Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-16-2009, 06:54 AM   #101
Hardcz

Default Re: Silound's Dog-Rocket Review Challenge!

no. 10

no real aroma from the stick, faint grass on the predraw

draw is pretty tight, has ok flavors, light spice with a sweet kint on the finish.

tastes like dry tobacco...little pepper replaced the spice though, still tight as heck... it's not a terrible cigar... though the draw is making it a bitz....

I smoked it about half way through when my jaw started to hurt. I might smoke one again if given to me, though would rather now. If the draw was better it might be a different story.

no. 13

This thing looks to have delevoped a box press look. It's tigher than a **** anyways, I cut it and was surprised by the draw, it's actually quite looose, almost too loose. I'm getting a black pepper in the back of my throat though on the predraw... kind of scarry.. Cap has a crack in it...so I have to spit tobacco...

lighting up I a mouth full of musty/moldy flavor and a cup full of pepper. This is quite terrible... a ton of smoke...

I'm starting to get sick and it's only an half inch into the cigar....

I tuffed it out for another inch and I have developed a headache. My mouth is burning with pepper with a moldy food flavor. Please save these only for those you hate. I tossed the stick at roughly 2 inches smoked. I'm sorry but it's just that bad.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #102
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
Hmmm, this Davi 6000 I'm smoking tastes pretty good. How's that dog stick you're working on again?
@#$%@$#%@#$%
Old 02-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #103
Hardcz

Can't believe only 3 left...I'm blessed!
Old 02-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #104
Hardcz

no. 14

Smells like dry tobacco. Tastes like dry hay and a little spoiled.

As the cigar approaches 1.5 inches it's developing a dusty flavor... Ok so I decided to drink a coke with this... it's improving the flavor. Something of dust, very dry hay and I guess you can call it sour. Something that makes your face scrunch up and go YUCK! There is a spice after effect ,and strange, only while drawing, when the smoke hits your tongue it's almost a pleasant flavor, then it's quickly overshadowed with the nastness that makes you want to bite off the tip of your tongue so your death will come quickly.

This cigar is an occidental reserve, whatever the hell that is... it should be accidental reserve... because it's bad.... My thought is some company made this to see how it was, it sucked, so they sold them to stores as a "house brand"

You have worse in that bundle, though this deserves to be with them.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #105
Hardcz

no. 15

Band says 777, I believe it says By. Jesus Fuego on there... so it's gotta be good.

It's a black cigar, smells great, a sweet tobacco smell. Prelight draw there is a faint taste of tobacco and black liccorice taste.

Lighting it up, it's not bad...spicy, and a bitter taste, tons of smoke, and a unpleasant heartburn flavor after.

This continued until my throat is feeling like I just drank a bottle of hot sauce....
I had to put this stick down half way..I need ice cream to put this fire out.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #106
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Aww man, I'm way behind. OK...

I did smoke #9 last weekend. I was waiting for HK3 to email me the pics but oh well.

#9 was honestly not a bad smoke. Mild, decent flavor, didn't smell like burning garbage. I would not consider Dog Rocket #9 to be a dog rocket.

Dog Rocket #10

From Silound's description: Ok, another “no-clue” bundle. Something from Cigar Connection in Florida that costs $11 a bundle….4 years ago. 4 years has done nothing but improve these cigars….improve how badly they taste.

My take: A toro sized cigar, deep brown wrapper with a few spots but not a bad looking stick. Well rolled too. Pre-light draw is faint hay and tobacco.

First few draws are sweet and woody. Not bad, BUT I am not getting my hopes up. The cigar is heavy and has a perfect draw.

About 2" in and this cigar is not bad so far. On the mild side, a bit of spice and a woodsy flavor. The aroma coming from the foot is nice.

About halfway through and doing fine. The dominant flavor is still woodsy but with an earthy finish. If I had to guess I would say that this cigar is Honduran. The burn is a little crooked but not bad.

Man, I nubbed this thing. Not a dog rocket by a long shot IMO.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #107
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

I'm diggin this thread. Almost 2100 views so far, obviously this is quality entertainment
Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #108
borndead1

Partagas

Dog Rocket #11

From Silound's description: Another “your guess is as good as mine” cigar.

My take: A churchill sized cigar with what appears to be a Connecticut wrapper. Heavy in the hand and well rolled. Pre-light draw is faint tobacco and hay. Draw is perfect.

First few draws were NOT good. A stale, mildewy flavor. Dammit, why did this cigar have to be so big? This is at least 1 hour of punishment.

