Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Wrist-Watch experts

Hello, I am looking for a new watch and don't have a bunch of money to spend. I like big, heavy, metal band watches. I was looking at Invicta watches on Amazon and was wondering what the lowdown on them is. This one is 45 mm diameter case, but the reviews are mixed as to the reliability of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-5249S-...icta+pro+diver

anyone have any experience with these? Or have any alternatives I should consider. As I said money is a little tight right now so I can't spend a lot.

Thanks
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wrist-Watch experts

I have only heard good things about Invicta watches.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
longknocker
Postwhore

Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Greg: PM Justin emopunker2004. He's Had A Lot Of Invictas.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks Greg. I also sent a message to Brian (MurphysLaw) as he has some too.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

I have a lot of Invictas and they look great and are relatively inexpensive.
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I searched "Invicta" and saw some threads where the particular one I was looking at isn't known for keeping great time.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Which model is it. Maybe i have it and tell you. I know that all the ones if have work fine. Never had an issue with them
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by equetefue View Post
Which model is it. Maybe i have it and tell you. I know that all the ones if have work fine. Never had an issue with them
Theres a link in the first post.

In an old thread it seems that a quartz might be a better one to go with instead of the automatic.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Whoops maybe that one is quartz after relooking at it.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I recently purchased this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and am very happy with it!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I like the simple look of that one Hugh, but a little more than I can stand money wise at the moment.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I have an Invicta my wife gave me. It's heavy, looks good and works fine. I'd have absolutely no reservations buying another.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
Theres a link in the first post.

In an old thread it seems that a quartz might be a better one to go with instead of the automatic.
Greg, is that the one you are looking at? I have several watches and a bunch of Invicta...love most of them...
Old 01-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #14
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conch Republican View Post
Greg, is that the one you are looking at? I have several watches and a bunch of Invicta...love most of them...
Yes, I was looking at that one and they have this one at:

http://www.shophq.com/Invicta_47mm_P...prop=Men's Watches|472&prop=Show|Invicta Watches - Clearance
Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I ordered the above linked one from shophq. Will post a pic or two when it comes in. Anyone give me any insight on the sizes? It's 47 mms. I have probably never had a watch quite this big, but I do like big metal clunky watches so hope this one doesn't disappoint.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #16
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

http://www.orient-watch.com/

Probably too late, but Orient makes some stellar quality automatics in a very affordable price range. You will also rarely ever run into anyone wearing one, just a little off the beaten path.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #17
ky70
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
ky70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Greg: PM Justin emopunker2004. He's Had A Lot Of Invictas.
Look around the net a bit more and you will find plenty of negative comments on Invicta as I would say their reputation is shakey with folks who love em and hate em.

I got into watches because of Invicta and shop NBC in 2008 and proceeded to aquire dozens of Invictas. I got rid most of them and don't wear the ones I still have because my tastes have changed.

My opinion is that they have some reasonably priced watches and are a good value IF you get one in perfect working condition. If you should happen to get a watch that isn't functionally properly or have an issue down the road, this is where the trouble may start. Their warranty service is not good and you're generally in for trouble and frustration should you have to use their "white glove service" warranty.

But google Invicta warranty repair and Invicta customer service and you will find some interesting reading. Good luck.

Last edited by ky70; 01-05-2014 at 07:36 PM.
ky70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #18
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Thanks Ken, I did see some of what you mention.. Hoping I don't have a bad experience with buying one.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #19
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

You wont. Dont pull the trigger on anything till later this week...

Close this one up Mods
Old 01-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Too late. already ordered it.