Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Katmancross

Default Famous Nicaraguan 6000 Torpedo

I waited and waited. Since trying Vudu, 1961, and Patel Brothers Next Generation....I wanted to see Famous Nic 6000's on cigarauctioneer.com. They are already reasonable but I wanted them for nothing.
It seems that Amilcar P Castro made a deal to empty the back of his Chevy and give his entire stock to Famous.
I think this guy is going to change some of the direction that Patel is going in. The only thing close to that kind of flavor and punch is the Edge Corojo.

Well, I got some.
The first difference I noticed is that while the 3 aforementioned cigars were great right out of the cello, this stick needs some aging. I was disappointed, but I could wait.
It's been a “whole” month now and I'm giving it a shot.

The only size available was the torpedoes. And I don't like torpedoes. They're usually packed too tight and so are these. But my trusty cigar ice pick always does the trick.
The pre light was sweet wood.
I clipped it a couple of times with my Xikar back stop cutter and toasted the foot. This one didn't need the ice pick treatment. Not yet, anyway.
The initial taste is of cedar and wood and leather. No spice like the other 3. That's what I like about the other Patel 3, was that at light up, I got a blast in the face with spice. Not these.

Huge amounts of smoke came from the foot. I had to turn on the ventilator above my head in the basement.
About half an inch in, I'm tasting spice. Just a little dab will do ya'.

The fillers are Nicaraguan and Honduran. The wrapper is Ecuadorian Habano. And they are billed as full bodied. I'm an inch in and the power is zapping me in the mug. My ears are flapping like a dog in heat. I've got to slow down or I will be pirouetting all the way to the bathroom.

While I'm taking a minute or two off, I notice that the construction is OK. And it's pretty veiny.
There are some hard spots and some soft spots.
I get back to business and notice a stem sticking out. I grab it and slowly pull it out. The sucker is an inch long! I was afraid the cigar end would collapse but it remained intact.

After a third, the spice kicks in. Get your red hots! But I like the spice.
But it doesn't last long. A buttery, creaminess kicks in to tamp down the spice and balances out the flavors.
The strength continues to build. Flavors become more complex. Nothing out of the ordinary, but very pleasant. Wood, cedar, spice, butter, sweet cedar.
The last half mellows out. The strength remains constant. It never gets out of hand.
I'm very happy that I have these sticks. But I think another month or two of aging will do the trick and open the flavor profile.
I believe these give the Nic 3000's a run for the money.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Famous Nicaraguan 6000 Torpedo

Thanks for the Review brother. I have enjoyed the 5000 but not the 6000. I will have to give these a try.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Black Label

Default Re: Famous Nicaraguan 6000 Torpedo

They are deeelicious!