Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough
Default Esencia Corona Gorda

I received a pair of these in the Christmas give away last week.

I was planning on letting these sit for a while but a few others said they were ready to smoke now so I gave it a go last night.

Very nice aroma, nice and firm to the touch. Very dark wrapper, almost maduro dark, reminded to me instantly of the JdN Antano.

The cut - I cut everything at home with cigar scissors and I have come to learn a lot about a cigar by how it cuts.

Well this cut produce at 3/4 inch flap of wrapper telling me I probably should have let it rest some more. The burn matched that 3/4 inch in unevenness until about halfway but it did catch up. But these are just cosmetics.

One more thing about the burn, I was standing outside in the cold so I just let the ash go. Sort of flaky and grey I didn't expect it to hold long but it was a good 2 inches before it finally let go - impressive for a corona.

Taste wise it started out with a little pepper which again brought up thoughts of the Antano or some kind of Pepin - but it smoothed out quickly. I got a lot of natural woody flavors which reminded me of the RP Vintage series or maybe a Padron 3000 natural (but not as harsh).

It definitely mellowed out after the first inch and stayed firmly in the medium-full range the rest of the way. The best part of this cigar for me was the flavors at the nose on exhale, some cedar with a little sweetness.

Strength wise I would say somewhere along the lines of the JdN Cellebracion, Punch Uppercut - maybe the Perdomo 2. A nice spot where I think both mild and full fans could enjoy this smoke.

I was sipping on a little Bacardi Select which may have dulled my tastes a bit but it paired well with the Esencia.

Bottom line, would I buy it?

Yes , if I could find it at the right price (not really sure what these are retailing for).

I don’t frequent B&M’s very often but there is one on the list of retailers near me (Watch City in Waltham) and I will make it a point to look for one next time I stop there.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Esencia Corona Gorda

These are very good. The flavor reminds me a lot like an Illusione
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

I actually haven't had an Illusione yet so good to know. I see now that 2Guys in NH has these on their site for $8 a single - which is probably a little higher than I would have guessed for a corona but wouldn't completely scare me off.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Great cigar.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

$8 for a single of the cg? Thats a good deal, I got mine for more, but its worth every penny. Great smoke. These taste good with spiced anything(apple cider, etc.). Still got a cg, robusto, and 2009 churchill sittin in the humi. I'm intrigued to see if theres any difference between the 08s and 09s
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Nice review --that pretty much mirrors my experience with these as well. Except on the the strength part, I'd have to say that the tail end of this cigar is very much like a JdN Antano. The last 1" or so knocks me on my ass every time.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I really need to find some of these!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Smoking one right now... it's aight...
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Nice review. If I recall correctly, I think I remember IceHog3 and Kidsyd endorsing these at the "Don't Mess with Texas" Herf.

Methinks I will have to find one...
Old 12-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
Nice review. If I recall correctly, I think I remember IceHog3 and Kidsyd endorsing these at the "Don't Mess with Texas" Herf.

Methinks I will have to find one...
Definitely my favorite current NC, Zach.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #11
OpusEx
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (9)
OpusEx will become famous soon enoughOpusEx will become famous soon enough

Just a reminder concerning the price of Esencia, which has never increased in price since its inception:

An open letter to the cigar community from Brother of the Leaf, L.L.C.

A true “brother” is willing to do all he or she can for another “brother.” These characteristics are still what ring the loudest for us today and the motivation for everything we do as a company.

BOTL, LLC. would like to make sure that all are cognizant of the following information regarding our company and the products we currently bring to market.

The Palio cigar cutter and Esencia cigars:

1. Palio cigar cutters are made COMPLETELY of components manufactured in the
United States.

2. Palio cigar cutters are hand assembled, packaged and shipped COMPLETELY from within the United States.

3. On April 1st of 2009 you all should have heard that the SCHIP taxes will increase the price of every single cigar available on the market today, to our knowledge, EXCEPT Esencia Cigars.

4. BOTL, LLC. is NOT implementing any price increase this year. BOTL, LLC. will absorb any and all escalation in cost caused by SCHIP and WILL NOT pass those increases on to our customers.

The above items should make it very clear that we not only know what calling our company Brother of the Leaf, L.L.C. means, but also that the choice of that specific name dictates our actions and obligation to our brethren during an extremely difficult time in our global economy.

As we are not increasing the price of any of our products to our retailers, no retailer should arbitrarily be raising the price on any of our products, while raising all the other prices of products by other companies. We ask everyone at every level to support us in policing this by contacting us directly if you believe someone is taking advantage.

We hope you will remember the information above when you are about to make your next purchase and ask yourself if the company you are about to support with your hard earned money is worthy.

Sincerely,

Brother of the Leaf, L.L.C.
OpusEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

I need to try one of these.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Your company stands alone in this regard I am sure Marc,I for one thank you.

Rick,I buy my boxes at Watch City.Great service at a fair price.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Thank you Marc!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Impressive news.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

marc, what is the msrp for you cigars?

i myself only started smoking these after the cw san antonio herf and never saw pre schip prices to be able to compare.

edit# pm's on my phone are hard to send but maybe that question should be answered in private to abide by forum rules, unless the toe doesnt mind.
Posted via Mobile Device
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
marc, what is the msrp for you cigars?

i myself only started smoking these after the cw san antonio herf and never saw pre schip prices to be able to compare.

edit# pm's on my phone are hard to send but maybe that question should be answered in private to abide by forum rules, unless the toe doesnt mind.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think posting MSRP for Non-Cuban cigars should be an issue as long as Marc is OK with it.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #18
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

I smoked one of the 2 I got in the contest Mark held late last year.

In one word: WOW

I was not expecting it to be this good. It had everything that I was looking for in a cigar. Flavor wise and also strength wise. It even tasted great on the pre-light inhale. If you can get some of these I highly recommend it. I hate to sound like a hype man, but this one example won me over in a big way.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Great review. I am glad you enjoyed this cigar. I love these for the nose flavor as well. As for Marc and BOTL they are always a stand up company.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

I just smoked one of these from the box I got yesterday.

I would normally not smoke anything ROTT but I noticed one with a small tear in the foot while packing up 10 for the box split so I decided why not?

Damn, this is a good smoke.

Great taste, great nose.

Only one smoke in and I am already thinking about ordering more.