As I typed that last sentence, the flavor improved somewhat. Settled into a typical cheap Connecticut wrap bundle cigar flavor. I LOVE mild Connecticut wrap cigars, but this one so far is almost too mild. This cigar reminds me of several Finck Cigar house brands, really mild, not good and not bad but definitely not worth buying again.

About 1" in, same story. Super mild with only a tiny bit of flavor in the nose exhale. Not a bad cigar so to speak. I guess NO flavor is better than BAD flavor!

About 2" in....same old same old. This would be a good cigar for a girl, or someone who has never smoked a cigar before. This thing is milder than a Macanudo.

About halfway....WOW this cigar is BORING. And this coming from a guy who loves mild cigars! Smoking this thing is like smoking warm air. It does smell good though.

With about 2" left, I gotta toss this cigar. I'm afraid I will fall asleep while smoking it and start a fire.

Conclusion: Not a dog rocket only because it had NO flavor.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #109
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I'm diggin this thread. Almost 2100 views so far, obviously this is quality entertainment
Entertaining to watch two guys smoke dog rockets... you bet!

Sorry for not emailing the pictures Mark.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #110
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Entertaining to watch two guys smoke dog rockets... you bet!

Sorry for not emailing the pictures Mark.

I should have done a review of the Thompson cigar I tried to smoke right after. THAT was a dog rocket!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #111
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
I should have done a review of the Thompson cigar I tried to smoke right after. THAT was a dog rocket!
Hey Tuskers are bad arse!
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #112
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
The aroma coming from the foot is AWFUL. Like burning urine. Like if you peed on a grill or something.

About 1" in, and the flavor has changed to match the aroma. Scorched urine. Imagine peeing on a restaurant-style flat grill and breathing and tasting the smoke from your burning pee. . . .

2" in...oh my god this cigar tastes awful...but what a complex smoke! The aroma of scorched urine has been replaced by a stench sort of like an overheated car engine. Like burning oil or power steering fluid.

Gawd, man, the flavor of this "cigar" is unbearable. It tastes like a dead animal smells. Like picking up a dead rat, lighting its face, and puffing on its butthole. . .
These are some of the best descriptions I've read.

Thank you, brothers, for your service to our little community.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #113
tony montana

oh lord, this is so funny...
it makes me laugh every time i open this thread and start to read it...

i would like to you guys for taking this job in the name of cigar science

greets tjeerd
Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #114
Hardcz

well I smoked the last one.. WOOT!!!
no. 16

This cigar was a bigger RG maybe 52-54.

It has no real aroma to it, tastes like a summer dry grass. Light it up, and it's not bad. Average or slightly less than on the dan scale. I don't care for it, though I'll smoke it. I can see newbies buying these, I'd wager they sell for 3-5 a stick at a B&M.

As the cigar burns down, I start to have smoke issues, it started off with a load of smoke, but then wittled down to just a little, maybe 1/4 to what it was. There are no burn issues, not much flavor, just a light tobacco flavor, barely leathery. The void of other flavors is disturbing, comforting, and yet what I expected. At least I don't taste crap, or something else nasty.

Cigar got down to about 1/3 left and really hasn't changed much. I was hoping this last one would be a final hurah! But there's nothing of note that I can say than it's just a blah cigar. Something you might smoke if you don't care if you throw it out or if it gets wet...ie smoking in the rain.

Dude...

I'm so happy to be done with this. I don't have to open my humi anymore and feal for my life. There's nothing to keep me from opening up the humi anymore... I'd deliberatly avoid opening it to see what was inside.

OH CRAP! I said I'd try no. 17 if that ever came around....

*sigh* we'll see..... @#$%@#$%$#%
Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #115
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
no. 14

it's quickly overshadowed with the nastness that makes you want to bite off the tip of your tongue so your death will come quickly.

hahahhah, instant classic
Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #116
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
OH CRAP! I said I'd try no. 17 if that ever came around....

*sigh* we'll see..... @#$%@#$%$#%

Well, number 17 is still.....fermenting? so it will be at least a week or two before it gets out to you
Old 02-23-2009, 11:05 PM   #117
mojo65
Relocation Engineer

First Name: mark
Trading: (4)
Punch
mojo65 is on a distinguished road

O that dont sound good......
Old 02-24-2009, 04:32 AM   #118
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

I tip my hat to all of you. This thread has had some of the best entertainment that I have seen in a long time. Thank goodness that I have spare keyboards after reading some of this stuff.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #119
Hardcz

Quote:
Well, number 17 is still.....fermenting? so it will be at least a week or two before it gets out to you
I've seriously been slacking on the pictures... so I do apologize for that... 17 will receive a full page photo spread.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #120
Hardcz

lets give Silound the rep he deserves as the king of nastiness!