Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
FrequenC
Look Away! I'm Hideous!!

First Name: Alex
Trading: (9)
PL
FrequenC is on a distinguished road
Default Humi Leak or Paranoia?

So here's the situation, I've had my humi for about a month and a half (first one) and it's a glass top humi. I seasoned it for about 6 days with the distilled water/bowl method and once I felt it was seasoned I began placing some cigars in it. I ordered some 65% beads from heartfelt and it held at 63-65% for about 2 weeks (calibrated digi hygro). I've got one of the Small Round 65% humi devices as well as the stock humi puck (removed the floral sponge and put in 65% beads).

For the last 2-3 weeks the hygro has been reading at about 58-60% so I'm wondering if there is a leak anywhere. The humi closes properly (doesn't slam shut, has the nice "whoosh" effect when the top drops) and I can't exactly do the flashlight test as it's a glass top

The beads seem to dry out rather quickly which is why I am concerned. For example, on Friday I charged the beads in both devices with distilled water. The heartfelt puck I charged completely (every bead was clear) because I wanted to see how fast they were drying out. I came home about an hour ago and I'd say about 50-60% of the beads are still clear, the others are starting to dry or are completely dried out.

Now am I being paranoid or is there a leak somewhere? Is there anything I can do to test for a leak in a glass top (besides what I've done with the beads) or should I just go ahead and put some sealant around the glass?

Thanks for reading