Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough
Default Casa Magna BTT at Detroit Herf

Tuesday night a few of us had our monthly herf and I decided to provide some sticks for a little blind taste under the condition that everyone had to post a review here on CA for the rest of the inmates.

I passed out various sizes of the hotly debated Casa Magna. We sampled the vaunted Robusto, Bellicoso, and I tackled the 6x60 beast. Below is my review and there should be others to follow.

This 6x60 cigar is much larger than I normally prefer but I thought for our little BTT, we would sample different sizes. It features a gorgeous dark, oily wrapper. It features a triple cap and was very firm throughout, and has a nice balanced weight in my hand. The pre-light dry-draw is firm and there are hints of pepper, and earthy, mellow coffee.

The initial draw offers the pepper but far less than you would expect. It is creamy smooth and lightly complex adding a light cedar wood, and rich, mellow, earthy coffee combination. The flavors mellow after the first 1/3 and this baby really smoothes out…not that it needed to. The firm draw slowed my normal smoking experience, but the richness more than compensates me for the extra time spent. About mid-way to the final third, the intensity kicks up a notch in richness and throws in some dark leather and dark chocolate mocha. I purged it at the 1/3rd point and immediately awakened the mellow giant, and I was promptly rewarded with the full, creamy, complexity and richness of this cigar till the finish.

The ash is medium light grey, and doesn’t flower or flake. It stayed on well past the 1” mark when I chose to tap. The burn had a couple of uneven points that needed a slight touch up, but overall it didn’t give me any trouble, and stayed lit for a couple of 10 minute+ periods when I left it unattended.

I don’t know how to rate cigars, but I know what I like, and I liked this one. I purchased the last box of Robustos at my B&M and a few singles for this BTT, and I’m glad I did. I paid $105 for a box of 27, which equals $3.88 ea. The box is a well built, burgundy, Spanish cedar lined beauty that is usually reserved for higher price point sticks. I can honestly say that it would be hard to find a NC cigar for less than $4 that would beat this one. Is it #1??? Who cares!!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

Partagas
Default Re: Casa Magna BTT at Detroit Herf

I have a couple of pictures I'll post this evening
Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
fissure
DHC Black Ops

First Name: Steve
Trading: (48)
Partagas
fissure has disabled reputation

I got to smoke the belicoso (6.25 x 54) size for my BTT. Pretty much echo Sam's statements. A stick that is bigger than I like to smoke but it was really well made and smooth. Great draw with hints of caramel, mocha, and coffee. For the price, a good cigar. Thanks Sam
fissure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
FriskyDingo
hoosierherfers.com

First Name: Evan
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
FriskyDingo is on a distinguished road

I was at my local shop and bought one of these. Solely based on the fact it was named the #1 cigar through CA this year and I'd never heard of it or seen it offered anywhere beforehand and I just have it give it a try.
I think I paid $5.00 for the Belicoso btw.

Nice review too! I look forward to comparing my experience with yours.

-= http://www.hoosierherfers.com =-
FriskyDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Great idea for a blind review. I’m glad to hear that it was a good cigar.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Dan (Hardcz) taking in the art and a 1923 National Club pre-embargo, 86 year old Cuban cigar that was a smooth as cashmere

[IMG]
Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Hardcz

So I got this cigar looks to be a 50-52rg, roughly 6 inches long. Sam says he’ll tell me what it is after…

Well I find out what it is, but haven’t had any reading on it, hell I still don’t remember what it’s called… he said it’s an inexpensive premium… Cool enough for me… we’ll see how it goes..

Cuts well, draws well, it has a medium brown color with smooth leathery wrapper. There are slight pepper notes, this cigar is pretty smooth, it has a good tobacco flavor, nothing that’s wowing me though nothing that’s putting me off. As I smoke it, the pepper is building, though at a nice smooth pace. I don’t like pepper cigars usually, so I’m a pansy, to give you reference…

Oh and what am I drinking… an Arnold Palmer fresh from the gas station. I’m sitting in my truck at work waiting for the Dell guy to come replace a hard drive… yea it’s 9:30 at night. Just ate 4 peanut butter bars from Brian imthegoal…yummy bro….

