Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #1321
Nash

Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

What does the term "toothy" mean when speaking of the wrapper?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #1322
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Usually it means the wrapper has a coarse texture

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #1323
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Usually it means the wrapper has a coarse texture
Maduro and camaroon wrappers are naturally more coarse and frequently described as "toothy" Icehog3 nailed this one.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #1324
sparkboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
My Preference Is The 62-66 Range.
if you put some dry sticks in your humidor how long do you think it'd take them to get in that 62-66 range? and what's your method of humidification
Old 07-08-2011, 03:57 AM   #1325
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkboss View Post
if you put some dry sticks in your humidor how long do you think it'd take them to get in that 62-66 range? and what's your method of humidification
Less Than 24H For Me. Be Sure & Recalibrate Your Hygrometer When You Add A Lot Of Sticks To Your Humi. I Use 65% RH Boveda Packs From http://www.bovedadirect.com/ And 65 % Beads From Here:
http://www.shilalasbeads.com/
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #1326
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Depends on how dry they are. If they are really dry, it's a slow process to get them to be smokable again. At least 6-8 months, imo.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #1327
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I will also add to Gregs post by suggesting slowly raising the RH over time if they are really dry.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 AM   #1328
sparkboss

oh wow.. alright i'll try to leave my humi closed for as long as possible.. someitmes i just get the urge to smell them though!

@greg, do you use both or one or the other?

and dave, i did increase it through a few small steps but i dont know if they were too dramatic. i put in my 65%, then after a few weeks did my 65% + water pillow (although im guessing the boveda would keep it the same as it was), then after no success for a month or two i threw in my 84%
Old 07-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #1329
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
oh wow.. alright i'll try to leave my humi closed for as long as possible.. someitmes i just get the urge to smell them though!

@greg, do you use both or one or the other?

and dave, i did increase it through a few small steps but i dont know if they were too dramatic. i put in my 65%, then after a few weeks did my 65% + water pillow (although im guessing the boveda would keep it the same as it was), then after no success for a month or two i threw in my 84%
You May Have A "Leaky" Humi (Poor Seal). You Should Be Able To Place A Dollar Bill Under The Closed Lid & Pull The Humi Without The Bill Coming Out. I Use Shilala's Beads Primarily & A Few 65% RH Boveda Packs In Each Humi & Coolidor To Get The RH To 63-66. You Shouldn't Need 84% To Maintain RH.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #1330
sparkboss

well, i'm doing okay holding a RH, the only problem is getting the humidity back into the sticks i've got. most the sticks i have are in pretty bad shape since everything i order takes so long to get here. i've also tested my seal a few times with bobs' 1" drop method, tests nothing but positive
Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #1331
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Can I stand cigars on end in my humidor, with the foot down or is it best to leave flat?

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 07-20-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #1332
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Can I stand cigars on end in my humidor, with the foot down?
Yes.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #1333
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

You can but you risk damaging the foot of the cigar. I wouldn't consider it. I have a few jars and I even lie them on their side.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #1334
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road

For those who freeze to keep the bugs away, do you see any issues with a week long stint in the garage freezer? I have to wait for some beads to arrive.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #1335
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerX View Post
For those who freeze to keep the bugs away, do you see any issues with a week long stint in the garage freezer? I have to wait for some beads to arrive.
Nope. I always freeze for a week, never had an issue with it yet.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #1336
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
Trading: (0)
racerX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Nope. I always freeze for a week, never had an issue with it yet.
Thank you so much for your reply. Big relief.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:01 AM   #1337
Hippiebrian

I'm a newbie, and so far have read through about 3/4 of this thread, so if I missed a question and am re-posting one .

I currently would like to store just a few sticks (say a dozen to 20 or so) at a time while I find my palete (sp?). I'm thinking about buying one of those stoneware jars I se at shops. Will this work well, or would I be better ff with a little tupperdore? The jars have the cool factor, but if the tupper would be better for a month's worth (or so) sticks, I'll use that.

I'm also thinking of eventually setting up a coolerdore, but live in a house where there's no a/c. I'm thinking freezer packs to keep it under 70 degrees when it gets into the 80's in the house. Would that work? Otherwise, I may not ever worry about long term storage, as I love visiting shops and buying a few new sticks at a time anyhow. Part of the experience for me, ya know?

Thanks all!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #1338
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiebrian View Post
I'm a newbie, and so far have read through about 3/4 of this thread, so if I missed a question and am re-posting one .

I currently would like to store just a few sticks (say a dozen to 20 or so) at a time while I find my palete (sp?). I'm thinking about buying one of those stoneware jars I se at shops. Will this work well, or would I be better ff with a little tupperdore? The jars have the cool factor, but if the tupper would be better for a month's worth (or so) sticks, I'll use that.
If the jar seals reasonably well I don't think it would be a problem. I'm guessing those things wouldn't have any sort of weird smell to them, but I don't know for sure. That might be something to look out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiebrian View Post
I'm also thinking of eventually setting up a coolerdore, but live in a house where there's no a/c. I'm thinking freezer packs to keep it under 70 degrees when it gets into the 80's in the house. Would that work? Otherwise, I may not ever worry about long term storage, as I love visiting shops and buying a few new sticks at a time anyhow. Part of the experience for me, ya know?

Thanks all!
I think the freezer packs would be a pain. I also think that the condensation they give off as they melt would play hell with your humidity, but that is just a guess. I don't know anyone that has tried it.

How hot does your house get? Set up the cooler in the coolest spot you have and freeze all the cigars you buy to minimize the risk of beetles. Here is a thread on how to freeze. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919

If you keep an eye on craigslist you might be able to score a used wine cooler on the cheap. That is a popular option around here, and sounds like it might work well for you down the road.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #1339
Hippiebrian

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for a wine fridge, as I probably won't get a big stock for a bit. I share a freezer with a room mate, so really don't have room in there to freeze too many sticks.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the wine fridge works better than a regular one due to the different way it cools, correct? Do those little cheapo fridges cool like a regular one or a wine fridge? Just a thought, as those tiny fridges can be had fairly cheap and would be fairly easy to make seal, if they don't already. I guess the other problem would be if they got too cold even at a higher setting.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #1340
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The wine refrigerators that are best for cigar storage use thermo-electric cooling units. The "standard" refrigerators use a compressor for cooling. Thermo-electric is much better for cooling our cigars and the units generally have less internal condensation.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote