Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #201
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

To Tom and all the readers and participants in this thread. The thread is being discussed among the admins. We have a policy prohibiting religious threads - much as we do political threads. I am making you all aware so that should the thread be closed, you will not be taken by surprise.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #202
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Peter-
I apologize that I posted this thread without conferring with a mod beforehand. As I'm sure you know, my only intention was to have a fun, interesting discussion to let people learn a little more about different perspectives we have on this board. I thought the first two days of this thread was going really well, and safely remained uncontroversial. Unfortunately, the questions as of late have pushed on to topics that are more controversial- to a place where I hoped it would not go, but looking back on it I honestly can't see how it couldn't get controversial. I just want to say, whatever the decision, I thank you and the team for allowing this thread to start and have a little fun. Thank you for being a great mod team- without you guys we'd all probably be at eachother's throats.

Thanks for heads up- we all appreciate it.
Peace,
MJ
Old 05-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #203
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
To Tom and all the readers and participants in this thread. The thread is being discussed among the admins. We have a policy prohibiting religious threads - much as we do political threads. I am making you all aware so that should the thread be closed, you will not be taken by surprise.
Do what you must. I must say I have had some fun and learned somethings myself here, so it has been a great experience for me, and I hope has been for you all as well.

I have really not seen any "controversy", as everything has been handled very amicably in a peaceful, communicative exchange of ideas.

Hope it continues, but "The Dude abides..."

Rabs

ps. for future reference a great website for all things jewish www.chabad.org
(actually the first and best Jewish website ever)
Old 05-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #204
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Sorry; my bad for moving things to controversial territory. Like the Elephant's Child, I'm just 'satiably curious about how different cultures interact with issues of evolutionary biology, and what the long term results are in a Darwinian sense.

Thank you for the education, Rabbi. Or is that an appropriate term of respect from a non-Jew?
TanithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #205
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
Sorry; my bad for moving things to controversial territory. Like the Elephant's Child, I'm just 'satiably curious about how different cultures interact with issues of evolutionary biology, and what the long term results are in a Darwinian sense.

Thank you for the education, Rabbi. Or is that an appropriate term of respect from a non-Jew?
You are welcome. That's fine.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #206
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Peter-
I apologize that I posted this thread without conferring with a mod beforehand. As I'm sure you know, my only intention was to have a fun, interesting discussion to let people learn a little more about different perspectives we have on this board. I thought the first two days of this thread was going really well, and safely remained uncontroversial. Unfortunately, the questions as of late have pushed on to topics that are more controversial- to a place where I hoped it would not go, but looking back on it I honestly can't see how it couldn't get controversial. I just want to say, whatever the decision, I thank you and the team for allowing this thread to start and have a little fun. Thank you for being a great mod team- without you guys we'd all probably be at eachother's throats.

Thanks for heads up- we all appreciate it.
Peace,
MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHagen View Post
Do what you must. I must say I have had some fun and learned somethings myself here, so it has been a great experience for me, and I hope has been for you all as well.

I have really not seen any "controversy", as everything has been handled very amicably in a peaceful, communicative exchange of ideas.

Hope it continues, but "The Dude abides..."

Rabs

ps. for future reference a great website for all things jewish www.chabad.org
(actually the first and best Jewish website ever)
I appreciate your understanding.

The Team of 11 tries to function as a team - which is why this is under discussion.

I agree that things have been civil. But history shows us that most, if not all, political and religious threads eventually turn south.

Thanks for your patience.

Shalom.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #207
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
I appreciate your understanding.

The Team of 11 tries to function as a team - which is why this is under discussion.

I agree that things have been civil. But history shows us that most, if not all, political and religious threads eventually turn south.

Thanks for your patience.

Shalom.
Gotta love that Team... much respect.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #208
potlimit
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
PL
potlimit is on a distinguished road

LOL, The dude abides
potlimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #209
ehdg
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (6)
ehdg is on a distinguished road

I for one have love this thread mostly. I appreciate the Rabbi taking the time to help us and answer questions. As a whole this thread was moving very nicely and staying above board. But it seems to have gone down a controversial path lately. It must either be bitten off now and stopped or sadly I do understand the admins having to close it down. I really hope they will give it a chance and the members here will refrain from some of the controversial stuff that came up. We don't need to be going down that road. We need a nice friendly topic, question/answer thread. The Rabbi is kind enough to give of his time and knowledge and some members really appreciate it and have some valid good questions to learn and get advise. In fact I honestly think if not for this thread some of these questions folks wouldn't be comfortable asking their own Rabbi for fear of being looked down upon or looking foolish. Least he we can do it blindly and don't feel embaresed. So pls lets try and get this back on topic and a friendly one.

