Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Trading: (0)
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Padilla Habano Burberry Perfecto

well, some of you may remember discussing this cigar last month over on this thread:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...light=burberry

last night, i decided to try one. now, i know i'm really opening myself up to some ridicule due to all the discussion recently around the gimmicky nature of gurkha, patel, etc - and let's face it, this is about as gimmicky as the come - so, fire away. i don't usually go for the silly stuff, but;

- padilla's generally been at least ok to me
- it's not much worse than all the barber pole stuff that's been showing up lately
- and i love burberry. i think it's a really cool fashion house. i'm not into "scents", but their cologne (brit) is really nice. so, put a plaid hat on me and call me a chav!

anyway - on to the cigar. construction looks very good. firm and feels substantial. has a very pungent pre-light aroma. hmm.

after lighting, the first 10 puffs or so were really acrid. kind've tasted like putting a battery on your tongue. was worried at this point that i've got a real stinker on my had. but then, it evened out. i think it was just something to do with the perfecto shape.

this cigar has a very floral aroma to the smoke and taste. almost minty too, the first half. not very complex. mint changed to a basic cedar flavor, again, staying on the light side, but not unpleasant. burned very well - a few touch-ups here and there, but nothing major. i drank some cheap evan williams bourbon with it and that seemed to go nicely. (if you're looking for a decent economical thrill, you can't beat evan!).

this cigar was easy to nose-exhale. i agree with what da klugs has discussed out here recently that exhaling an NC thru the nose can most times be a dangerous proposition. typically will bring tears to your eyes with most non cubans. not this one though. really got that floral-ness when exhaling thru the nose. i did this about 1/3 to 1/2 the time.

all and all, not a bad experience. would i buy this again? no, not for $7 per stick - not when i could have instead, say, an Upmann No. 2 for about the same price. it was fun smoking it though - and a decent cigar to give to the uninitiated looking to mooch. can't wait to see the look on their faces when i do!

cigar lasted about 100 minutes too, which was rather unexpected.

cheers!
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Padilla Habano Burberry Perfecto

Got a 10 pack of these from joecigar, looking forward to giving them a shot. Nice review.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post

i drank some cheap evan williams bourbon with it and that seemed to go nicely. (if you're looking for a decent economical thrill, you can't beat evan!).

Evan Williams is the shiznit! Try it with a little club soda!
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

First I've heard of these!!!

Thanks for the review!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review, I have been wanting to try these, but I don't want to pay MSRP. I will grab some of these the next time I see them on sale, or the next time I go to Steve's house.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Exactly.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 AM   #7
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Not sure about the cigar but,

"i drank some cheap evan williams bourbon with it and that seemed to go nicely. (if you're looking for a decent economical thrill, you can't beat evan!)."

I don't drink EV, I agree a budget bourbon, but their EVSB which is 10 years old however, is nothing like regular EV at all. Absolutely great stuff. It is my preffered bourbon, but typically not in bars. Unfortuantly it's has been going up in price these past few years as more people hear about it. Used to be ~$20 or so, now $23 - $25 depending on where you find it.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
shortstory5

Thanks for the review. It might have convinced me to smoke mine. By looking at it, I figured it would unravel/have tons of burn issues, so I decided to just let it sit. I wasn't going to put myself through what I thought was going to be a poor smoking experience. Glad to hear it was constructed well. Maybe I'll fire it up this week.