Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #21
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Silound's Dog-Rocket Review Challenge!

Subscribed to thread. This should be a lot of fun!

Thanks for taking one for the Asylum!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:32 AM   #22
rsamos

16 dog rocket each?

Man - talk about 'above and beyond'.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #23
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Yall give up already?

Nice first one Mark! That was fairly entertaining. And, yes, it was a long filler Nic cigar, I just checked the stamp.

The next few oughta be pretty good too
Old 12-19-2008, 01:01 AM   #24
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Geez what a task to be committed to!

16 rockets.... I think I'd rather eat poo!

It will be interesting to see what you get when you finish...... 16 more rockets!

Looking forward to seeing these all play out.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:03 AM   #25
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Geez what a task to be committed to!

It will be interesting to see what you get when you finish...... 16 more rockets!

Looking forward to seeing these all play out.

Why are you talkin' smack? I thought you were gonna help me smoke them.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #26
dccraft

Hey Mark, it looks as if Hal bailed out on you.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #27
Cigary

This is great,,,I look forward to this entertaining thread. This might be one of the funniest threads I have seen in along time. Keep em coming, boys!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #28
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Great review -- LMAO! Sounds like a complex flavor profile: you detected both mildew and hay.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #29
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
Yall give up already?

Nah, been a little busy this weekend. I will get back to the rocket launch ASAP.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #30
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas. Silound, I'm afraid you've been a bad boy this year. Sending out sticks like that and making people smoke them. You should be ashamed of yourself. You can look for a bag of coal in your stocking this year. Or maybe I'll just send you some more Cremosas and White Owls.

Santa
Old 12-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #31
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas. Silound, I'm afraid you've been a bad boy this year. Sending out sticks like that and making people smoke them. You should be ashamed of yourself. You can look for a bag of coal in your stocking this year. Or maybe I'll just send you some more Cremosas and White Owls.

Santa
You had to post this didn't you? My brother read this thread and promptly made sure I had a handful of Cremosas and Grape White Owls in my stocking today.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #32
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

This thread looks REALLY promising. I can't wait to see if either of these guys can make it through all 16 dog rockets.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #33
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
This thread looks REALLY promising. I can't wait to see if either of these guys can make it through all 16 dog rockets.

You're about to find out.

Dog Rocket #2:

From Silound's description: #2 Similar to Cigar #1, except these are some unbranded product by Rolando Reyes. Obviously, this should be warning enough for most people who read reviews, however this Dominican treat should be enough to kill you and put you out of your misery.

My Take: Aww man...Rolando Reyes? I can't believe that dude has been working with tobacco for so long and still can't make a decent cigar.

This cigar is a toro size. Not a bad looking stick, it has weight and was rolled pretty well. The wrapper smells nice, pre-light draw is grassy but not nasty.

First few draws...not terrible but definitely not tasty. Grassy and a little harsh. The aroma coming from the foot is not unpleasant but not good either. Honestly at this point this cigar does not taste Dominican. To me it tastes Honduran or maybe even Mexican...?

About 1" in the cigar is getting a musty, mildewy flavor that I have come to associate with low quality or improperly fermented tobacco. It is a flavor I have tasted in many El Cheapo cigars, specifically Dominican and Honduran. I would bet that if I ripped this cigar apart I would find green tobacco in it.

The flavor of this cigar is not unbearable but not enjoyable at all. It actually tastes better than dog rocket #1. Burn and draw are perfect and the ash is really nice; almost white with nice rings.

Actually, the flavor on the draw is not too bad, but the finish and aftertaste is where I taste the mildew. Like the cigars were aged in a mildewy basement. The aroma coming from the foot is not bad. The cigar smells better than it tastes.

I read that Rolando Reyes personally inspects every cigar made at his factory. This is an amazing feat, especially for a man who is blind and has no sense of taste or smell.

About 1/3 in...the harshness that I tasted at the beginning is coming back. The smoke burns my nose, and I am gettin mucous in the back of my throat. The smoke is "burning" my tongue, the same sensation I get from a machine made paper binder cigar like AyC or Garcia y Vega.

My nose is running, my tongue is burning, and I have a throat full of mucous. Are you happy, Silound?

I made it to around the halfway point, at which time I tossed this cigar in the toilet where it belongs.

Final thoughts: Some nasty tobacco was put into this cigar. It's a shame, because the wrapper is not bad and the cigar was obviously constructed well. Senior Reyes needs to let somebody else blend his cigars, and needs some better Quality Control when it comes to leaf selection.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #34
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar

Bwahahaha!

You do have a thing for that mildewy flavor though, I must admit.

After checking back on my notes and packaging, all the origins I gave you are accurate up to seals and boxes/bundle labels. If they aren't what origin they're supposed to be, then I was as misled as you now are.

