Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Kingantz

Default K.A. Kendall’s 7-20-4 Corona

It’s been a little while since I’ve done a review having been a bit under the weather since…well, since before Christmas believe it or not. I’m just now starting to really get the old taste buds back to working; however still not 100%. Although there’s still snow on the ground, it’s not bad out on the back porch with the temp gauge showing 52F and a low humidity of 28%. I’ll certainly be glad when all the snow has melted, but from what I’m hearing there may be more coming, which I’m really hoping it doesn’t. One time is enough for around here!

I’ve poured a glass of Terrapin Hop Monster to have with the K.A. Kendall’s 7-20-4 received from another excellent BOTL, who I thank very much for sending. Admittedly, I had not heard of this cigar before, and after some research found that it is revived from an old line from the R. G. Sullivan factory that existed from 1875 to 1963 and was located at 724 Elm Street in Manchester, NH, hence the name of the cigar. Also, you can see the now owner of the brand K.A. (Kurt) Kendall has his name across the front of the band, who’s shop is called Twin Smoke Shop, also located in NH.

Inspecting the cigar, I find the Brazilian wrapper very dark with leather like appearance, noticeable oil, and one prominent vein running the length. It is firm when squeezed, has a good weight in the hand, and after punching the pigtail cap I find the draw to have slightly more resistance than I like; however air does flow through well enough with a rich, earthy tobacco taste coming through in the cold draw.

I light the foot and blow on the embers ensuring an even burn, take a few quick puffs, and then let the cigar rest for a bit. After a small amount of ash has formed, I take a couple more quick puffs and then a slow, long draw. There’s a soft spiciness on the back of the tongue and throat, that of a mild black pepper. The strength is a good medium with the smoke smooth, but with full body over the palate leaving a somewhat oiliness in the mouth. Flavors are rich and full from the get go, dark earth comes to mind first and then a bit of coffee and sweet cocoa in the lasting finish.

Through the first third and into halfway, the burn is razor sharp with a light gray ash forming in thick layers, holding strong until tapped off in the ashtray. Full bodied smoke is flowing just right through the perfect draw with the strength continuing to be right at medium and spice still somewhat mild on the back of the tongue. Flavors have been consistent with tastes of earth, coffee, and a rich, sweet cocoa that lasts in the delicious finish.

I will say that in the final half, especially getting towards the end, the strength picked up becoming a close full with the spice kicking up a notch as well. The burn remained sharp to the very end with the ash light and holding strong, the draw perfect for the almost full strength and full body. The finish lasted long after exhaling slowly through the mouth and nose, very rich and delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar from beginning to end and again must thank another BOTL for the opportunity to try it out. Excellent smoke my friend!

Old 01-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of
Default Re: K.A. Kendall’s 7-20-4 Corona

Had this the other day, thought it okay but just not my cup of tea. Thanks for sharing, pics are awesome.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

I love those and those are the best size in the line IMHO
Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

And this is why I love that you're here, Greg. I'm not a big NC guy, buy I'm a huge fan of detailed, well thought out reviews. Kudos, brother!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn fine review...great pics.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Thanks for the review. I love this stick, and try and send one out in every trade and bomb I do so that other BOTLs can enjoy it, too.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
DropTheE
Loves Wolfgang Guitars!!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (32)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
DropTheE has a spectacular aura aboutDropTheE has a spectacular aura about

Love those 7.20.4's, they are a wonderful smoke!!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

Haven't been around cigars for that long, but I will say there are always 7-20-4s in my humidor at all times. This was actually my first cigar as a married man this past fall!! And Kurt is a great guy. Down to earth and loves good cigars, food and cars. Can't wait to actually make one of his parties!!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

I am smoking my first one now and to me it tastes just like a rp decade
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the detailed review on this size cigar K. The photo's were simply awesome with some nice details

It would be interesting to know what the Costa Rican binder is (ie, maduro, EMS, etc). With 7 sizes to choose from, guess I'll have to head down to the B&M soon...
Old 01-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
bishjd123
Have a Smoke and a Smile

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (16)
bishjd123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Thanks for the detailed review on this size cigar K. The photo's were simply awesome with some nice details

It would be interesting to know what the Costa Rican binder is (ie, maduro, EMS, etc). With 7 sizes to choose from, guess I'll have to head down to the B&M soon...
NHC has a 7 cigar flight sampler if your not opposed to online sales. I picked one up about a month ago.
bishjd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
ajacobs

I will have to pick some up. Great review.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

I have really enjoyed these sticks, and favor the Dog Walker. The corona would be my second favorite.

The pics are amazing, I love the way you set them up. good job bro..
Old 01-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

I had one earlier courtesy of JesseBoston81, not a bad cigar IMHO.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Great review of a great cigar!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #16
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishjd123 View Post
NHC has a 7 cigar flight sampler if your not opposed to online sales. I picked one up about a month ago.
Thanks for the heads-up Jeff:

5pk sampler $38.35

7pk sampler $50.00