Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
SirMoby

Default Rocky Patel Edge Toro Corojo

So I'm just getting back into cigars. Smoked 4 this week but maybe 12 - 15 in the last 6 months. I thought I would write my thoughts on my latest smoke. Go easy on the critique as I'm a newbie again.

On a recommendation from my local shop I tried this cigar for under $5.00 a stick. I thought the feel and wrapper were very nice and with slight oily sheen to it.

It had an easy draw from the beginning. Burned well, with one small flake that took care of itself and if I wasn't watching I wouldn't have notice. The ash was thick and got to about 1.5 inches while I was going for brisk walk.

There was plenty of smoke and it was a smooth flavor. A bit nutty. Reminded me of wheat, brown rice cooked in chicken broth, cashews and lemon thyme came to my mind. Not that it had an herbal or citrus flavor but if a small amount of lemon thyme was added to the broth used to cook brown rice it would have a similar effect.

It paired well with a glass of Glenlivet 12 year old scotch.

While I think this is a good "sport" cigar, fine while I was walking, good for playing cards and doing other things when I sat down with just the cigar and my scotch I found it a bit uninteresting. Certainly no off flavors but nothing to keep my attention.

I thought it was a good cigar for $5.00 and I will probably buy it again for poker night. But when my wife and daughter go to sleep and I slip out back for a cigar and scotch I want something else to focus on.

Smooth, smokey, well made and $5.00.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation
Default Re: Rocky Patel Edge Toro Corojo

one of my favorites.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat stick!! Great review!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
BigJonMoo73

Excellent detailed review! I'll definitely have to give one of those sticks a go for only $5!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
yes please

I have had the maduro and enjoyed it. Great flavour.....will need to give the natural a try.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Do you always walk with a glass of Glenlivet?

Nice review.
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
SirMoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Do you always walk with a glass of Glenlivet?

Nice review.
I walk for 20 to 30 minutes when I first light up. Then I get home and have about 1/2 a cigar still burning so I can pour a glass of scotch