Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
CSTibby

Default Seasoning my Humidor

I got a humidor Wednesday. It's a 25 cigar-er, Dark Walnut with blonde maple veneer, Spanish cedar lined. I've been trying to season it, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right at all.

On Thursday, I bought some distilled water and a sponge and damped all of the wood, as I've been told to do. I left the damp sponge it in, and I let it sit for 24 hours. It was a good 70 when I opened her the next day (Friday). I wetted her down again, and this time, I wetted the humidifier in it. 24 hours later, and I just opened her, and she is at 60. I just refilled the humidifier today. It feels like it has a good seal when I close it.

Am I doing this right? Is this normal? How much longer before it is seasoned and cigar ready?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Seasoning my Humidor

Lots of good information here.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21766

The second link has links to other threads in it as well.

You can't rush the seasoning process. And, in my experience, it takes a lot longer than 24-48 hours.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
CSTibby

Thanks! I tried to search for some threads about it, but I couldn't find any my self, and time is of the essence! I'm moving to a town with a humidor to visit in a week, and I've got to get my collection built up (it'll be a 30 minute drive to nearest Humidor from where I'm moving!)
Old 03-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Just fill the humidor with cigars and let it rock. It'll take a couple of weeks but will settle in. So much fuss is not necessary.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Throw away the humidifier that came with it and get some beads. Shilala ones available right here on the site are great. If using an analog hygrometer then throw that away and get a digital one. Takes a good week or more to season well but you are doing it right. Mostly it takes patience and don't put too much worry into the process.... Enjoy the experience.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
CSTibby

Can you tell me more about these "beads"?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
DonWeb
Juat Passin' Thru

First Name: Tony
Trading: (2)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
DonWeb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Just fill the humidor with cigars and let it rock. It'll take a couple of weeks but will settle in. So much fuss is not necessary.
Agreed!

If the humidor seals properly, then the humidity will settle in just fine. There will be plenty of time before the cigars suffer.

(Though if you left the sponge in make sure it's not touching the cigars.)
DonWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTibby View Post
Can you tell me more about these "beads"?
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=Beads

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

Don't over think this. . . it's all about getting the Spanish Cedar moist to about 70% RH before storing cigars. Straight distilled water can bring the humidity up as high as 80 or 90% given enough time. Beads are really good. There are some GREAT humidification devices on the market now. I like the gel (globs or nuggets) sold inside a little jar (about an inch tall by 2-inches in diameter +/-). When the gel nuggets get dry & shrink, just add distilled water. We live in the desert (always very dry here). I also keep a sauce cup with Propylene Glycol & 50% distilled water in addition to the gel/beads. I like to see the water/liquid level. . . so, when it gets low, I just add distilled water. Been working good for over 8 years now.

I've seasoned numerous humidors for friends. It only takes a couple days. I use a very fine spray bottle with distilled water. Leave a dish of water or soaked wet sponge on a dish too. It's ok to wet the Spanish Cedar! It soaks right into the wood. . . and, that's a good thing. Never use tap water. Never use 'drinking' water. They have minerals. Distilled water has no minerals. Therefore, no residue.

More good advice:
Use a good quality digital hydrometer to measure your RH. Analog hydrometers (with a needle & dial) need to be calibrated from time to time. . . another science project in itself!

An empty humidor (with lots of open space) is difficult to control. A full humidor has less air/space to re-humidify after opening to select or inspect your cigars.

Tip:
I like to spritz the lid with a quick (fine) spray of distilled water to re-humidify the box. The moment you open the humidor, the RH releases into the room air. Room air is usually around 20 to 40% RH. The reason I (occasionally) spritz is because the beads and/or Propylene Glycol solutions work very hard (and takes hours) to bring the humidity back up to the desired 68 to 70%. However, beads and/or PG will absorb moisture much faster with the "over moist" lid. The spritzing will spike the humidity to around 80% then the beads/PG, Spanish Cedar and dry room-air will contribute to a quick drop to the desired 68 to 70% RH.

Disclaimer:
I'm not a chemist nor scientist. Just sharing my years of experience. It's a constant 'science experiment'. My cigars are consistently and properly humidified. .. . ready to smoke.

Next time we'll discuss temperature! The challenge is to keep your humidor in the ideal temperatures around the 70 degree area. Over 75 degrees enables tobacco beadles to hatch!

Carry on!

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:04 AM   #10
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Throw away the humidifier that came with it and get some beads. Shilala ones available right here on the site are great. If using an analog hygrometer then throw that away and get a digital one. Takes a good week or more to season well but you are doing it right. Mostly it takes patience and don't put too much worry into the process.... Enjoy the experience.
this is the way to go. Shilala makes some AWESOME stuff and any member using his beads can vouch for that. i know i can. i use em and trust em in my vinotemp and desktop humidor.
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
Barteur
Golf is life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (18)
Cohiba
Barteur will become famous soon enough

I also have the Shilala beads and they rock.