Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Barbers

So as I sit here looking at my latest jacked up haircut from the navy exchange it got me thinking. Why the hell do I go there when last time I said why the hell did I go there and what makes a barber a real barber. I usually go to a barber that gives one heck of a high and tight, with a straight razor neck shave with hot shave cream and a scalp massage. Before Groton I went to one that was run by two old ass men. It smelled funny was poorly lit and the conversation revolved around the weather, but I ALWAYS got a sat haircut. At the NEX I have to say" nooo can you take some off here, can you ahhh sh$t well never mind I guess that's fine" I'm a man dammit I should not have to say anything about how the barber is to cut my hair. I should just have to sit down look at him grunt and that's it. Then it will be like yeah sure is ........ today.
So what are your thoughts on barbers? Good, bad, painfull, whatever. What makes a barber a barber and the NEX and fantastic f@ckyour hairup a haircut place?

Last edited by 688sonarmen; 03-30-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Unsat haircut
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Barbers

I think that barbers are getting harder to come by. We have this one guy who is in his late 60s who has been cutting hair since my first haircut (i'm 43) and when he is gone it's only beauty shops here then.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
Trading: (0)
scoot is on a distinguished road

If at anytime during the haircut hot lather and a straight razor is used in some fashion, whether it be on your neck or your face, and you didn't have to request it, you've got youreself a real barber.

Also, if you can sit down and say maybe one or two words at most regarding the cut you want and still get the desired results, thats a good barber. Its just like any other service, if you are a regular customer at a particular establishment the more the employees remember about what you want just by your face, the better they probably are at their job.

P.S. If you regularly frequent SuperCuts, you're doing it wrong.
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road

I remember my barber when I was a little kid. Louie Baily... I remember always getting to pick out a sucker from a big ol' drawer when I was done. Then I when I was in grade school, my parents were scared of the whole head lice thing so I went about 5 or 6 years with no hair at all. Now... unfortunately there's only beauty salons as far as the eye can see. I would love to find a good old time barber again. Somebody that you don't even mention anything about your hair to when you sit down, you just BS for awhile and then you're done. Clean and consistent time after time.
Nabinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
If at anytime during the haircut hot lather and a straight razor is used in some fashion, whether it be on your neck or your face, and you didn't have to request it, you've got youreself a real barber.
Gotta have the hot lather and straight razor!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

I love me some Flowbee...
http://www.flowbee.com/

Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

I had a the old fashion barber. One old guy, and one middle aged guy. playboys on the table and dirty jokes told while you waited. Old west decorations on the old guys side and surfing theme on the middle age guys side. and yes they provided the hot lather and straight razor clean up. two of the nicest men you will ever meet. i frequented the shop for a few years. I stopped going to them after i could never get the same hair cut each time.

yes now i go to supercuts. i get this middle aged lady who remembers me and cuts my hair the same, every time.

I do miss the razor treatment and the atmosphere of the barber shop, but it can't beat getting the same cut every time you go in.
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

I miss my barber... went to him for almost 20 years till he retired. His sons took over the shop, but they were more butchers than barbers... every time I left there, I would have to touch up something... either the sideburns were uneven, or the neck was trimmed crooked, etc...

So now I go to the "stylist" my old school uncle turned me on to... At Silvio's "salon" all I have to do is sit down... he does the rest. The only difference is now there are hot chicks sitting in the chair next to me.

Do I miss the personality of a barber shop? Yes... but ill trade off for the salon dripping with good looking women!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
uncballzer

Started going to the barber when I was in undergrad--a place just down Franklin St. in Chapel Hill. Ron, Don and Phil. Each gave me a great cut every time. My roommate one day talked me into going to a salon with him--never again will I do that; this lady talked about how long she had been cutting hair and how great she was the whole damn time when I mentioned how I wanted it--she left a full patch of hair on the left uncut! I've been in 2 other towns since, luckily both with several barber shops; I find the one I like the best, and have yet to be truly displeased. Before I had found that first barber shop in Chapel Hill, I had always gotten my hair cut by my cousin's wife at the only salon/stylist in the one street town--so they were everyone's haircutters. Did that for 18 years of my life, now, it's the barber.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

My barber is awesome. He keeps telling me how he is trying to get people to become barbers, but no one wants to do it. He said you can make some good money, but no one wants to go to the 10 or 11 month school to become one
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
P.S. If you regularly frequent SuperCuts, you're doing it wrong.
Doh!!!

Honestly though, I don't know the last time I was to a barber, and probably wasn't old enough to determine if a good job was done or not.

I've had my haircut twice since Christmas at Supercuts and once 8.5 years ago for my wedding. Other than that I've gone from hair long enough for a pony tail to clipping it myself. 3 professional cuts in over 14 years.

I think we still have a couple of barber shops back home, but I don't know what their routines are like. I doubt straight razors are used for anything.

I have a friend living in the middle east Qatar, who gets a straight razor shave and barber work done and says it's the best anywhere.

I haven't decided yet if I will continue with pro cuts or if I will just go back to the clippers.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:12 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Barbers are becoming more and more popular in Boston as less expensive alternative to the salon for men. $20, good cut and quick.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:39 AM   #13
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

We have some decent barbers here on the North Shore including one shop where the owner is the third generation of his family to own this shop.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 AM   #14
Gone Dave

Yes, To have a good barber is worth his wieght in gold!
I dont need to go there any more,but I take my son who is seven to a "barber" shop and have taken him to the same guy "tattoo man" since his first cut.. But I asked if he could do a h&t and he said yes... and could .. so now I hope it pays out for my son
Old 03-31-2009, 06:23 AM   #15
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Just an additional note, I had similar experiences as sonarmen using the base barber shop at Parris Island when I was stationed there. It was better to go off base either to the Air Station or into Beaufort to get a hair cut that was within regulations.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

I've got a good barber in Raleigh. Old time place near NCSU called Man-mur. No credit cards, cash only (makes sense to me). They still strop the straight razor and give you a good shave. Love to swing by "Pipes by George" on haircut day.

Now if they had one of these in Raleigh, I might switch it up a bit.

http://just4himhaircutlounge.com/

Looks like a Hooters for haircuts......
Old 04-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

While I was up at college I went to a barber, the only times in my life I have ever went to one. Gave a terrible haircut. The person who normally cuts my hair is this hot ass milf in her mid 40's. Not only do I look forward to my monthly cut for obvious reasons but she also does a hell of a job. Im not ashamed for going to a "beauty shop"
Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I do not like women cutting my hair. Fine for them to sweep the floor or be at the front desk, but I have never had a good hair cut from a woman.

I do not tell a barber how to cut my hair. If he can't figure out what looks best on me, I do not trust his skill. If I have to tell him how to cut it, I should do it myself, lol... I keep my hair short, so there's not many options. I like all scissors cut if possible to make him work!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Hair .... oh sweet hair.

I remember when I had hair (on the top of my head).
Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #20
Smoking Dragon
formerly sergeant smoky

First Name: John
Trading: (67)
Cohiba Army (Disabled Vet)
Smoking Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSmoking Dragon has a spectacular aura about

Once I couldn't find a barbershop that I could get a hot towel and razor treatment I went out and bought a set of clippers. It saves money but I still miss the times spent in a barbershop. I still hold out hope that I will find another one one day.

Sarge
Smoking Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote