Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #681
Steelergar

Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
- Do you mean "Carano is hot". Cyborg is Santos.

D. White has stated that McCrory & Leites are back in the UFC, he's reversing who ever made that call.
Hell yeah Cyborg is hot. Just kidding I meant Carano. Thats good that they brought back Thales. That guy is pretty good and trains with some top level fighters.
On another note I am not a fan of the California testing agency. They have been wrong in the past about positive test and I wouldn't be suprised if Barnett was clean for his fight. Royce Gracie tested positive for crying out loud. Athletes have higher levels than normal people. They need to test their DNA also to have an accurate result. For Diaz since when does THC make you a stronger fighter. And its banned by the California testing agency in a state where small possession is not a crime?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #682
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Cyborg almost isn't fair, lol. Werdum looked slick, Melendez had an amazing game plan and utilized it to take the win. Melendez look great. Then there's Mousasi, who not many in the states know about, but I for one was pumped to finally see him over here. Making quick work of Babalu like that is no easy task. Mousasi is going to be a serious threat for many years to come.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:17 AM   #683
Steelergar

It was kind of tough watching hot carano get beat up. I would like to see Cyborg fight Faber. Werdum made it look easy. One of the coolest things about Mousasi is that he is so calm in the ring, even after he exploded on Babalu.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #684
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
It was kind of tough watching hot carano get beat up. I would like to see Cyborg fight Faber. Werdum made it look easy. One of the coolest things about Mousasi is that he is so calm in the ring, even after he exploded on Babalu.
I know sexism is out of style but I don't think any woman could actually hang with an experienced male fighter. I enjoyed the Carano Cyborg fight but the entire time I kept thinking wow, these are the two best female fighters? Am I out of line thinking it was just a sloppy fight? Cyborg was mounted with very little resistance...and then Carano just stood up out of it. Some very odd decisions got made in that fight...
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #685
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

RRocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
I know sexism is out of style but I don't think any woman could actually hang with an experienced male fighter. I enjoyed the Carano Cyborg fight but the entire time I kept thinking wow, these are the two best female fighters? Am I out of line thinking it was just a sloppy fight? Cyborg was mounted with very little resistance...and then Carano just stood up out of it. Some very odd decisions got made in that fight...
Lucia Rijker actually fought Somchai Jaidee (a former male champion) after Rijker had destroyed nearly every woman she fought (36-0, 25 KO). Jaidee ending up KOing her in the 2nd round though. You can find the vid on YouTube. When Rijker was being trained by legendary trainer Freddie Roach, Rjiker floored one of Roach's male champs in sparring...though Freddie would never say who it was. She also did a piece for Discovery Channel Fight Science. Lucia and a male boxer, both 140 lbs, left hooked a blind folded MMA fighter, and the fighter said Lucia's punch was harder. She is the toughest female fighter I've ever seen..and her style is the cleanest most "male like" I've ever seen. When she was in her prime against the right guy, I could definitely see her coming out on top.

As far as Carano..I never thought she was as much into MMA for fighting as she was to advance her career into acting/TV/modelling/whatever. She's been over-weight for several weigh-ins, left MMA for awhile to be an American Gladiator and is reputed to have gotten a "boob job" and supposedly will be posing for Playboy. This doesn't sound like someone who's #1 focus is MMA. To me she looked gassed by 2 minutes of the round. From then I though it would only be a matter of time..and it was.
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #686
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Mousasi is going to be a serious threat for many years to come.
The guy is badass. White seemed pissed they didn't land him in the UFC.

Quote:
Am I out of line thinking it was just a sloppy fight?
Nope! It was a bit sloppy with things went into the clinch & on the ground. I still liked the fight, though.

Quote:
supposedly will be posing for Playboy.
Carano has shot them down several times. damn!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #687
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Good card. Good fights. Cyborg is awesome!

