Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-22-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation
Default Leon Jimenes

Size: 5.5 x 50 Robusto
Wrapper: USA Conneticut Shade
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dominican Republic
Body: Medium- Full
Strength: Medium
Humidor Time: 6 Months

This was gifted to me some time back and I have been a tad hesitant to light it up, not sure why, but it has been giving me attitude and I have decided it was time to smoke it. The wrapper is a nice dark brown, not what I am used to seeing in a Connecticut shade. The wrapper is rough to the touch but extremely oily. The veins are not prominent but has a similar look that maduros have. The cigar responds with a nice rebound when squeezed. The pre-light draw tasted of mild cocoa, the air traveled nicely, not too loose, just right for me.

As I set the flame to the foot of the cigar, I was given a nice creamy cocoa flavor right off the bat. The foot did take a bit longer to light than I had anticipated, but the flavor from the start easily compensated for that. With a lot of thick smoke billowing out, the texture was creamy and smooth.

The ash held strong, the burn on the other hand was a bit rocky, I did not have to touch it up, but a good amount of rotating was needed to keep it from burning uneven.

As I was moving further into the body I was picking up a citrus flavor that mingled rather well with the cocoa flavors, this was enjoyable. The finish was nutty with a sweet aftertaste.

Every now and then I would get a light touch of pepper, I notice this would happen as I smoked too fast and heated up the cigar, so I backed off and the pepper would slip away and allow the cocoa citrus to remain the main flavors I tasted.

With only an inch left, I let this cigar rest in the ashtray and prove to me that this was no ordinary smoke, it was one that needs to be respected for the quality that it is. I was pleasently surprised and now want to make sure I have a few more of these on hand.

Recommended? Absolutely!!!
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Leon Jimenes

Great review... ill have to pick some of these up.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

I've had a couple of Jimenes coronas. Nice flavor profile, but not as rich or complex as your robusto. Like yours, they were definitely prone to overheating if smoked too fast. I'll have to try a larger ring gauge.

Thanks for the review.

BlackIrish
Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
warpedcigars
Warehouse Smoking

Trading: (11)
warpedcigars is on a distinguished road

Awesome review. I had a Series 300, a few days ago and was highly disappointed in it. Ill have to give these a try.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

I have tried the 300 also, really not that impressive. With this cigar, maybe I was in the right moment to enjoy it.
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote