Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
xerais
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Matt
Trading: (0)
xerais is on a distinguished road
Default Had my first experience with Tunneling on a T52.

It was a pretty disappointing way to end my evening. I knew something was wrong a couple of minutes after lighting the cigar. Barely any smoke production, draw was horrible, but the foot of the cigar looked even and fully lit. I let the cigar go out and then clipped off the foot. The very center was totally black and burned a good two inches down. I re-cut it down, re-lit, and unfortunately experienced the same thing.

I know rollers aren't perfect, but this is the first higher end cigar I've had problems with since I got back into smoking on a regular basis. Honestly I think the last cigar I had a tunneling issue with was an Oliva V lancero five years ago.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what specifically causes this kind of burn problem?
xerais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice
Default Re: Had my first experience with Tunneling on a T52.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerais View Post
It was a pretty disappointing way to end my evening. I knew something was wrong a couple of minutes after lighting the cigar. Barely any smoke production, draw was horrible, but the foot of the cigar looked even and fully lit. I let the cigar go out and then clipped off the foot. The very center was totally black and burned a good two inches down. I re-cut it down, re-lit, and unfortunately experienced the same thing.

I know rollers aren't perfect, but this is the first higher end cigar I've had problems with since I got back into smoking on a regular basis. Honestly I think the last cigar I had a tunneling issue with was an Oliva V lancero five years ago.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what specifically causes this kind of burn problem?
I've opened them up before and it's just a hole right down the cigar, usually the center, where the cigar leaves did not appear tightly rolled. I also had a couple of T52's do this but, so far, only experienced it once with a No. 9 and it wasn't bad enough to not recover. It sucks to pay that much for a stick and have that happen.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Ubiquitous
Living life at top speed

First Name: Travis
Trading: (6)
Montecristo CoastGuard (Active)
Ubiquitous is on a distinguished road

I have had a few sticks do this. If you notice it early, lay some flame to the wrapper and you're set! Most recently it was a UF-13. Luckily I fixed it.

Honestly, I think it's usually user error by not toastig the foot well enough to get the wrapper to burn.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
xerais
Just in from the Storm

Was definitely loose in the center. If I held my fingers on the cigar really tight it would draw. Stopped the second I released pressure. Crap happens.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Maybe over humidified?
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

I know what he speaks of. It's not the way you light it nor is it humidity. It's definitely a rolling issue. There is literally a hole running through the cigar.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Tunneling can be an indicator of humidity issues.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
xerais
Just in from the Storm

I don't think it was a humidification issue. It was the fifth one I've smoked from the same box in my humidor. I use HCM beads and remain at a steady 65% humidity. The other four were perfect which was why I was so disappointed.

I'm guessing that cigars can become over humidified around the wrapper? That would cause the center to burn quicker right? I just don't see how that would be the case in this situation.

Also the burn was completely even. I toasted the foot like I always do, took a few puffs and noticed very little smoke on the draw. I let it go out and then cut it again, and saw the black char in the very center. I cut that down and then re-lit it again. Same thing happened.

Was getting no smoke on draw and it just burned right down the center of the cigar.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
xerais
Just in from the Storm

In other news: I smoked a No. 9 earlier tonight and it was delicious!

I'm just hoping it will be a while before I run into another dud as I hate wasting money.