Penn Wants Bout With Sanchez Sooner Rather Than Later

UFC Lightweight Champ BJ Penn talks to The Hawaii Tribune Herald about his proposed match up with Diego Sanchez and when he'd like to see it happen:

Its gonna happen, hopefully within the next two, two-and-a-half months. Im 30 now and Im hoping to get a couple of more fights in. I know they say that in MMA, people peak later, but who knows? My whole career, fighting from age 20 to 30, Ive gotten into real good shape and gotten out of shape and started getting back into shape again. I dont want to do that anymore. Here I am. Im in shape. I want to have fun for a couple of days, take some time off, eat some good food, and then I want to get right back into all that stuff. Diego is" really good, he's really explosive. He's shown that he has some knockout power and hes a very good grappler. He's very hungry, he's shown that he wants to be a champion someday. This is an important fight. I'd like to get a fight with St. Pierre again, but now that Diego Sanchez is next, once we get the word from Dana White, thats what were gonna be thinkin about.

Cung Le Eyes Return To Strikeforce By The End Of The Year

While Strikeforce has made recent headlines with the impressive roster of new talent company officials have managed to bring to the organization, one familiar face has remained unseen for more than a year.

Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le (6-0) hasn't fought since earning the title with a TKO win over Frank Shamrock in March 2008, and many MMA fans are calling for the flashy striker to give up the belt.

But as Le recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (http://www.mmajunkie.com/radio), Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker isn't of the same opinion.

"I had that conversation with Scott Coker," Le said. "I think we talked maybe a week ago, and he said he's trying to figure out when the next CBS date will be. He said as soon as he squares away that deal, am I interested in fighting? I said, 'Of course.'

Coker said either the end of the year or early next year he should get that CBS deal going and I should be back in there throwing kicks."
Old 08-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #688
LordOfWu

I like Cung Le, but for crying out loud! How do you get a belt and not fight for almost a year and a half?!? And now it might be early next year? Not good, and doesn't make Strikeforce look like it has it's ducks in a row either.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #689
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRocket View Post
Lucia Rijker actually fought Somchai Jaidee (a former male champion) after Rijker had destroyed nearly every woman she fought (36-0, 25 KO). Jaidee ending up KOing her in the 2nd round though. You can find the vid on YouTube. When Rijker was being trained by legendary trainer Freddie Roach, Rjiker floored one of Roach's male champs in sparring...though Freddie would never say who it was. She also did a piece for Discovery Channel Fight Science. Lucia and a male boxer, both 140 lbs, left hooked a blind folded MMA fighter, and the fighter said Lucia's punch was harder. She is the toughest female fighter I've ever seen..and her style is the cleanest most "male like" I've ever seen. When she was in her prime against the right guy, I could definitely see her coming out on top.

As far as Carano..I never thought she was as much into MMA for fighting as she was to advance her career into acting/TV/modelling/whatever. She's been over-weight for several weigh-ins, left MMA for awhile to be an American Gladiator and is reputed to have gotten a "boob job" and supposedly will be posing for Playboy. This doesn't sound like someone who's #1 focus is MMA. To me she looked gassed by 2 minutes of the round. From then I though it would only be a matter of time..and it was.
Thanks I'll go check for those clips! And yeah, Carano was definitely gassed.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #690
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfWu View Post
I like Cung Le, but for crying out loud! How do you get a belt and not fight for almost a year and a half?!? And now it might be early next year? Not good, and doesn't make Strikeforce look like it has it's ducks in a row either.
Gotta agree. He should have been stripped. I just found this recent article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...w-with-cung-le

Seems he has been filming movies, including Tekken and resting his elbow injury.

Quote:
Mike Leanza (Bleacher Report)- I'm sure you've probably heard this already but Jake Shields was offered a fight later this year for the interim middleweight championship. When asked about you he said it was "retarted" that you hadn't been stripped of the title. Any thoughts on that?

Cung Le- I don't have any thoughts on it. I don't blame Jake or anyone that feels that way. If they were in my position I'm sure they'd get the same comments. Obviously they don't have the opportunities that I have and I'm not mad at them at all. I feel bad. I said if eventually I don't defend my title than I'll have to vacate the title. It's not fair for other fighters not to be able to fight for the title.

I'm just striking while the iron is hot. I guarantee that 99.9% of the fighters out there would be doing the same thing. I love fighting and if I can fight forever than I'll fight forever.