So anyways, it’s about -11 outside…

On the nose exhale there is about a medium amount of what some might call ammonia… I just call it burning… so it’s not a smooth nose exhale, but hell it’s more than some cigars. The after taste lingers with the light pepper flavor the tobacco taste goes pretty quickly, my mouth feels pretty clean otherwise. Also to note, the ash hangs on roughly ¾ of an inch…. I learned that the hard way =)

As I burn past the half way point I’m tasting some slight sweetness, not sugar but something like you’d get out of a fruit, a peppery tobacco fruit.
The burn has been consistant and has required no touch ups. I’m starting to get a light nic buzz something you might get after you drink a 6% beer. The flavor has been the same as well with the pepper building, reminds me of the quality you might get from a griffin or partagas black, I like these as they are always the same for me, though it’s not as smooth as the griffin and not as strong as the partagas.

I’ve noticed roughly a 20-30% exhale through the nose works well after a 70-80% through the mouth. To me this is what I remember a cigar tasting like in Mexico when I picked some up from the old guy on the beach rolling cigars.

As I sit here I’m remembering good things about cigars, and this could be something I’d smoke on a walk, being outside with friends. Nic buzz is getting around medium now, nothing too bad, though it’s like you know you had a drink but it’s not really effecting you. The pepper flavor is coming after the exhale now, when in my mouth it’s more of a sweet mild tobacco flavor with the smoke.

As the stick finishes with an inch before my fingers would start to get hot, the server guys show up with the drive. It’s now -18 outside… I can almost do the boiling water trick, maybe I’ll try it when I get home.

I’ll have to do some reading in what this cigar is, though I would rank it as an above average smoke, it was pleasant, probably would rank easily in the $6-8 category and actually be worth the price. I would and probably will smoke this again.

Overall with 1 being one of those dog rockets Silound has sent me and a 10 being the best cigar I’ve experienced this would rank in at 6.5/10.

Thanks Sam
Old 01-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #8
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Steve (fissure), Charlie (alley oop) and our soon to be CA inmate enjoying the Casa Magna blind taste

Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Soon to be CA Inmates enjoying the Casa Magna Blind Taste

Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Hey? Where are the other reviews???
Old 01-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry for the delay Sam.

I believe I was given the toro size, about 6 x 50. It has a nice oily dark wrapper, but not black or died. The pre-light draw was good with a slight amount of resistance. Upon lighting, this cigar began smooth, mild, and slightly woody. After about 1 inch, the flavors really begin show themselves. Like many greats, at first there are only hints, and the longer you smoke the more pronounced each flavor becomes. The smoothness of this cigar cannot be overlooked. Even near the end when the smoke temperature is higher and the pepper is in full effect, there is no hint of harshness. Similar to many CC's in that way, but of course lacking that signiture CC flavor. Not to slight this great smoke, it has no shortage of flavor.

I can't thank you enough Sam for letting me try this great smoke for free!!!

Thanks again,
Mike
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Sorry for the delay Sam.

I believe I was given the toro size, about 6 x 50. It has a nice oily dark wrapper, but not black or died. The pre-light draw was good with a slight amount of resistance. Upon lighting, this cigar began smooth, mild, and slightly woody. After about 1 inch, the flavors really begin show themselves. Like many greats, at first there are only hints, and the longer you smoke the more pronounced each flavor becomes. The smoothness of this cigar cannot be overlooked. Even near the end when the smoke temperature is higher and the pepper is in full effect, there is no hint of harshness. Similar to many CC's in that way, but of course lacking that signiture CC flavor. Not to slight this great smoke, it has no shortage of flavor.

I can't thank you enough Sam for letting me try this great smoke for free!!!

Thanks again,
Mike
Nicely done Mike! I'm just glad you didn't burn your fingers on the nub!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

I wasn't part of the blind taste test on this one, but I did smoke a corona gorda or similar size yesterday that I got two days ago from the cigar shop.

I should have let it sit longer as it went out several times, although the burn was straight when it was burning. I never put it in my humidor, so it was technically dry boxed for an entire day before smoking, but it was still too wet.

Flavor-wise it was pretty good. Almost like a pepin smoke with less twang and not much spice at all. There was just the tiniest bit of cuban twang to it, but there is no way I'd mistake this for a cuban as many pepin cigars are. I only compare it to a pepin because of the amount of flavor in the cigar. It's was almost like a pepin mixed with a padron or something like that.

