Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #81
gpugliese
B.Y.O.B.

First Name: Greg
Trading: (13)
HUpmann
gpugliese will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
I find that I most enjoy the peat associated with Islays. What would be your recommendations (more than one is fine) for a reasonably priced (say less than $50 or $60) SMSW with these characteristics?

If I may, another recommendationesqe (not a word, I know ) question. I believe in the mantra that variety is the spice of life, and I don't want to focus on one profile/region. I'd like to start (over the course of the next few months) a Scotch collection. What Scotches from the different regions would you recommend that best touch on the attributes associated with each region? This would be more of my learning curve exercise so I wouldn't want things to get too pricy.
I'm in a similar situation as you. I never was much of a scotch guy until recently, when I had the chance to do a vertical taste test on Highland Park 18, 25 and 30 years. The 18 year is reasonable, but the 25 & 30 are quite expensive. Definitely an eye opening experience!

I then was introduced to Lagavulin 16, and I really enjoyed the smokey flavor from the peat. A friend of mine recommended Laphroaig 10 or 15 year, as the Lagavulin 16 runs $70+. I've seen Laphroaig 10 at $35 online, but only for $40-50 locally. I did see a bottle of the 15 year on sale for $55, so I grabbed it.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #82
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

The laphroaig is a tasty dram. If you want super Peaty, try Peat Monster by Compass Box whiskey. The owner of the distiller had a tasting that I attended and this thing is full od peaty, smokey goodness. Problem is I don't know how much it costs. It shouldn't be too much higher than your price range through.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #83
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I find that I most enjoy the peat associated with Islays. What would be your recommendations (more than one is fine) for a reasonably priced (say less than $50 or $60) SMSW with these characteristics?

If I may, another recommendationesqe (not a word, I know ) question. I believe in the mantra that variety is the spice of life, and I don't want to focus on one profile/region. I'd like to start (over the course of the next few months) a Scotch collection. What Scotches from the different regions would you recommend that best touch on the attributes associated with each region? This would be more of my learning curve exercise so I wouldn't want things to get too pricy.

Again, thanks for this thread, it is a great resource.
Here are a few suggestions to consider, in your quest for variety! These should all be well within your budget!

Ardberg 10yo - Islay / Michael Jackson’s review – Tar-Like, Medicinal, Seaweedy-Salty, with a light Maltiness and a Lemon Skin Fruitiness!

Arberlour 10yo – Speyside / Michael Jackson’s review – Nutty Maltiness, Unusually Textured, Nougat-Like with a hint of Cherries. It’s beautifully balanced!

Highland Park 12yo – Island (non-Islay) / Michael Jackson’s review – Exceptionally smooth, Succulent, with a Smoky Dryness, a Heathery-Honey Sweetness and a light Maltiness! Exceptional!

Glenmorangie 12yo – Highlands / Michael Jackson’s review – Up front Butterscotch, with lot’s of Vanilla and Honey!

Springbank 10yo – Campbeltown / Michael Jackson’s review – Soft, Marshmallowy, Sweet Red Apples, Pears and Hedgerow Fruits!

I am not very familiar with any, from the Lowland Region, so I cannot make a recommendation at this time.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #84
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Wow, thanks for all the fantastic input everyone. Sometime tonight (when I'm not supposed to be working ) I'll post what I have had up until this point...of course after reviewing all of the selections I'm thinking about swinging by the liquor store to pick one out!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #85
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Okay, shoot me! I put together a list real quick

Current Selection at home:
Glenfiddich
Bruichladdich – The Rocks

Have had recently:
Bunnahabhain 12 yr
Tomintoul 10 yr
Speyburn

“It’s been a while” - so long that I can't really recall the characteristics of each:
Balvenie (I can’t recall which one)
Dalwhinnie
Glen Moray

As for blends, I’ve recently had JW Black and Chivas and have had many others not so recently.

Of all the ones noted I recall enjoying the Bunnahabhain the most. It seemed to have a very strong character so to speak. The two I have at home, while nice, just aren’t wowing me. The Bruichladdich has the salty character referenced in an earlier post. The Glenfiddich is….well…. Glenfiddich. Again, nice but just there. I have sampled many others but don’t feel it’s been recent enough for me to even mention them.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #86
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
If you want a good variety, try the Classic 6:

(I just cut this from here)
Well, I did in fact go to my local merchant tonight and they have the display shown in your link. Thought I'd mention it.

I ended up buying the Ardbeg 10yo as recommended by many. It ran me 52.99 which seems reasonable. I intended to try the Glenmorangie as well, but they were out of stock. If they don't have it next time, I think I may try the Highland Park 12 instead.

Thanks for the abundance of info.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #87
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Well, I did in fact go to my local merchant tonight and they have the display shown in your link. Thought I'd mention it.

