Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
mrreindeer

Default Argottatryanother...Arganese CT Ambassador Torpedo

Name: Arganese Connecticut Ambassador Torpedo
Country of Origin: Dominican Republic
Size: 6 7/8 x 52 (Torpedo)
Filler: Dominican
Binder: Indonesian
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut Shade
Price: ~$7/each

Well, I was a little stumped by this one. The only other Connecticut wrapped sucker I’ve had is the exceptional Cusano Double CT so perhaps it was a bit unfair of me to compare the two.

But I did, so sue me!

I apologize in advance for two things:
1) Pictures, or the lack thereof…I had only my cellphone to work with and while my subject cooperated for the most part, my cell is dying and I can’t get the bloody pics off/downloaded or even emailed
2) Rather short, uninspiring review because I just didn’t particular like this cigar

So here’s where I was…sitting out on a beautiful, sunny, Southern California day on the Hermosa Beach Pier, awaiting the arrival of the pregnant mrsreindeer & thepregnantfriendofmrandmrsreindeer.

I stole this pic from the web but that’s where I was but a little closer to the beach so I could, uh, monitor the tanning of ladies going on, you know, so I could make sure they weren’t getting burned…SAFETY FIRST…:

So I made my perch on the pier much like this little feller in the picture and we both inspected the gear. Cigar, check. Cutter, check. Lighter, check. Cup of water, check. Beak, wings, uh, nevermind.

I inspected the cigar like I had done the moment I received it from MithShrike (thank you Matt!). It’s a beautiful looking cigar, smooth & light in color. See?

From what I’ve learned about CT wrapped cigars, I was expecting something nice, creamy & smooth, like the Cusano Double Connecticut. It smelled & looked good and with the wind blowing through my hair (I have short hair), I decided to clip it and stick it.

Prelight draw was easy, effortless. Whoa, get a load of those two…..labels…this thing comes with two. I’m not talking about the gals on the beach at all.

The wind was up, for sure, but it didn’t take long to light and I really, really, really tried to figure out the flavors coming off this cigar.

Throughout, all I can say is that there was a sour, tangy kind of taste that I didn’t particularly enjoy.

I kept waiting for the creaminess to hit. But it never did. The aroma was nice enough but the sourness kept coming through and thankfully, the bikini-clad gals on the beach kept my interest since the cigar did not…..for a good hour and a half.

Burn was decent especially in the wind and I only corrected once.

I’ve read a few reviews of this cigar online and I really can’t see the stuff others have found with this cigar. So, like the last Arganese I tried, I’ll have to try another to see if it was a lame duck in the bunch or if I just don’t care for Arganese. That’s just me. And I’m a lame duck so it might very well be me.

Still, I very much appreciate Matt’s (MithShrike) generosity for allowing me the opportunity to try something I hadn’t had before.

Stay tuned for a review on the Tatuaje Torp! I can’t wait.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation
Default Re: Argottatryanother...Arganese CT Ambassador Tor

hmmm, I'm with you. Not all, but most of the Ct wrapped cigars I have tried come accross either bitter or sour. Maybe they need some age? I have had a few that were ok, just not a lot.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

The last CT wrapper I smoked was the RP Connecticut and it was very bitter. So far the only CT wrapper I have loved is the Cusano so I am in the same boat with you there.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
MithShrike

Huh I normally get a creamy nutty sweetness out of those. We have had that box open for quite some time I'm going to have to try one to see if they're going through a sick period.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review David! The Hermosa pier is a great place to enjoy a stogie!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
mrreindeer

thanks guys & thanks for readin!