Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #421
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Aluminum tubos aren't really sealed. Air will still be exchanged and the humidity will change. I wouldn't leave a tubo out more that a few days if at all.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #422
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Trading: (30)
MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

Ohok, I was reading on here or another forum and they said someone from habanos said that it would last 7 years out of a humidor. Crazy I know, thats why I came here to double check.

So Im guessing the main point of them is for gifting/ease of transporting?
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #423
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

I reuse tubos as single carriers, when I know I'm just going to smoke one cigar. Or they are good to put cigars in that you plan to give away(for safe transport).
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #424
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
Like years? Months?
I wouldn't risk more than a month. I dry box for that long with no problems.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #425
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
So Im guessing the main point of them is for gifting/ease of transporting?
That has always been my feeling... but then again what do I know!!! If I take it out of the humi the life expectancy is pretty short!!
Old 01-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #426
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Trading: (30)
MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

/\ haah. Well thanks guys.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #427
Chingo

How often do you guys that use Heartfelt beads have to recharge them? I don't remember the exact numbers, but I bought a 75% tube that's rated for over twice the volume of my small humidor. I have to recharge it about once a week and the humidity never goes past 62% or so. Is this abnormal? Or just a consequence of living in Southern California?
Old 01-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #428
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingo View Post
How often do you guys that use Heartfelt beads have to recharge them? I don't remember the exact numbers, but I bought a 75% tube that's rated for over twice the volume of my small humidor. I have to recharge it about once a week and the humidity never goes past 62% or so. Is this abnormal? Or just a consequence of living in Southern California?
I live in high summer humidity/low winter humidity area. From May to October, I may recharge once or twice. In the winter, once a month in my desktops. Maybe every other month in my cooler if that.

Are you recharging because of what reading you are getting? or the colors of the beads?
Old 01-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #429
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingo View Post
This sounds like a leaky humidor. You can check the seal with a small flashlight if you dont have a glass top box. Otherwise a dollar bill can be used around the edges to check if the seal is tight. If you find a spot where the bill slips loosely, that is where you have a leak. Masking or painters tape can be used to build up the edge where it is leaking.

You also should calibrate your hygrometer if you have not done so recently.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #430
Chingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier View Post
I live in high summer humidity/low winter humidity area. From May to October, I may recharge once or twice. In the winter, once a month in my desktops. Maybe every other month in my cooler if that.

Are you recharging because of what reading you are getting? or the colors of the beads?
Color of the beads. It doesn't get past the low 60's when soaking wet. I calibrated my hygro not too long ago because I suspected it was screwing up. I will check for leaks however.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #431
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Put your smokes, beads and hygrometer in a tupperware container. This should confirm both the Rh of the beads and the accuracy of the hygrometer, while you check the humidor for leaks. What kind of beads are you using?
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #432
Chingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Put your smokes, beads and hygrometer in a tupperware container. This should confirm both the Rh of the beads and the accuracy of the hygrometer, while you check the humidor for leaks. What kind of beads are you using?
I'm using the 70% (not 75% as I said before) Heartfelt beads. I did the tupperware test a while ago and the hygro was spot on. I haven't checked for leaks before though. I will do that tomorrow when I'm home.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #433
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Can tubos be stored outside of the humidor? It seems to me that it would be pointless to leave them in the humidor as they are sealed in an aluminum tube and the humidity is locked in. The only issue would be heat. I guess as long as it doesnt get over 70 or so they should be alright, right?
Aluminum Tubos are very poorly sealed. Of course the cigars within will last longer than those that are not if left in the open. From experiences in the past and from other discussions, I would not allow them to be out of a humidor for more than two weeks, maybe three weeks tops.

Glass Tubos, for the most part provide a much better seal, and will keep the cigar in good condition, outside of a humidor for a month or even two, but I wouldn't push it much longer than that! Be sure to check out the seal on the style of glass tubo in question, because a few styles are very poorly sealed. It should be obvious upon inspection which styles have the better seals.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #434
Pauly Walnuts

I got all these empty Cigar boxes from when my Aunt used to work at a Tobacco shop, too bad i was too young to smoke in those days otherwise she coulda got me mad discounts. anyway the point of this is wondering if anyone collects these things or just pitches em, cause i got a bunch and dont really need em.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #435
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Walnuts View Post
I got all these empty Cigar boxes from when my Aunt used to work at a Tobacco shop, too bad i was too young to smoke in those days otherwise she coulda got me mad discounts. anyway the point of this is wondering if anyone collects these things or just pitches em, cause i got a bunch and dont really need em.
Save 'em, use them to store multiple singles and 5'ers of cigars you don't have boxes for in your coolerdor.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #436
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Save 'em, use them to store multiple singles and 5'ers of cigars you don't have boxes for in your coolerdor.

You will need them as you slide down the slope.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #437
Pauly Walnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

You will need them as you slide down the slope.
Hhaha arite will do, thanks guys. If anyone needs some in teh mean time hit me up.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #438
Pauly Walnuts

I was contacted by a member askin me to check out his Newbie sampler for sale, but it wont let me view it. What is the criteria for being able to view his thread in that part of the forum? I already have 100 posts so it couldnt be that...
Old 01-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #439
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Walnuts View Post
I was contacted by a member askin me to check out his Newbie sampler for sale, but it wont let me view it. What is the criteria for being able to view his thread in that part of the forum? I already have 100 posts so it couldnt be that...
Time is a factor too...patience, my friend.

Just PM him back and ask him for the details via PM.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #440
Pauly Walnuts

Yes patience is a virtue, and by you not telling me how much time, Im probably gonna have to have alot of it. lol