Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough
Default Corona Gordas - Tribute/Reviews/Comparison

I have transferred over this project, as it is a valuable work in progress...

Feedback please!

Corona Gorda – The White Horse

I got inspired to create new thread and comparison/review by my love of one of the rarest of sizes – the Corona Gorda 5 5/8 X 46. In today cigar marketplace most lines of cigar brands don’t even include this size, especially outside of Cuba. (Even my personal favorite Padron doesn’t have this size in their profile) It took me a while to arrive upon my favorite size Corona Gorda because in most humis larger ring-gauges are paramount, Robustos are king, Lanceros are romanticized, and although I constantly smoke these sizes (among others), the Corona Gorda remains in the background in all her glory.

Many connoisseurs consider the Corona Gorda to be their favorite size, due to its balance and complexity of flavor(s). It is well-regarded due to its balance of proportions between wrapper, binder and filler. The Corona Gorda is not too thick, not too slim, not too long and not too short, but has a great feel in the mouth and in the hand and gives a great flavor profile for it’s smoking time. Classic.

In fact in a recent Cigar Aficionado article about the cigar size of choice for cigar makers, many said that the Corona size, and specifically the Corona Gorda, was best for tasting all of the elements of a cigar blend. Of the makers who specifically said the Corona Gorda was their favorite, Ernesto Perez-Carillo said he “gets the most complexity and taste from the blend”, Jonathan Drew of Drew Estates mentioned the mouth-feel, Dion Giolito of Illusione said the Corona Gorda is the “perfect vehicle for flavor” and Pete Johnson of Tatuaje also said it was his favorite size because “this is one of the all-time greatest sizes… To me, this cigar is like the white horse in the field with a bunch of regular horses.” One of my best resources on Cuban cigars, (in the Cuban factories frequently) considers the Corona Gordas coming out of Cuba to be the “best bang for the buck” as far as flavor, smoking time and price point.

We are all familiar with the classic Cuban Corona Gordas – Punch Punch, H. Upmann Magnum 46. SLR Serie A, Cohiba Siglo IV, Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 1, Juan Lopez Seleccion No 1 etc… but this comparison focuses more on the few NC Corona Gordas on the market. While not in the profile of most cigar lines, it should come as no surprise that the majority of them are rolled by Don Pepin Garcia, one of the best and most authentic rollers/blenders that create cigars the Cuban tradition. The other cigars are by Illusione, Ashton VSG and the one CC is the Punch Royal Seleccion #11, what many consider to be the best Corona Gorda coming out of Cuba today, yet not one of the aforementioned standard Corona Gordas. Here’s the breakdown…

Tatuaje Black
Tatuaje Havana IV Hermosos
Tatuaje White P1
La Riqueza #3
Cabaiguan Guapo 46
Don Pepin Garcia Blue Exquisitos
Illusione cg:4 white horse
Illusione eccj 15th Anniversary
Ashton VSG Corona Gorda
Cabaiguan Maduro 46
Padilla 1932 Corona Gorda
Punch Royal Seleccion #11

I will be reviewing each of these smokes, at least one per week on this thread. I have not reviewed many cigars, nor claim to have the most developed palate, but I hope you enjoy the ride.
If you have any other Corona Gordas you would like added to this thread or any input let me know.

It was easy to pinpoint this size for review, because so few cigars fall into these parameters, but I think this kind of cross-section review of similiar Marcas in the same size by true BOTL's is of great interest to CA members.

ps.Thanks to Dan from New Havana Cigars for helping complete this line-up.

Last edited by poker; 11-02-2008 at 01:30 AM. Reason: corrected per op
TomHagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar
Default Re: Corona Gordas - Tribute/Reviews/Comparison

Tatuaje Havana VI Hermosos

Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

</B>
Blended in the style of the flavorful yet Medium Bodied Cuban Cigars.
Cigars are rolled in Nicaragua using select Nicaraguan tobaccos and classic cuban blending with a beautiful Cuban triple-cap.

Staying true to the pride of El Rey de Los Habanos. The Hermoso is simply a perfect size, and translates to "beautiful, lovely, fine" - all of which describe the Havana VI blend in a size that everyone is bound to enjoy. This corona gorda highlights the flavors in the blend and allows the cigar to change in subtle stages while smoking it.

The Hermosos are made in Esteli Nicaragua at the Tabacalera Cubana factory overseen by Don Pepin Garcia.
(taken from Tatuaje & NHC websites, respectively)

This is my first review here, so here goes...

Firstly, the wrapper and appearance of the cigar was wonderful. Few veins, nice oily-ness, slightly toothy in spots, but very symmetrically rolled and wrapped.

