Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
darb85

Default any cyclists/roadies?

Ive been into cycling the last three years, at first doing tris but now just kinda focusing on swimming and cycling, I hate running.

So any fellow Roadies?

I ride a 2006 Allez Triple. Speed play pedals and profile design aero bars are the only real add ons ive done. Ive got a fancy bladed carbon front wheel for it but it needs a new tire and I havent done it yet.

I ride about 100-200 miles a week and this past weekend did the Rat ride. 62 miles around Torch lake in Elk rapids. Awesome ride except for the cramp that hit with 18 miles to go. No power on the hills. Still managed to average 17.83(is that good by the way? I never really know)

Did 20 miles yesterday and averaged 18.1 but it was mostly flat(reletive here in Northern michigan but ya.)

So how bout it?

Pics of my ride when I get home!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: any cyclists/roadies?

Newbie roadie here. I ride a Look 566 Origin. Been riding since winter last year. I ride 2x (half hour warm up then hill repeats or intervals) on weekdays then do a longer group ride on Saturday (> 40miles) followed by a shorter and easier ride on Sundays. I ride around 10 hrs per week.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Opusfxd
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Opusfxd is on a distinguished road

Been a roadie all my life and playing with sprint tris since 04. With the kids and work, I'm lucky to get out twice a week for about 20 each. Then there's the weird weather this year that doesn't help much either. Tirreno Razza triple until this winter then that triple is getting replaced by a compact setup from SRAM and some better wheels.
Opusfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
darb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opusfxd View Post
Been a roadie all my life and playing with sprint tris since 04. With the kids and work, I'm lucky to get out twice a week for about 20 each. Then there's the weird weather this year that doesn't help much either. Tirreno Razza triple until this winter then that triple is getting replaced by a compact setup from SRAM and some better wheels.
Im looking to do the same on my allez. SRAM is a direct replacement for shimano stuff right?

also, you wouldnt happen to know of a wheel manufature of ERG would you? I got a carbon blade front wheel from a friend thats probably 10-15 years old and I cant find any info on it.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
darb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonggoy View Post
Newbie roadie here. I ride a Look 566 Origin. Been riding since winter last year. I ride 2x (half hour warm up then hill repeats or intervals) on weekdays then do a longer group ride on Saturday (> 40miles) followed by a shorter and easier ride on Sundays. I ride around 10 hrs per week.

nice. thats semi similar to what I do but my saturday rides are usually 50-60 miles. though not so much this year. Had zero time to train. getting back into it now though, if this freaking rain will go away, Thinking of breaking out the sweater and staring at the walls again...
Old 07-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Another newbie here. I ride a Trek 1200. Unfortunately I haven't gotten out much this summer, but normally I ride about 500-600miles a summer (not very hardcore, lol).
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Wanger

Just started this year (to start doing sprint tris). Got a trek 1.2. Good beginner bike for me, not knowing how I was going to like it...I LOVE it. I'm already doing my second tri this coming Sat. (my first was July 11th). I may step up to Olympic distance next year, with my eye on a half iron within a few years, and dreaming of being able to train to do THE Ironman...Hawaii.

I've never had a bike this nice before, and I realize that having a good bike makes a HUGE difference in your enjoyment of riding. I'm thinking that I'll potentially do some duathlons, too. The ride on my bike is so smooth. I just need to incrementally upgrade components on it, though. It's a good start, I feel, though.

Question for you guys...when I ride, I tend to get some numbness in the outside of my hand and middle-pinkie fingers. How much of a difference would gloves make? Or would I be better off in getting some arrows?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
darb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Just started this year (to start doing sprint tris). Got a trek 1.2. Good beginner bike for me, not knowing how I was going to like it...I LOVE it. I'm already doing my second tri this coming Sat. (my first was July 11th). I may step up to Olympic distance next year, with my eye on a half iron within a few years, and dreaming of being able to train to do THE Ironman...Hawaii.

I've never had a bike this nice before, and I realize that having a good bike makes a HUGE difference in your enjoyment of riding. I'm thinking that I'll potentially do some duathlons, too. The ride on my bike is so smooth. I just need to incrementally upgrade components on it, though. It's a good start, I feel, though.

Question for you guys...when I ride, I tend to get some numbness in the outside of my hand and middle-pinkie fingers. How much of a difference would gloves make? Or would I be better off in getting some arrows?