I can see why it was rated highly, and why when they considered the cost it was rated very highly, but there is no way I can agree with it being a top 5, let alone the best of '08 from the one I had, even without the burn problems.

I'd advise everyone to give it a try. It's pretty good.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Smoking a robusto right now.

First let me say that Nestor Plasencia is my favorite NC cigar maker. He does make some duds, but he also makes many of my favorite cigars. The Reserva Organica line, the Indian Tabacs, and SEVERAL low priced smokes that I enjoy every day.

That said...the Casa Magna robusto is...meh. It's a good smoke, but #1 cigar of 2008? Nah...

Starts out kinda mild, nice flavor and aroma but nothing that really grabs me. Kind of woodsy and sweet through the nose. Definitely not a "strong" cigar, doesn't have the spice that you come to expect from a Nicaraguan cigar.

About 1/3 in, some nice flavor changes, a toasty nut flavor with a buttery finish.

Getting a little harsh around halfway. Gonna pitch it. I have 1 more, will let it sit for a while and try again.

#1 cigar of 2008? Nope.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #15
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Casa Magna BTT at Detroit Herf

I believe that I was given the 6"X60 RG stick to do the blind taste test on. I had an impression of a super-long NUB. I'm glad I had my large cutter with me so I clipped the end and toasted the foot, enjoying the smell of the smoke coming up from the cigar.

Initial impression was a smooth draw and a slight peppery taste. The cigar was well built with a very nice oily wrapper. As I smoked, the ash just hung on for about 1-1/2" before I tapped it into the Stinky. The smoke started to mellow out, and went perfectly with my Macllallans 12 year old single malt. The taste stayed relatively mellow and smooth creamy smoke, through the first 2/3rds of the stick.

The last 1/3rd started to produce a very mild peppery taste again which seemed to build as the burn progressed.

I really enjoyed this cigar; I didn't know anything about it's rating or it's components, but I would definately buy more - but probably in the robusto size, which is more to my taste.

Thanks, Sam for the opportunity to try this cigar and to try my hand at writing a review - such as it is!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
auburnfan1980

This cigar tasted like a bit of green tea mixed with dirt. Yeah...a whole lot of dirt. Sorry to play the role of Debbie Downer, but I was not at all impressed with this stick. I defended Aficionado's Top 25 last year amongst much criticism, but IMHO the selection of this stick as #1, much less in the top sticks of 2008 altogether causes them to lose a little credibility in my eyes.

Jason
Old 01-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #17
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnfan1980 View Post
This cigar tasted like a bit of green tea mixed with dirt. Yeah...a whole lot of dirt. Sorry to play the role of Debbie Downer, but I was not at all impressed with this stick. I defended Aficionado's Top 25 last year amongst much criticism, but IMHO the selection of this stick as #1, much less in the top sticks of 2008 altogether causes them to lose a little credibility in my eyes.

Jason
You should try another Jason.... sounds like you had a bad one.... I don't believe it deserves #1 though don't believe it's a crap stick either.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #18
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley00p View Post
I believe that I was given the 6"X60 RG stick to do the blind taste test on. I had an impression of a super-long NUB. I'm glad I had my large cutter with me so I clipped the end and toasted the foot, enjoying the smell of the smoke coming up from the cigar.

Initial impression was a smooth draw and a slight peppery taste. The cigar was well built with a very nice oily wrapper. As I smoked, the ash just hung on for about 1-1/2" before I tapped it into the Stinky. The smoke started to mellow out, and went perfectly with my Macllallans 12 year old single malt. The taste stayed relatively mellow and smooth creamy smoke, through the first 2/3rds of the stick.

The last 1/3rd started to produce a very mild peppery taste again which seemed to build as the burn progressed.

I really enjoyed this cigar; I didn't know anything about it's rating or it's components, but I would definately buy more - but probably in the robusto size, which is more to my taste.

Thanks, Sam for the opportunity to try this cigar and to try my hand at writing a review - such as it is!

Nice job, I would have handed out all robustos but I wanted to see what we came up with from the 3 different sizes they had available. General concensus was that it is a godd cigar and you can't beat the price point.

Smoke 'em if ya' got 'em!