I ended up buying the Ardbeg 10yo as recommended by many. It ran me 52.99 which seems reasonable. I intended to try the Glenmorangie as well, but they were out of stock. If they don't have it next time, I think I may try the Highland Park 12 instead.

Thanks for the abundance of info.
Great choices to start with!

Let us know what your thoughts are, on each of your selections, as you try them!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #88
kayaker

Quote:
I think I may try the Highland Park 12 instead.
I'd take the HP over Glenmorangie. Ardbeg is a great choice.

Let us know how you like it.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #89
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Alright guys I will leave this in your hands....

I have only tried a few and am very new to scotch. I am a big Whiskey fan and would like to dabble in the single malt scotch scene a bit.

I would like to try something a bit on the smoother side with maybe a hint of floral or sweet notes. I am looking to spend around $50. What do you suggest? Also what is a descent $30 range bottle?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Last edited by cort; 01-13-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #90
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I would do some Ardbeg 10 for th $50.00 bottle and for the $30.00, there's Tomatin 12 or Mclellands high/lowland and they make an Islay as well.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #91
kayaker

Scapa 14 is very smooth, and easy on the pocket book ($40ish). Dalwhinnie is also great but more expensive ($60ish).

Arran Island distillery has some nice, kinda fruity flavoured bottles, not sure on prices.

Glenkinchie is also smooth, but on a price point similar to the Dalwhinnie.

That's all I can come up with right now.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #92
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwc4sc View Post
Alright guys I will leave this in your hands....

I have only tried a few and am very new to scotch. I am a big Whiskey fan and would like to dabble in the single malt scotch scene a bit.

I would like to try something a bit on the smoother side with maybe a hint of floral or sweet notes. I am looking to spend around $50. What do you suggest? Also what is a descent $30 range bottle?

Thanks in advance

Gary
This would be a perfect choice in the $40 range:

Highland Park 12yo – Island (non-Islay) / Michael Jackson’s review – Exceptionally smooth, Succulent, with a Smoky Dryness, a Heathery-Honey Sweetness and a light Maltiness! Exceptional!

Don't know of any SMS in the $30 range that are worthy of recommendation, however, with blends, Johnnie Walker Black is my go to scotch at around $28 a fifth. An amazingly complex scotch! Chivas Regal 12yo is also a worthy choice, in a blend, right at $30 a bottle.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #93
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Thanks alot for all of the suggestions guys. Much appreciated. I am going to Bevmo tomorrow to pick up a bottle. I will let you know what I get once I decide. Thanks again.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #94
pmp

I've been drinking the hell out of aberlour 12 lately. I loved the 10, the 16 and abunahd but of all the aberlour range the 12 is my favorite.For 35 bucks a bottle is literally unbeatable.

Another great inexpensive single malt is mccallan fine oak 10. This stuff keeps my interest better than the mccallan fine oak 15 and the regular mccallan range.

As far as more expensive stuff goes I rarely find myself straying from lagavulin or talisker these days. They just offer so much that I want in a quality single malt. The mouthfeel is really what sets them apart for me.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #95
kayaker

Nice choices there PMP. I need to get more familiar with the Aberlour line.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #96
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Well guys, I must say I am very pleased with the Ardbeg 10 yo I purchased. The medicinal quality of it is evident and very pleasing. The peatiness of it hits the spot

I'm excited to continue my sampling journey!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #97
kayaker

Glad you enjoy it. I also really enjoy the Ardbeg Uigeadail. It's more expensive, but it is cask strength (usually requires water to drink) and very tasty.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #98
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
Well guys, I must say I am very pleased with the Ardbeg 10 yo I purchased. The medicinal quality of it is evident and very pleasing. The peatiness of it hits the spot

I'm excited to continue my sampling journey!
Excellent choice!

It's very cool that you are happy with the selection you made!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #99
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I'd take the HP over Glenmorangie.
I ran out this weekend and picked up the Highland Park 12yo as suggested ($39.99). I couldn't imagine the difference between my two most recent purchases (Ardbeg and HP) being more different. The HP was very smooth, probably the smoothest scotch I've had. Where the Ardbeg was medicinal and peaty, the HP was sweet like honey. Pretty cool that two things so similar could be so entirely different.

In my limited experience the HP 12yo would be a great scotch for someone who is just getting into scotch.

Which did I like better? Most of the time I would see myself reaching for the Ardbeg as I really enjoy the intense flavors, but if I'm looking for something smooth I'd definitely grab the HP.

Now, what to buy next?!?

Great...another S
``````````````L
```````````````O
`````````````````P
```````````````````E
`````````````````````!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #100
kayaker

Quote:
Now, what to buy next?!?
Try the Bowmore 12 or 15. It has some of the characteristics of both the HP and Ardbeg, nicely balanced.

Glad you are enjoying.