So to my surprise, upon cutting it with my Palio, the cap revealed tobacco which almost appeared to be short filler stuck in the end. Small chunks of tobacco were exposed and fell out!!! Never had this happen with a Tatuaje before (and I have been through almost the whole lines of Brown and Red), so I decided to cut slightly lower (as I cut a little high up on the cap usually) and the same thing happened again and some the wrapper cracked revealing binder!!! OUCH!!

Not to be totally crushed, I fired it up, and immediately that wonderful aroma of Tatuaje Havana VI wafted up...Toasted Black Cherries, a slight Chocolateyness and eventually developed a little spice about 1/2 inch in. I find this flavor very akin to Illusione MK, a little in San Cristobal (but less cherry) and in some Padron 26 Maduro (esp. no. 35 the small one). I really love it! Here it is less sweet than a Maduro, more powerful, and less complex, more bold than in the Illusione's signature taste.
The cigar didn't change much in flavor throughout, but certain nuances came out and dissappeared. Very consistant.
The initial flaw in the cap didn't hurt the burn, which was perfect, leaving a solid beautiful white ash.
The rough cut on the cap left an unpleasantness in the feel, and little tobacco bits in my mouth like a short filler or machine rolled - very uncharachteristic for a Tatuaje. Copious amounts of smoke on a very even perfect draw.

Overall: out of 10
Flavor 9
Burn/Draw 10
Appearance 9
Construct 6
Value 10 (most CG's aren't cheap because they come from premium brands, and are smaller smokes, so this is relative)
Smoking Experience 8
Total Avg. 8.67
I focus a lot on flavor being paramount, so I definitely would buy again and try again, cause the cap issue was the only bad factor. Consistant flavor throughout.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

The cg:4, which measures 5 5/8 inches by 46 ring, has balance as well as strength, with sweet leather, nuts and cocoa on the palate. The cigars are the brainchild of Dion Giolito.

MADE BY: Fernandez y Fernandez
FACTORY LOCATION: Honduras
WRAPPER: Nicaragua
BINDER: Nicaragua
FILLER: Nicaragua
Dion Giolito blended these cigars using tobacco from first generation Corojo '99 and Criollo '98 seeds. They are beautifully constructed, featuring a Cafe Colorado wrapper and a cuban style triple cap.

The entire line is as filled with hidden meanings as the cigars are filled with flavor.

Made at the Raices Cubanas factory in Honduras from 100% Nicaraguan tobacco.

(from CA & NHC)

Which one is it Fernandez or Raices Cubans in Honduras??? or it the same thing??

The Illusione cg:4 is referred to as the "white horse" by Dion. As we know it was rated very highly on CA, ok, who cares, here goes...

First, let me say I smoke these cigars, Illusione and specifically the cg:4, very frequently.

Beautiful reddish-dark brown (colorado?) wrapper, sharp clean cut.

This particular specimen didn't have the sweetness, sweet leather or burnt black cherry-like flavor other cg:4's have had. It was more cuban-eque with a balanced earthy, tobacco flavors. I definitely enjoyed the cigar and the change in it's flavor profile, but was expecting the same.

As with most in the Illusione line, this cigar starts with a strong flavour and develops into a more moderate flavor, and then builds again by the nub (this is where the classic Illusione sweet, charred cherry flavor returned).

The cigar's first third burned razor sharp, a little uneven in the middle for a short while, but evened out on it's own shortly there after.

I must say this specimen, was different also, in that it wasn't as complex, yet consistent and tasty.

Flavor 8
Burn/Draw 9
Appearance 9
Construct 8
Value 10 (most CG's aren't cheap because they come from premium brands, and are smaller smokes, so this is relative)
Smoking Experience 8
Total Avg. 8.67
Old 10-29-2008, 04:48 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Nice! I love those ~cg:4's~

I can't wait for the rest of the reviews!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

This is an awsome idea. Looking forward to seeing your review on the ECCJ. Unfortunately I missed the release of these.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
Coz77
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Coz77 is on a distinguished road

Awesome line up you got there...looking forward to the rest of your reviews.
Coz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Glad you tranfered this one over!