Tks and this is my opinion not admins. So if I've over stepped I'm sorry and just lmk.
ehdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #210
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

HdM

I can certainly promise to lay off the controversial topics if that will make it okay to continue. I respect what the Rabbi is offering here, and I would not want to contribute to derailing it.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #211
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I had a question that I thought might have been controversial, therefore I sent the question to the Rabbi via pm. He graciously answered my question there. I like this thread and hope it stays open. If anyone has a question that they think may be even slightly controversial, please send it via pm.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #212
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
I had a question that I thought might have been controversial, therefore I sent the question to the Rabbi via pm. He graciously answered my question there. I like this thread and hope it stays open. If anyone has a question that they think may be even slightly controversial, please send it via pm.

This is what the OP advised in his first post. PM the controversial. This thread isn't dead... keep 'em coming gents!!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #213
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

HdM

Rabbi, do you know about Gan Eden Winery? The owner is an observant Jew and an old ASC cigar fan whom I've enjoyed smoking with, and he makes some awesome kosher wine products. I think he stopped labeling them as "kosher wines" because they're much, much better than the usual range of what is marketed under that name, and it was killing his sales. But he is definitely an observant Jew and makes his wines according to proper procedure. Tasty stuff, too.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #214
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Anonymous, possibly controversial (cause I'm a Sox fan from NY) question I was asked...

Yes. Kevin Youkilis is the best clutch hitter in the American League.
(also according to Mike Francesa (for those that don't know he's the biggest name in sports talk in NY, and a Yankee fan) Yes. Youk is Jewish. Yes. He is on my fantasy team.

No. Cigars are better for you than Chimichangas, especially if you are having 1 a day.

Yes. I have woke up to find out that I am the "Eyes of the World"

No. White Russians are not a substitute for Green Mountain Coffee.

I will have that cooked Medium.

Last edited by TomHagen; 05-21-2009 at 10:26 PM.
TomHagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #215
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Rabbi, do you know about Gan Eden Winery? The owner is an observant Jew and an old ASC cigar fan whom I've enjoyed smoking with, and he makes some awesome kosher wine products. I think he stopped labeling them as "kosher wines" because they're much, much better than the usual range of what is marketed under that name, and it was killing his sales. But he is definitely an observant Jew and makes his wines according to proper procedure. Tasty stuff, too.
No. I am not familiar with him.

It doesn't make sense that calling, labeling his wines "Kosher" would kill his sales, due to the fact that most companies are clamoring to get their products (especially WINES, if they are any good) certified Kosher.

It used to be a bad thing because people would automatically think cough-syrup Manascheiwcz. But that stopped at least a decade ago, with the tremendous influx of Israeli, French, Italian, Austalian and Cali wines that are not only good, but get top ratings consistantly.

Personally, I like Northern Israeli Wines from the Golan and Galil. I also like some of the French and some of the sweet Italian dessert wines.
Almost anything from the Golan Winery and Galil wines is delicious.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #216
BillyCigars

Thanks again for your education, Rabbi!

I have 1 other question I hoped you could answer:

"+214)
For a groom to rejoice with his wife for one year"

Could you expand on this? For instance, why only 1 year? When referring to "rejoicing" what does it entail? Is it supposed to be a 1 year honeymoon? Lavish gifts for 1 year? What happens in month 13?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:16 AM   #217
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCigars View Post
Thanks again for your education, Rabbi!

I have 1 other question I hoped you could answer:

"+214)
For a groom to rejoice with his wife for one year"

Could you expand on this? For instance, why only 1 year? When referring to "rejoicing" what does it entail? Is it supposed to be a 1 year honeymoon? Lavish gifts for 1 year? What happens in month 13?

Thanks in advance!!!

In short, it means he cannot be recruited, and sent out to war. There are other leniencies involved as well, regarding financial commitments etc., in order that he (& she) can devote all of his attention to her, ingratiating her into their homelife together, setting the foundations of marriage in a joyous manner, free from certain (not all) other cares/distractions. Month 13 he just becomes a normal citizen.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #218
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Trading: (3)
Army (Retired)
Tikihut27 has a spectacular aura aboutTikihut27 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHagen View Post
In short, it means he cannot be recruited, and sent out to war.
Rabbi- thanks for the info and for being a good sport. I've learned a lot from reading your answers.

My question re this answer:

Do the Israeli Armed Forces adhere to this policy? What if it's an emergency? What if the Soldier doesn't want to stay home?

Might be outside your lane, I realize...
Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #219
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I can certainly promise to lay off the controversial topics if that will make it okay to continue. I respect what the Rabbi is offering here, and I would not want to contribute to derailing it.

You mentioned earlier that Jews are expected to marry only other Jews, but is it true that Jews are encouraged to "practice" with non-Jews. I think there is even a Jewish term for such "practice." I'm hoping this is not too controversial of a topic?
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #220
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

HdM

Just a little LOL tribute to our favorite Rabbi.