Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 01-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #121
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Trading: (3)
jquirit has disabled reputation
Default Re: Losing Weight with Andysutherland

Andy, I've been splitting time between this one and the Zemekone/Icehog weightlifting thread. Let me update!

Yesterday I had an awesome cardio day. Was doing interval running on a treadmill with the program breaking down like this:

5 minutes warm-up
1 minute @ 6mph then 1 minute @ 2.7mph (repeat 10 times)
1 minute @ 7mph then 2 minutes @ 2.7mph (repeat 5 times)
3 minutes warm-down

The first two or three intervals @ 6mph felt really tough. My heart rate was way up from normal but over the next few everything loosened up and it got really easy. So easy that I breezed through the 6mph and had not as much difficulty with the 7mph intervals as I usually did. So I did a single interval at 8mph (basically a full-on sprint on the treadmill). Now that was tough but it got my heart racing real good. Heart rate peaked out about 180bpm during that interval.

Today is back on legs: lunges, standing calf raises, leg curls, and probably a few dumbbell deadlifts. Maybe a bit of shoulders while I'm at it, too. And then 35 minutes on the elliptical to finish things off.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #122
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Nice workout! Keep up the good work!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #123
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Looks like the drive thru for me tonight. Four Fresco crunchy tacos from Taco Bell will do me for today I guess.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #124
12stones
Yo Mama is so...

First Name: Ricky
Trading: (1)
RA MarineCorps (Disabled Vet)
12stones will become famous soon enough

I'm still going down, down, down... 15 lbs in three weeks.

Since Sunday I've been doing 20 minutes on the elliptical and rotating between a back/bi routine and chest/tri routine. Tomorrow's my day off, then it'll be back at it on Friday.

Breakfast today (and everyday) is scrambled eggs with sauteed onions, green peppers, and mushrooms.
Snacks were low-fat cheese stick and celery with a smattering of natural peanut butter.
Lunch and dinner was chicken/bean burrito with whole wheat tortilla and guacamole.

I'm putting this in my sig for a current status update: Start weight/Current weight/Goal weight. So, today it'll look like this: S: 226/C: 211/G: 175
12stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #125
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
I'm still going down, down, down... 15 lbs in three weeks.
You are putting us all to shame. Awesome!

Insert quote here.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #126
12stones
Yo Mama is so...

It's only cause I'm just in the beginning stage. I'm doing South Beach and the first two weeks of phase I makes you drop weight quickly. It's gonna slow down sooner than I'd like.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #127
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
It's only cause I'm just in the beginning stage. I'm doing South Beach and the first two weeks of phase I makes you drop weight quickly. It's gonna slow down sooner than I'd like.
So true. You drop quick in the early stages.

Great idea in your signature. I am using that too! My goal is short term right now though. Taking this in steps.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #128
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Good morning my weight losing brothers!!!

Dinner last night I went a little overboard. My son's soccer game as about 45 minutes away and right across the street from my favorite Cuban restaurant. I had ropa veija (kind of like a stewed beef), yellow rice, black beans, fried plantains. All of that was probably fine as the portions were pretty small. However, I had 4 slices of Cuban bread.

Put in 45 minutes this morning on the treadmill. The parts that have been at 4 miles per hour I bumped up to 5 mph. I really felt good afterwards.

Breakfast - the usual
Snack - the usual
Lunch - tossed salad with a grilled chicken breast

Dinner will be tough again as my son has another soccer game and we are eating out with family before the game. I'll try to lay off of the bread tonight!!!

Great idea on the sig... I will do it too!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #129
kayaker

Well, I'm one week in and have had mixed results.

I'm down 4.4lbs, which is good, but I still need to work on my eating and activity level. There are a few bad items here at my brother's house that I didn't bring here, wouldn't normally buy, but am snacking on. I also haven't started any exercise, but I'm going to change that after this weekend.

I'm going indoor climbing on Saturday and ice climbing for a couple of days on Sunday. I'll start climbing at the gym regularly after that, and may even join a cute friend at her kickboxing classes.

In any case, here are the results:
249.2/244.8/220 (s.t.)

I'm only saying 220 for now, because I have not been there in a very long time. I doubt I would get much lower than 200, so that may be the long term goal, once I reach the short term.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #130
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Trading: (3)
jquirit has disabled reputation

Updated my signature with the line (S: 220/C: 218/G:180). It's kinda strange to think that four years ago I was 170 and now I'm up at 218, but then that's what happens when you start living off of fast food, drinking lots of beer, and (in general) not taking good care of yourself.

I am still working on my nutrition at the moment. Need to get back into the habit of cooking for myself more and more. Did grill up 6 lbs of chicken thighs (bone-in) to use as components for meals. Also want to add in a late snack (ie - 9pm) of cottage cheese.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #131
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Well, I'm one week in and have had mixed results.