The pay in MMA has gotten alot better but at the same time movies pay well too. And in the movies down the road when a movie comes out your get royalty checks every quarter. That doesn't happen in fighting.

I love fighting but I can't do it forever. I still have fights left in me and when the time comes I'll be back in the cage. In the meantime, Strikeforce only acquired Jake's contract this year. He's only fought one time.

Yeah, he got a great win but I've been with Strikeforce since the beginning. I have six fights with Strikeforce. I was there in the kickboxing days and when Scott Coker needs me to step up, I step up.

I don't mind what anybody says. It's probably retarted to Jake but if he were in my shoes right now, he'd be doing the same thing.
Quote:
Mike Leanza (Bleacher Report)- You've been gone for over a year now, do you fear any ring rust might spoil your return later down the road?

Cung Le- I guarantee there will be a little bit of ring rust. I haven't been training like a fighter but I have been training. I get my sparring in here and there and time Josh Thompson comes in he sees me training but it's not the same when your not training for a fight. You just get in a different zone.

I just have to make sure when I come back that I'm ready to defend the title or whatever the case is. If I'm not ready than I won't do it. I'm not a fighter that will just jump in there. I want to do it when I'm ready because I'm the one fighting.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #691
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

chuck lidell to be on dancing with the stars
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #692
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

'Jacare' Signs With Strikeforce

Fresh on the heels of todays announcement that Jake Shields will fight this fall for the Strikeforce interim middleweight championship, the promotion announced that Ronaldo Souza has been added to the 185-pound roster with a you guessed it fall 2009 debut.

Heres a snip from Jacare on the signing:

I am very excited that I will have the opportunity to fight in STRIKEFORCE amongst many of the worlds best middleweight fighters. STRIKEFORCE has an extremely deep roster of top middleweight fighters. I am looking forward to the challenge and to taking my career to the next level.

Jacare is perhaps best known (outside of his ridiculous jits) for his battles with Jason Miller over in DREAM. He outpointed Mayhem back in 2008 and their rematch was ruled a no contest after Souza was split open with a kick that officials deemed illegal.

No word yet on what will happen to their planned third tilt scheduled for DREAM 11 in September in light of this recent news.

The Alligator (Jacare translated) is a two-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion who placed second in the absolute division of the 2005 Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC) world championships, losing to Roger Gracie by submission (rear naked choke).

He also competed against UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture in a Professional Submission League grappling match in 2006, taking The Natural to a scoreless draw.

After getting knocked out in his mixed martial arts debut back in 2003, Souza put together a torrid 10-fight win streak, finishing nine of his victims by way of submission.

That streak came to a crashing halt courtesy of a perfectly timed upkick from Gegard Mousasi in the finals of the DREAM 2008 middleweight grand prix last September.

At 10-2, the Brazilian is a dangerous addition to any promotion, and should further bolster the Strikeforce middleweight roster.

In fact, with Shields and now Jacare, Cung Le might want to think twice about rushing back from his hoedown in Hollywood to unify the belts.

http://mmamania.com/2009/08/04/ronal...h-strikeforce/

This is freaking hilarious!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #693
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
'Jacare' Signs With Strikeforce

This is freaking hilarious!

Carano got paid $125k for that fight , holy crap!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=9399&zoneid=2
Old 08-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #694
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post

Carano got paid $125k for that fight , holy crap!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=9399&zoneid=2

And for 125k you think she'd have bothered putting gas in the tank. She looked pathetic.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #695
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
And for 125k you think she'd have bothered putting gas in the tank. She looked pathetic.

Agreed, Andy. She struggled to make weight for this fight too. I'm sure you heard about the whole nude weigh in thing...

She's just never really been focused in MMA IMO...
Old 08-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #696
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

A couple of mma news bits:

Former light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz is set to make his return to the Octagon opposite the first-ever heavyweight champion for the promotion, Mark Coleman, at UFC 106 from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Nov. 21.

Mike Disabato, founder of MMA Authentics and long-time friend/training partner of Coleman, today confirmed the rumored 205-pound match up via Twitter.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lil Nog to joins the UFC.

