Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Camacho black band C (Triple maduro 50/4.5)

Some time ago, Camacho cigars made a viral advertising campaign called ‘the black band project’ that was supposed to take care of all the prejudice there is about Cuban cigars versus Non Cuban cigars. Everybody, well, almost everybody as the demand was bigger than Camacho expected and there were problems with the shipping, that signed up and watched the video’s got 3 cigars for free.

The third and final cigar from the box was a 4 ½ x 50 (petit) robusto with the original name 50/4.5. This cigar is the first all maduro cigar in the world and consists of 5 different Honduran maduro tobaccos. The dark wrapper is almost black and very oily. There are just a few veins running over the wrapper. The aroma of the cigar is peppery chocolate and quite strong. The construction feels good. The predraw is on the easy side and gives me a dry raisin flavor.

The sweet coffee I tasted wasn’t what I expected but after a few puffs I for the expected pepper boost combined with mild chocolate. The coffee and chocolate fade away quickly and I am left with a sweet black pepper.

The chocolate returns pretty quickly on the background. After an inch and a half the strength of the pepper tones down a bit and half an inch later the chocolate becomes the dominant flavor with pepper as a support. At the 2/3rd point the flavors change again, the pepper grows and becomes the dominant flavor until the end.

The draw is on the easy side but the smoke makes up for it, lots of thick white smoke. Smoke this in Vatican City and people think there is a new pope chosen. The burn is straight and the ash is firm and white. It took me 75 minutes to finish this cigar.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, me likey this cigar.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice
Default Re: Camacho black band C (Triple maduro 50/4.5)

Nice review, Ferdie. These are supposed to be the Holy Grail of maddies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Nice review and pics. This is one of my favorite cigars, if you can get a hold of the 11/18 size you are in for a treat.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Ferdinand, I agree with your review 100%. I really enjoyed this cigar.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Another great review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review...I have been waiting for this one.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

wow - looks like a great stick. thanks for posting!
wolfandwhisky is offline   Reply With Quote