Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 06-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about
Default I'm going to smoke my pipe tonight

This is more of a promise to myself than anything else. I have 3 pipes, a corncob, and Dr. Grabow, and what I think is a Parker, It's been a long time since I've smoked a pipe, so long in fact that I forget that I have them. Cigars are easy, clip it, light it, and it's good to go.
Pipes on the other hand are a little more work, I think I worked out how tight to pack it, like drawing through a straw right? 3 layers each one tamped down a little less than the previous. The lighting thing is where I have the trouble, first I char the top then tamp it lightly and then relight. It seams it's good for between 5-10 minutes before needing to relight. In my attempt to keep it lit, it often gets too hot and then I get the tongue bite. Any suggestions?

This turned into more of a ramble that I had anticipated I get off work in and hour and a half, I'll get something to eat, and then I am smoking!
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
adampc22

Default Re: I'm going to smoke my pipe tonight

smoke that pipe mate there is a almost calm satisfaction in geting a pipe sorted to smoke i would say to stop the tonge bite problem dont draw on it as hard as u would a cigar just light slow draw
Old 06-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
3 layers each one tamped down a little less than the previous. The lighting thing is where I have the trouble, first I char the top then tamp it lightly and then relight. It seams it's good for between 5-10 minutes before needing to relight.

Actually, filling the pipe with the 3 layers method, the last layer is the one you press down the most, while the first one you should just drop it in.
Remember:
1st- baby (bottom layer)
2nd- mother
3rd - father (top layer)
Old 06-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, Like I said it's been a while...
Old 06-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

Ok so I smoked last night, it was for the most part ok. I guess my biggest issue the small volume of smoke produced at the fact that the first two times I light it, it lasts about 10 minutes, and then every time after that it's out in 5 minutes or less. When it starts going out more often I tamp the ash down without pushing it, just using the weight of the tamp.

Also is the volume of smoke supposed to be so little? Way less than a cigar

If anyone has some tips let me know I feel like all I do is babysit this thing while I smoke it, and it's a lot of work for little reward.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
TheBeard
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Rob
Trading: (31)
TheBeard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampc22 View Post
i would say to stop the tonge bite problem dont draw on it as hard as u would a cigar just light slow draw
I find that I draw more on my pipe than I do on a cigar. I want to keep a cigar nice and cool to sip from tip to nub, but a pipe I want to keep hotter and "cherried" so that I can get a consistent smoke without much need for relight. I've worked this method of smoking to where I don't have the problem of tongue bite anymore.

It's been suggested before that I exhale gently through the pipe for a few breaths between draws to keep the pipe nice and lit. My biggest problem with this method is that I produce a lot of saliva, so pipe gargle starts up quickly when I try this. I've settled into a pattern of taking a few (2-4) quick puffs and examining the smoke before I draw. Still no tongue bite.

YMMV. Practice. I've found that you need to learn the quirks and foibles of each individual pipe to get your most enjoyable smoke out of it.
TheBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeard View Post
YMMV. Practice. I've found that you need to learn the quirks and foibles of each individual pipe to get your most enjoyable smoke out of it.
I agree 100%. Rules of thumb will get you close but each pipe will smoke a little differently even if you smoke the use the same tobacco and fill them the same.

Unlike practicing for a spelling bee, practice at pipe smoking is fun!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Benwoo

I've been having the same issues Quan, that and trying to smoke down the entire bowl. I can't get the last bit to burn. At least I'm having fun learning, cept getting the pop of hot ash in my mouth I could be pulling too hard.

Hope the pipes treat ya well

Chris