The UFC will soon have a notable addition to its light-heavyweight division, according to former UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

During a media conference call to promote his upcoming UFC 102 main-event fight with Randy Couture, "Minotauro" Nogueira said his twin brother, Antonio Rogerio "Minotoro" Nogueira, will soon be announced as a UFC fighter.

Additionally, a source close to the fighter today told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) "Little Nog" has been scratched from a Sept. 12 Bitetti Combat show, where he was slated to fight Alex Stiebling.

The UFC has yet to make an official announcement, and Tom Huggins of Bitetti Combat informed MMAjunkie.com that he was unaware of Nogueira's intentions to withdraw from the contest. Huggins also said that the Sept. 12 event will go on as planned regardless of the light heavyweight's ultimate decision.

"Minotoro" Nogueira, a former PRIDE and Affliction fighter, owns a 17-3 career record and current five-fight win streak.

"He's coming to the UFC very soon," "Minotauro" said of his brother. "They (UFC officials) are going to announce that. I don't know when. They've already talked to him, so for sure he's coming to the UFC.

"You're going to hear that."

Nogueira, who submitted Dion Staring at a May Jungle Fight event in Brazil, was recently announced as a participant in next month's Bitetti Combat show. However, it's not known if his departure from the card is directly related to the UFC deal.

"Minotoro," 33, turned pro in 2002 and is widely regarded as one of the top 10 or 15 fighters in the light-heavyweight division. His career includes victories over notables such as Alistair Overeem (twice), Dan Henderson, Guy Mezger and Kazushi Sakuraba.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanderlei Silva has facial surgery, ruled out of UFC 105

MMABay can EXCLUSIVELY reveal that former PRIDE FC middleweight champion, Wanderlei “The Axe Murderer” Silva has undergone extensive facial surgery in Brazil ruling him out of his proposed fight with Michael Bisping in the UK.

After seeing pictures posted on a popular internet forum of the star, MMABay contacted a source in Las Vegas that shed light on the situation. Surgery of this type normally takes 3-4 weeks to recover from but due to circumstances beyond control, the Brazilian will have to sit out the rest of the year.

Wanderlei was all set to square off with UK star, Michael Bisping at UFC 105 on November 14th in Manchester, England but when MMABay contacted management at the Widnes based gym tonight we were told “The Count” had no opponent at this time, backing up what our source had told us in Brazil.

http://mmabay.co.uk/Story%2002334.html
Old 08-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #697
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
A couple of mma news bits:

Former light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz is set to make his return to the Octagon opposite the first-ever heavyweight champion for the promotion, Mark Coleman, at UFC 106 from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Nov. 21.

Dana had said that this is the match-up fans want to see most. Is it?? I don't recall hearing ANY of my friends or other hard-core MMA fans say "I wish Tito would fight Coleman". This will be a crap fight IMO. Coleman is damn near what...50 years old? The UFC is well on it's way to becoming WWE......
Old 08-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #698
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I had some friends ask me about her fight and I said the same thing. I'm not an expert, but I think she can use some boxing work. She might have been able to go a bit longer if her puncher better placed with a little more power.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #699
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't recall hearing ANY of my friends or other hard-core MMA fans say "I wish Tito would fight Coleman". This will be a crap fight IMO. Coleman is damn near what...50 years old? The UFC is well on it's way to becoming WWE......
Totally agree. Who wants to see this fight??? Though can we refrain from using suck terms as highlighted. And the UFC isn't the WWE.

Quote:
I had some friends ask me about her fight and I said the same thing. I'm not an expert, but I think she can use some boxing work. She might have been able to go a bit longer if her puncher better placed with a little more power.
Gina just didn't train enough like you'd expect someone to do walking into a title fight. I think both of these women should think about fighting a little heavier.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #700
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Dana had said that this is the match-up fans want to see most. Is it?? I don't recall hearing ANY of my friends or other hard-core MMA fans say "I wish Tito would fight Coleman". This will be a crap fight IMO. Coleman is damn near what...50 years old? The UFC is well on it's way to becoming WWE......
He's giving Tito a tomato can on his first fight back. Frankly, I don't think the majority of people wants to see the master of lay and pray, Tito, either. These guys are both yesterday's news.