On a side note, RR is about the biggest joke in the cigar industry
Old 12-27-2008, 01:32 AM   #35
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
is that a challenge Hal?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #36
Drat

Keep 'em coming!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #37
Cigary

This is now my favorite thread,,,,I can hardly wait for the next round!!
Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #38
borndead1

Partagas

UGH....what a way to start the new year.

Dog Rocket #3

From Silound's description: 3. Some unbranded Honduran junk that I got as a bonus from a “hookup.” These things came as brutally damaged as they look now.

My take: Churchill size, ugly wrapper with a couple of big vericose veins near the foot. The wrapper smells really nice though. Pre light draw is a light tobacco flavor. Alright, lighting it up now.

First few draws are suprisingly quite nice. Tobacco with a floral aftertaste.

Silound, are you trying to trick me? Is this really a dog rocket? Is this turning into "Silound's Blind-Taste-Test-See-If-I-Can-Fool-These-Suckas" Review Challenge?

This cigar tastes pretty good so far (about 1" in). If I didn't know any better, I would swear...nah...I better smoke more of it before I say what I was gonna say.

About 1/3 in...Silound, if you think this cigar is a dog rocket, I will gladly take the rest of them off your hands.

Alright, that's it. I'm gonna say it. I think Silound slipped this cigar into the mix to try to trick me. I think this cigar is a Cuban. Honestly. If it's not, then you can all have your laughs, but that's my story. Triple cap, green splotches on the wrapper, and the flavor and aroma...I call

OK, I can't write a funny/gross review on this cigar because it's a great smoke. I'm gonna smoke it, kick back, and check to see if Silound comes clean.

EDIT: I swear this thing is a CC. It's not rolled very well, so maybe it's a fake from the island, but man...if this is not a Cuban, then I'm a fool and you may all point and laugh.

Last edited by borndead1; 01-01-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #39
Hardcz

To start off, I'm a little behind due to a 2.5 week shipping time from our buddy here to me, so I let them rest in the humi for a week or so. Below is what I wrote on Dec 31st....

So after reviewing the Cremosa Silound offered up his worst sticks for people to review. Since I'm up for a challenge and life experiences, good and bad, I accepted his generous offer. There are something like 18-20 cigars, I'm going by memory as they're at home and I'm in a bar.... Yea it's cold in Michigan right now. So I'm waiting on Guinness Stew and drinking an ice water.

I'm starting with number 1, looks to be maybe 48-50 rg and about 5-5.5 inches long. No real armoa from the stick itself.

Pre light draw... I'm kicking myself for saying this, but it tastes just like hay! I've never had anything that tasted like hay before, though this reminds me of my youth, when I'd take a piece of hay / straw from a bail and suck on it for an hour or two.

Upon lighting up there is about medium pepper coming with a dry sort of taste in my mouth. I'm able to nose exhale with slight burning... so far I don't see why this is a "worst" stick of all time.

A little over an inch in and the spice has mellowed down to a light pepper with hints of blah. My mouth tastes like I licked the wrapper of a dirty cigar.

So I'm about 1/4 in now...and the pepper is still mild, hitting the front sides and back of my tongue. The smoke tastes like I've lit up an old recipt from CVS. The nose exhale is getting more harsh.

Seriously...what is in this cigar that's leaving a fimly nasty aftertaste? it's not pleasant, though not the worst I've had.

My lips are starting to tingle.... I seriously think they found some dried leaves, found a way to suction all flavor out of them and packed them into a wrapper that had a similar treatment. I taste pepper, and just a burnt taste like that of burning paper, but slightly smoother than that.... heh... yea I know from experience... was stupid when I was 14....

Roughly half way through and I'm getting a bitter finish with a burning in my throat, I haven't gone camping in a while or inhaled campfire smoke...why does it burn so bad? What did you do to me? Pepper is coming on more strongly now, and my mouth is contorting because it doesn't want to finish, something of a cross between a disgust, sour, and fear. Wrapper is starting to peel a little.

This aftertaste is killer.... I'm letting it rest 1-3 minutes between puffs but now I just discovered I must have a cut on the roof of my mouth because it's burning... my lips are feeling like I smoked 5-6 cigars in a row and it's getting more bitter with the pepper taking a seat to mild.

So a little over 2/3 burned and I really can't take any more. I have a little headache coming on...probably will settle as I drink some water, my mouth burns, tastes how I'd imagine tar would taste for cig smokers. There's a nasty film it seems that's left in my mouth.

So I'm dieing to know what this was so I can strike it from my list of cigars to buy. Overall, it had a good draw, great burn, though nasty tastes. Slight pepper, with lots of nastiness.

I'm working on washing this away.... hmm maybe I'll light up something I've had before....

Thanks for the experience. I'll get to reviewing the others soon.

OH YEA!!!

The food was tasty also.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #40
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar

Negatory, there are NO good sticks in there, and certainly no CC's. If it smoked well, I'll be damned.

I wish I had pictures to remember what cigar was what, because if they really have turned out to be decent smokes, I'm going to have to revisit them.

EDIT: WOOHOOO FOR PICTURES!