I'm down 4.4lbs, which is good, but I still need to work on my eating and activity level. There are a few bad items here at my brother's house that I didn't bring here, wouldn't normally buy, but am snacking on. I also haven't started any exercise, but I'm going to change that after this weekend.

I'm going indoor climbing on Saturday and ice climbing for a couple of days on Sunday. I'll start climbing at the gym regularly after that, and may even join a cute friend at her kickboxing classes.

In any case, here are the results:
249.2/244.8/220 (s.t.)

I'm only saying 220 for now, because I have not been there in a very long time. I doubt I would get much lower than 200, so that may be the long term goal, once I reach the short term.

4.4lbs is great! Keep it up.

Week 2: Day 4

Breakfast: same
Lunch: same
Dinner: ??
No exercise yesterday. Gotta force some in somewhere today between another late day at school and then doing coursework this evening for my university courses.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #132
kayaker

Breakfast = 2 eggs, English rasher bacon (very lean), juice and milk.
Lunch = IDK
Supper = IDK

I have a few chores to do around here. I may also try to clear out around the heavy bag and beat it up until I get beat out. Won't take long.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #133
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Week 2:
Day 5

Didn't get any exercise in for two days straight now. Gotta do it today. Damn lesson plans, end of semester grading, and then taking two university courses on top of that are time consuming.

Breakfast: oatmeal
Lunch: Sandwich
Dinner: ??

Last night I had Pesto chicken in tomato sauce w/ panchetta(sp) and linguini noodles. I got on the scale last night and have only dropped one more pound, but the OFFICIAL weigh-in is not until Monday. So here's to a big weekend for me. My wife is following the diet part with me pretty well, but acts like it's a hassle to get in any exercise. That's what makes it harder for me. I want to do this together all the way.

Today is two weeks w/o alcohol, btw.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #134
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

down about 7-8 lbs since i started this south beach phase 1, and modified phase 1, just eating a lot of lean meats, good fish, veg, and very little grain carbs, still haven't done ANY exercise. On my trip next week i'm going to try hard to, booked hotels with exercise rooms. Sorry bout the single long run on sentence ;P
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #135
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Good morning Andy, Ian, and the weight loss crew.

Andy and I are kind of opposite paths this week. My diet has not been what it should be (dinners specifically), but I have had my best week in a long time with exercise.

Dinner last night before the soccer game was a couple of pieces of veggie pizza and one beer.

Worked out for 45 minutes this morning. On the higher speed intervals I bumped it up to a 10 minute mile pace. It really felt good!!

Breakfast - the usual
Snack - the usual
Lunch - Tossed salad with a can of tuna
Dinner - I think I am going to do grilled shrimp and veggies - not sure though.

Have a healthy day guys!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #136
12stones
Yo Mama is so...

Morning all. Down another lb from yesterday. Here's yesterday's stuff:

BF: Usual - 2 eggs with sauteed green peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
Lunch: Chicken/Been burrito with whole grain tortilla
Dinner: Same as lunch
Desert: Peanut butter cup-type mixture. For you dessert lovers, take a sugar free fudgecicle, microwave it for 10 seconds, add in a Tbsp of natural peanut butter, and 2 Tbsp of Sugar Free Cool Whip, mix together and enjoy. It's truly helped me through

Did 20 minutes on the elliptical and the chest/tri workout.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #137
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

you guys that are weighing yourselves everydays....talked to a few different doctors, and they all suggest not doing this, and trying to do it once every week or two max. They say the body can fluctuate as much as a couple pounds up or down and weighing yourself everyday isn't recommended... just my opinion (and the few doctors i asked about it)
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #138
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
you guys that are weighing yourselves everydays....talked to a few different doctors, and they all suggest not doing this, and trying to do it once every week or two max. They say the body can fluctuate as much as a couple pounds up or down and weighing yourself everyday isn't recommended... just my opinion (and the few doctors i asked about it)
Funny you should mention that. Whenever I have been watching my weight in the past I would weigh every day. This time I decided I was going to weigh myself once a week on Monday. I'm not really sure why... it is just what I am going to do.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #139
kayaker

Part of the issue is becoming too weight obsessed. Like was said above, fluctuations occur. Same thing if you tried weighing yourself several times a day.

Some times I'll weigh myself at night to see how much I drop by the next morning.

In any case, watching what you eat and being active is more important than the actual weight loss. The loss is more of a side benefit. I'd rather be my weight now and exercising regularly and being fit, than being my ideal weight and not.

But for me, if I stay active enough, the weight comes off. A bit anyways.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #140
kayaker

OK, this week is going to be a total write-off.

My bro is back for the weekend and cooking an old favourite that our grandma used to make for us.

Fresh bacon (thick cut bacon that has not been salted/smoked), with eggs fried in the grease. And there's a lot of it.

On the plus side, we're having whole wheat bread with it.

I'll be lucky if I'm only back to starting weight.

I'll have to start pushing hard for the rest of the week, exercise and eating right.

Hope the rest of you are fairing better.