Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #61
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road
Default Re: On the eve of Schip, any boycotters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafandale View Post
No. Like someone in an earlier post stated; The tax increase is at the manufacturer level and is in effect on all shipments of cigars imported (or produced as is the case for US based makers such as Don Pepin) into the US on or after April 1. So, several cigar makers are not raising their prices until their current stock is depleted and new shipments arrive from their factories. Others have elected to raise prices on April 1. Others, such as Drew Estate, elected to raise theirs in the middle of March.

So retailers who have inventory on hand at the old price would theoretically continue to offer the old price to their customers UNTIL such a time as they receive new orders that they placed AFTER April 1.

Bottom Line: When we get a shipment in and the invoice reflects a NEW, higher price as a result of SCHIP, we will then adjust our price accordingly... and not before.

Final Note: You will notice prices going up considerably higher than the .40 cents everyone it talking about. A few reasons are added state tobacco taxes, retailer margins (we gotta pay the bills), and PRICE INCREASES THAT ARE NOT A PART OF SCHIP BY SOME CIGAR MAKERS. I won't mention any names here, but one VERY popular cigar maker has also added a price increase on their entire line IN ADDITION to the SCHIP tax.

So you will see a wide range of price increases on different brands. Tatuaje and Esencia are the only two that I know of that have elected to absorb the entire tax increase... at least for this year.

This is the B&M that helped me stock up the most. Thanks, Mike! Good to hear about Tatuaje -- I had already hearda bout Esencia. But, I bought a box of Esencia PC's and Tat Unicos at your store in February . . . so I guess I missed their generosity.

This is a GREAT store, if you ever find yourselves in Knoxville.
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #62
jamesb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
I think if you boycott all you will do is hurt the people trying to run their business especially the small mom & pop B&M's.
You are spot on here Ryan. I will continue to smoke my cigars and support my B&M! 'Specially since I work there!
Old 04-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #63
oldforge
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
oldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura about

I received an email from one (fairly obscure) vendor that claimed it was Oliva who raised their prices and added a SCHIP markup. The vendor said because of that they were no longer going to carry their bundles.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this information so take it for whatever it is worth.
oldforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #64
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

Nope, not me.. In fact, I have been buying more.. Almost all of which are from my local B&M. Yes, I pay more than I would if I ordered online, (I live in CA, and the taxes sucked before the hike, and now they suck more) but I feel like I am doing a small part to keep my local shop owner in business and I love it there.

Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #65
Cigary

I will still buy but will ensure that I buy when pricing is right. I use C Bid and know what I like and will get deals where available.