CG4 - Nice review!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I just got 15 of the Padilla 1932 Signature Corona Gordas. I look forward to your review.
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I just got 15 of the Padilla 1932 Signature Corona Gordas. I look forward to your review.
I hope they are the Pepin rolled...
a buddy from the "old country" gifted me the one for this comparison, I am really looking forward to it...
Old 10-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

[quote=TomHagen;41471]I hope they are the Pepin rolled...QUOTE]

They are!!
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #11
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Name:  Caba1.JPG
Views: 507
Size:  51.8 KB

Cabaiguan Guapos 46

Cabaiguan - pronounced kah-bei-gWAHN, is named after a city in northern Sancti Spiritus province of Cuba. It is a medium bodied cuban style cigar, but we would consider it even stronger - especially towards the finish. This cigar has a burst of flavor and spice before lighting and mixes with the Nicaraguan blend of filler for an extremely flavorful smoke. Pepin's son, Jaime, worked with Pete during the blending process to produce this beauty.
The Guapo is the newest release in the Cabaiguan line. It features an Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper - making it stand out in the Cabaiguan offerings as yet another special Exlclusivo.

Box of 20 (5 5/8 x 46)

One of 3 new sizes in the Cabaiguan line, the Guapo 46 features a Sun Grown wrapper - giving this vitola a different experience in the Cabaiguan blend.

A ribbon holds the bundle of 20 cigars, which is then wrapped in paper and packaged in a beautiful hinged box.

The Guapo is rolled in Esteli, Nicaragua at the Tabacalera Cubana factory. A product of the El Rey factory exclusively for Tatuaje.

Name:  caba2.JPG
Views: 492
Size:  48.0 KB

This stick has a beautiful caramel colored wrapper topped with a pigtail triple cap. Wonderful appearance. I burned even throughout, needing hardly a touch-up.

Name:  caba3.JPG
Views: 494
Size:  37.5 KB

The taste changed wonderfully throughout starting with a nice floral, smoky spice that developed into a rich caramel (slightly choco-honey rum cake) flavors. A good full-body smoke, influenced by the sungrown wrapper.

Name:  caba4.JPG
Views: 481
Size:  44.4 KB

This cigar was more full-bodied and rich (than the Rx) due to it's size, wrapper/filler/binder ratio. The Rx was more traditionally cuban-esque, while this was more "dark"(?) tasting.

Name:  caba5.JPG
Views: 477
Size:  42.7 KB

Smoked to the nub, I totally enjoyed the nice, long finish and would highly recommend.

Flavor 9
Burn/Draw 10
Appearance 10
Construct 9
Value 9(most CG's aren't cheap because they come from premium brands, and are smaller smokes, so this is relative)
Smoking Experience 9
Total Avg. 9.33
Old 12-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Very cool thread, Consigliere!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #13
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

this is probably my favorite vitola, I look forward to all the reviews
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #14
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Some new Vitolas for the Corona Gorda "horizontal" tasting.

It seems I really have my work cut out for me...

(click the image)
Name:  new corona gorda vitolas.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  75.5 KB

La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial - Don Pepin Garcia

Esencia Cigars Corona Gorda

S. Luis Rey Serie A - CC '01

Casa Royale Ace - Don Pepin Garcia

Sorry, it's getting hard to keep up with this tasting, as it is ever expanding, but I think it is a rewarding case study on this vitola.

All the best
Old 12-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #15
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Cool thread! I can’t wait to read the next reviews.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #16
Yazzie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mark
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
Yazzie will become famous soon enough

Thanks for doing this. Can't wait for your review on the Ashton VSG which is one of my favorite NC's
Yazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

This is a great thread. Thank you for making the sacrifice to commit to smoking this whole lineup. Love the Guapos myself. One of my personal best finds of 08. Keep the reviews coming.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #18
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvarsity View Post
This is a great thread. Thank you for making the sacrifice to commit to smoking this whole lineup. Love the Guapos myself. One of my personal best finds of 08. Keep the reviews coming.
Yeah... but it's cold out there, and the typing and the photo uploads... oy!

The Guapos are definitely one of my best finds of 08 as well. I was put off by the mild/dry finish of the orig. Cabaiguans, but these Guapos are great!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

First Name: Bob
Trading: (37)
Boobar is on a distinguished road

The corona gorda has become one of my favorite sizes. I really love the Ashton VSG, the Illusione cg:4, and I also really like the La Flor De Cano Predilectos. The La Flor is not quite to the caliber that the other 2 are but it is a great every day smoke.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #20
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobar View Post
The corona gorda has become one of my favorite sizes. I really love the Ashton VSG, the Illusione cg:4, and I also really like the La Flor De Cano Predilectos. The La Flor is not quite to the caliber that the other 2 are but it is a great every day smoke.
Interesting, I have never had one... but I was recently VERY impressed by one of the La Flor de Cano Selectos someone sent me. It had a darker wrapper and was incomparable to a somewhat lighter one I had before which was horrible. It came in the cello with the red peel-away band to open the plastic. Is the Predilectos similiar??