Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Thank You

We do make a difference Please read on….

If you do not know, at the world’s best stadium Tropicana Field Home of the Tampa Bay Rays there is a cigar bar. Two or three times a year some buddies and I just go and sit in the cigar bar and smoke and watch the game on the big screen in leather chairs and have some drinks and play pool.

Well on this particular night, I happened to catch parts of a conversation of two older men(60’s). And during the night I heard one of the men talk about his son being in Iraq. Then he was talking about his son being in Afghanistan.

Remember, I’m not trying to eavesdrop I’m smoking hanging with my buddies. Then he really catches my attention. He starts talking about smoking with his son and that there is a few groups on some cigar website that sends troops cigars. And that is one of the only luxuries his son gets to enjoy. And now that he knows about the cigar bar he can’t wait to bring his son there one day and smoke.
And at that they got up to leave. I stood up told the man I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but Thank You for your sons service. You sound proud of him and you should be. The man’s chest puffed out a little more and he shook my hand.

I was not military, nor am I from a military family. I have had many students and players go into the military. I have even lost one in Iraq. When this man was talking about his son, I was getting the same choked up feeling I get during the National Anthem.

So to you Military Servicemen and Retired Servicemen – Thank You!!!

And to everyone that sends what they can to help the troops. There is proof they appreciate the little things over there.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
mariogolbee

Default Re: Thank You

After reading this have that choked up feeling. This is a wonderful post.

Thank you for service!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Hear hear. Very great post.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
QUAZY50
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Alex
Trading: (0)
QUAZY50 is on a distinguished road

Spine tingles and lump in throat... dang.
QUAZY50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Nice post Mark.. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The boys most definitely appreciate anything we can send. Just stuff like toothbrushes are a luxury. Wet naps and snacks. It's really hard to imagine that the tiny things we take for granted, walk by, or even throw away make such a huge impact there.
If anyone ever wants to send anything at all and thinks it may be too small or insignificant gesture to bother, it's not. It's going to make someone very happy.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Very cool story! It is stories like this one that while tugging on our emotions bring the real-world of our service men and women closer to something we can all relate to.

Thanks for sharing!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Great story.
Goose bumps indeed.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Mike!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

That's an awesome story! Thank your for sharing it.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Great Post Mike!

A Big THANK YOU to all our troops, wherever you may be, active, retired,...
Old 09-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I had a similar thing happen as I arrived at the Bonduel Corn Roast a year ago. Coming in, I ran into a member from another Lutheran Church whom I met when his pastor and I switched pulpits a few years back, and who I have gone ice fishing with since then. I asked about his son whom I knew was in the army and "had" been deployed - wondering if he still was. He said, "He's home right now, in fact, he's wandering around the fair, just went off to the beer stand to get us a couple beers. At this, the son was just coming back - with a cigar in his mouth.

Of course, we had to talk about bit about cigars. He said he had had a couple Swishers after H.S. during training and such, but hadn't had a good cigar till he was in Afghanistan. It was there that the sarge gave him cigars upon occasion, saying they were shipped from the states, from an internet group (the son couldn't remember the name of the group, even with my promptings).

The cigar in his mouth was a Swisher, so I asked him how come. He said, "There's no place in the area that sells good cigars." (this is indeed true, you have to go to Appleton or Green Bay, and if you don't know the shops, they can be hard to find)

So I asked him if I could see his cigar. I stuck it in my mouth and pulled my 3-finger case out of my back pocket, pulled out an AF Double Chateau SG, took off the cello, cedar, snipped it, and handed it to him saying, "Thanks for your service. I'll trade you this for the one in my mouth?" He asked, "Are you sure?" I just held the cigar out to him. He took it and said, "Thanks." As he was lighting it, I spit out that Swisher onto the ground, pulled out the AF's twin, and lit it up. We stood near the ball diamond fence, watching the Legion team play.

He did say that one of the few pleasures they have is to occasionally sit with cigars, and they do appreciate it. I have had a couple other incidents like this where I have met military personnel who have gotten cigars 'over there' which came from this and/or other cigar boards.

Yes, thanks for starting the thread Mike.

Thanks to all those who have served and are serving still.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for sharing a great story. You gotta love our troops and their families.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #14
Sam Tushing

Kudos to you for saying something! No matter how you feel about the war those guys are over there working hard.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAZY50 View Post
Spine tingles and lump in throat... dang.
This.

I never dreamed of going to the military, it was never my thing, but I support them full and all my friends who have gone. I personally have a friend that was in Afgani-land and member from this site gave him an amazing Thanksgiving last year. I still get choked thinking of the generosity of the members of the cigar community