Gloves will help, However, Sounds like you need to have the bike adjusted a bit for you. were you fit on the bike when you bought it? go in To your shop and tell them whats going on and they will probably be able to adjust it to help rid this problem
Old 07-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:

I am not sure about the numbness but gloves are more important to me than my helmet as many times as they have saved my palms from road rash, they are worth the try. I find they do help in overall comfort too

I ride a Giant OCR-1 and need to get out more but just haven't lately. I just have the shimano 105 set up and keep toying on whether or not I want to upgrade or just get a new bike. I've only been riding a few years so i feel like seat time is more important than new components but I can't help but want better
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
Wanger

I hope I can get the bike in before this weekend. I was fitted for it when I bought it, though. It's more of an annoyance than anything, but I don't enjoy the feeling and it takes a bit away from my concentration of riding while I'm on the bike.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
I am not sure about the numbness but gloves are more important to me than my helmet as many times as they have saved my palms from road rash, they are worth the try. I find they do help in overall comfort too
No cigar for you ...
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonggoy View Post
No cigar for you ...
Just saying I have never landed on my head but have o my hands numerous times, i should have noted that I do wear my helmet EVERY time I ride.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #13
Opusfxd
Adjusting to the Life

Bolivar
Opusfxd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I may step up to Olympic distance next year, with my eye on a half iron within a few years, and dreaming of being able to train to do THE Ironman...Hawaii.

Good luck to you!! My doctor basically told me to decide if I want to play with my kids later or do longer distance tris. I had to choose the kids, I'm already looking at a knee replacement later. I'll listen to this guy, he's been on the Olympic med staff for cycling many many times.

Your numbness, change your had position more often. It's a common issue. I used to get so numb that I could whack the outside of my hand against a truck as hard as I could and not feel a thing. Aero bars might help some but you can only ride them safely in a limited set of situations.
Opusfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #14
RichardW
Committed

Trading: (10)
Partagas
RichardW is on a distinguished road

Relative newbie -- riding a Raleigh Cadent 2.0 for the last three years. Not as much road time this summer as I'd like.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #15
Sancho
Puddle Jumper

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
Sancho has disabled reputation

Quote:
...Question for you guys...when I ride, I tend to get some numbness in the outside of my hand and middle-pinkie fingers. How much of a difference would gloves make? Or would I be better off in getting some arrows?
Ride a C'Dale Mountain bike, and an old converted Singlespeed roadie

The numbness can also be cause by inproper seat angle I've been told fwiw. I found gloves, I have pearl izumi's with huge gel pads, work the best for me but it doesnt totally get rid of the sensation just delays the onset. Best thing to do for me was to switch hand positions often and put some very soft hoods on my levers
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #16
Wanger

Brought the bike in for a tuneup and explained my issue to them. They said that they can tweak some things, and I can get arrows. Still mulling over the arrows, as the ones I'd like be getting are a bit pricy (for me, anyways). I might pick up some gloves when I get my bike this afternoon, though. I still have to decide. Got a tri coming up this weekend and there are some good straight stretches on the course, so I'm still torn. I love the feeling of cruising down the road at a pretty good clip, so it might be in my best interest to get them.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #17
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

fxpose is a one. Hopefully he'll chime in once he logs on.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #18
tobii3

Alright, the dinosaur shall speak up...

1987 Centurion IronMan Expert (56cm)...

All Shimano 105....180mm crankset, 39/53 front, 11/19 rear (road) and 11/25 (mountain) Mavic wheelsets, the '88 model LOOK pedals.

What can I say, I have more miles on that bike than most people have on their cars. Half Centuries, Metric Centuries, Centuries as well as the dreaded Double Century....and ONE...and ONLY one....attempt at the Markleeville Death Ride.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road

I love almost all aspects of cycling......road bikes (geared, single speed, and fixed), mountain biking, and touring.....although it's been a long while since I've done any touring.

I know a few that did the Death Ride a couple of weeks ago....there are a few ride reports on a couple of cycling boards I frequent.
The most difficult ride I've done was the LA Wheelmen Grand Tour double century (highland route) last year on my fixed gear.

Glad to see a bunch of cyclists on this board!
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #20
gnbikes
Feeling at Home

First Name: Garry
Trading: (3)
RyJ
gnbikes is on a distinguished road

Okay, I'll chime in here. I have been a roadie for the last 22 years. The last 2 years I have been off of the bikes, but I still love them. I also happen to work for Raleigh America after running a local bike shop for 11 years. Right now my stable has 12 road bikes in it, from 1980's Italian steel, custom steel creations from Della Santa and Bill Stevenson, to current carbon fiber wounder bikes. I have done as much as 5K miles in a year, but when I have ridden I generally do 2-3000 miles a year. Yes I know how to build good wheels, fix and glue tubulars and I can track down any squeek, rattle or buzz. I won't ride carbon wheels, and I don't have to replace my equipment just because there is something newer or "cooler". Call me a retro-grouch if you must, but I can have as much fun riding my steel fixxed wheel bike as I can the 16 pound carbon critter.
Anyway, now you know why the GNBikes moniker too.
Garry
gnbikes is offline   Reply With Quote