Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Acquisition Disorder

I do not know if this is a real disorder or not, but...

CAD - Cigar Acquisition Disorder
PAD - Pipe Acquisition Disorder
TAD - Tobacco Acquisition Disorder
RAD -Razor Acquisition Disorder
BAD - Blade Acquisition Disorder
WAD - Watch Acquisition Disorder
PAD - Pen Acquisition Disorder
IAD - Ink Acquisition Disorder

I noticed a trend that happens. When people get onto a board or a discussion in a group that they frequent which has some sort of hobby involved and they hear about new items in that hobby, all of a sudden Acquisition Disorder sets in.

Along those lines, I have found (personally) that when I drift away from those boards/discussions, the Acquisition Disorder disappears.

Also, I think that those who join such groups or discussions, they already have such a personality that they easily fall into Acquisition Disorder.

So, anybody else notice this? Or am I way off mark?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Acquisition Disorder

I think it is a phenomenon prevalent in everyday society- we just don't recognize it. IMHO, the acquisition "disorder" is simply a reaction to the advertisement and commercials (intentional and unintentional) we are subjected to.

Take Pipe Acquisition Disorder for example. A majority of people here came into pipes after seeing another member post about the next best tobacco, or the coolest pipe they've ever smoked, and that spurs us to desire such an item.

Another example: we go to work and see that our coworker just got a fancy new pen with the company logo and then another coworker has a pen, and another and so on... our desire for that pen -a majority of the time- would increase to the point of us buying/finding that pen.

I think everyone has a personality to easily fall in to AD, because that's just who we are as human beings (and as a society).
Old 01-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Yes. I wouldn't be as into cigars if it weren't for this place. I'm happy about it. The relationships here are worth it.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Yeah, that's me, but it keeps me off the streets.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:27 AM   #5
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

I probably wouldn't classify it as a disorder but a passionate hobby and with all hobbies, they ebb and flow. By ebb and flow I mean that when your not as active on a forum your not as into the hobby but when the time is right, you want to share and discuss with others of like mind.

Many of the above hobbies can be quite social in nature and sharing your hobby with those that aren't into your hobby can be unpleasant such as lighting up a cigar in a public building would solicit some unpleasant feedback so instead we seek the company of those of like mind.

My
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

It's real, Todd!

That's why I can't watch golf on TV.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Long ago, on a cigar board far far away, we once called it ODO . . . order disorder.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #8
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

People who embrace hobbies enthusiastically often have obsessive-compulsive personality traits. This is particularly prevalent among "collectors" of varying things.

I think being a member of a board implies one is enthusiastic about a pastime. Thus - people prone to PAD,CAD hang out here.

I'm not sure it is a problem unless you are undisciplined regarding budget.

I have strayed good Reverend, as I really like expensive toys.....

Back to eBay to check on my Dunhill search......
Old 01-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

One more for the list.

My ex-wife had a "icehog's money acquisition disorder", but it hurt me worse than it did her.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #10
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

I trace my CAD back to receiving the emails for sales and a serious estimation problem on my part. I grossly over estimate the number of cigars I smoke in a year compared to the number of cigars I purchase in a year. But hey I got a great deal on them right
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #11
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

GAS - Guitar Aquisition Syndrome.

I have GAS.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
badbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
GAS - Guitar Aquisition Syndrome.

I have GAS.
You set yourself up for this... Beano can cure that!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #13
badbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

PAD - Pipe Acquisition Disorder
TAD - Tobacco Acquisition Disorder

I noticed a trend that happens. When people get onto a board or a discussion in a group that they frequent which has some sort of hobby involved and they hear about new items in that hobby, all of a sudden Acquisition Disorder sets in.

Along those lines, I have found (personally) that when I drift away from those boards/discussions, the Acquisition Disorder disappears.

Also, I think that those who join such groups or discussions, they already have such a personality that they easily fall into Acquisition Disorder.

Rev - methinks your JIAD is creeping up...Juicy Information Acquisition Disorder (you already used IAD!)
Old 01-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

My question was not truly a serious one, more of a question just to get a discussion going of a mildly humorous nature.

Personally, I am in denial of the ones highlighted in red... Sometimes this denial become one of victim, "It is so&so's fault that I have this AD."

I am in recovery of the ones highlighted in Magenta. (Recovery means that presently, I am not in acquisition mode, although I was earlier... and there is the danger that I could slip into acquisition mode again.)

Those in lime are those for which I have am in certain recovery, doubtful that I will fall into again.

And those untouched, are those which I never fell into acquisition disorder, although I have noticed some on this board that have.

PAD - Pipe Acquisition DisorderTAD - Tobacco Acquisition Disorder

Like I said, I noticed a comment the other day where someone blamed someone else for why they had fallen into a particular AD. It is meant to be tongue in cheek. But, in every truly comic scenario, there must be a kernel of truth mixed in, something to make it believable.

Yes, we could get into the whole reason why people are so easily duped into buying stuff. Is it the commercialization? I do not think so. Where someone has no interest whatsoever, a plethora of ads/commercials/etc... will never set them off into a buying spree.

I suppose we could call it an addiction. I know people who are addicted to Home Shopping Network and have bought and accumulated stuff they do not use or need, sometimes giving it away, sometimes just hoarding it.

I suppose we could discuss the societal influence (do not buy that), or the presence of original sin (not theological discussions please), but neither would be fruitful.

Bottom line, I wasn't looking for a serious answer. I was more looking for a chuckle or two, maybe someone saying, I have... X, Y, & Z ADs. Or saying, "hey Todd, you forgot to add X, Y, Z AD to you list."

It is interesting though how we can slip into "another one" so easily.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Huy has EABBOD syndrome.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #16
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

This is exactly why I blame all of you for my purchases, which I know I don't need. But, you should see my cooler!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #17
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

I already know I suffer from must hunt, find, buy, sell, trade for every Viaje Acquisition Disorder. I have helped guys with their other cigar brand AD's. Definitely suffer from cigar and pipe AD in general. When I hit the forums heavy reading pipe stuff the fever builds. The Viaje thing never goes away. I often find myself torn between AD's. I may want a pipe or pipe tobacco but then I equate it into how many Viaje I could buy. I didn't want to do a coolidor because they aren't pretty and I was set on a wineador. Well along comes my Viaje disorder and I have a coolidor because that wineador money turned into cigars.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #18
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

Jake, you have a problem!!

Old 01-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #19
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Jake, you have a problem!!

Yeah, he thinks Viajes are good?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I gather tools. I'm really good at it.
I don't really have any outside influences on it. I just get upset when something isn't working well enough or it's too hard to do, so I get better tools.
The problem is that I never get rid of the old ones. I've taken to dragging a bunch of it to the father-inlaw's, so that helps.

I haven't bought a cigar in forever. A couple years, at least.
I get paid in cigars a lot, so that keeps the hoarde growing. It's not an exponential increase nowadays, so that's good.

I agree that temptation is involved a lot of times. It's nice that the gluttony can be tempered a bit by sharing with brothers. Being able to bum a couple cigars and try them tends to stem off those box purchases, but it's also fun to hit a brother with a few smokes that cause him to buy a few boxes.