Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #21
nozero

Default Re: Walmart latest Auto repair rip-off servicer?

FWIW...

I worked for GSA Fleet Management for 23 years and it's been my experience that the less than honest shops far outweigh the honest ones. They will try to take advantage, no matter who you are. In many cases, because we were located in Fort Worth, TX, the shops in our area knew we'd send somebody to check any questionable repairs. But the vendors in outlying areas and other states AR, OK, LA, NM and at one time Panama, would consistently attempt to rip us off.

The better shops seemed to know that if they treated us right, we'd be back, just like their regular customers. The others just saw $ when one of our cars rolled in to their work bays. It didn't take long to determine who we wanted to do business with and who we didn't.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #22
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I think I've got you all beat:

About a week ago, the wife takes the car (a 2005 Chrysler 300 Touring) in to the Firestone for an inspection sticker and an oil change. Before long, the guy says: I noticed a little wear on your brakes, would like a "complementary" brake inspection? So the wife figures: why not? He then shows her a brake rotor with some grooves on it and got her to agree to have them all replaced instead of having them turned. Cost: $1200.00. I flipped out, the wife felt bad, and now she won't have ANYTHING done to the car without me there.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #23
Bluetick
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Bluetick is on a distinguished road

My MIL 82 years old, everytime she takes her car for an oil chage, has to call me on the phone, "Do I really need this??". They nag her to flush the radiator, transmission, brake system and power steering.

The best one so far, Walmart service god said motor mount was broken. She called me, I told her "I'll be right there". Went to the desk, we went out to the car, I asked him to point out the "broken part". He stuttered, "I don't know where it is, but something is wrong". She later told me he said he had a buddy who could fix it next week as Walmart did not do this type of repair.
Bluetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #24
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Funny thing, I have never had a problem with Sam's Club when it came to tires. They're a little slow, but they have competitive prices and they do solid work. I've gone behind them and checked lug torque, tire inflation, and everything I could think of any they're always exactly to spec with the printed reports.

Good thing, they never try to sell me anything, although they have on occasion told me they won't work on older tires that have < 5000 miles of tread life remaining. No biggie, as usually that's what I'm there to replace anyway.

I will add a vote to support your local mechanic. I have a transmission guy who I've gone to for years. My last truck had some issues with leaky gaskets and other problems, but he wouldn't take payment for labor after the first time. I kinda felt bad, I knew he was embarrassed that despite all his efforts, he couldn't stop the problem from recurring after a while. Turns out years later I discovered the engine in the truck was just too powerful and heavy for that transmission, but I had no idea until I had the engine overhauled....apparently that was the 4-bolt main they used in 1-ton trucks in 1977, and somehow it ended up in my 1/2 ton. No wonder it ate 3 trannys over the course of 30 years. But I've taken vehicles to him for years now anytime I need work done, and I refer as much business his way that I can.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #25
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
Funny thing, I have never had a problem with Sam's Club when it came to tires. They're a little slow, but they have competitive prices and they do solid work. I've gone behind them and checked lug torque, tire inflation, and everything I could think of any they're always exactly to spec with the printed reports.
Wish I could say the same for Sam's! We took my wife's previous SUV back to Sam's 3 times complaining about lack of balance on a fairly new Goodyear Wrangler. I even pointed out, all three times the dimple inthe sidewall that indicated tread separation. Got blown-off All three times. Shortly after the third time, the tire blew, damaging her fender, and leaving her on the side of the road between Augusta and Columbia at 10 pm. Sam's refused to do anything about it. I had two rotations and balance returns at 8500 miles instead of 7500 miles. Said voided their responsibility. Sold me a new tire at a 25% discount (big whoop, damage to SUV was more than that). 4 months later, when we gave the SUV to our daughter, and I went to pull off tires to do a brake inspection, I found that Sam's had put three wrong lug-nuts on, stripping three of the 6 studs. 4WD Pathfinder. Taking the front rotor/stud ring off is a real PITA! Cost of replacement studs and lug nuts, less than $10. Time costs, over 8 hours. Of course, Sam's denied any involvement, though the tire was the very one they'd replaced 4 months before, and had not been off SUV since they touched it!! Needless to say, that was the last time I purchased tires at Sam's!!!! and, BTW, I've never purchased tires at Walmart. My wife only went to the one in Margate because it was close to where she was.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #26
auburnfan1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
I wonder if cowboys ever got that...

Guy takes his horse to the farrier...

Farrier says... "your horses shoes are worn."

Cowboy says... "That's funny... I just had them rotated and balanced a week ago."

Farrier says... "Well, I recommend having them changed before every cattle drive."

Cowboy says... "Cattle drive?! I'm not that kind of cowboy. High Ho Silver AWAY!"

Then he rides off into the sunset.

*Queue Credits*