Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: On the eve of Schip, any boycotters?

I though this was a current stock tax also. Not only are they going to hit the vendors new puchases but also tax what they have already purchased and placed into stock.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #22
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
I think if you boycott all you will do is hurt the people trying to run their business especially the small mom & pop B&M's.

Wise words my friend. One wouldn't affect our goverment in any way by boycotting cigars, only hard-working Americans who took the chance to live a dream by starting their own business.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
ChasDen

Quote:
I though this was a current stock tax also. Not only are they going to hit the vendors new puchases but also tax what they have already purchased and placed into stock.
Nope the floor tax got removed from the final version.

Its my bet most stores will just raise everything tonight.

One store I was in today buying opus was having everyone working after close tonight, I assume to change prices

Chas
Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 PM   #24
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasDen View Post

Its my bet most stores will just raise everything tonight.

One store I was in today buying opus was having everyone working after close tonight, I assume to change prices

Chas

Where I work we are not raising prices until we see it on the invoices. I dig my boss for doing that. We have received a couple of orders this week and haven't increased the price one penny.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #25
ChasDen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Where I work we are not raising prices until we see it on the invoices. I dig my boss for doing that. We have received a couple of orders this week and haven't increased the price one penny.

ME too

That's the way it should be!

Thank him from me.

Chas
Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #26
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The tax is filtering down from the manufacturer, they are getting taxed on the stock they are selling, which in turn means higher prices for the B+M's and higher prices we have to pay for our cigars. The only ones getting directly taxed are the manufacturers when they sell their product and the rest just see the trickle down of said tax. Atleast thats how it was explained to me.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #27
bookman

The more I think about it the more I think I'll probably stop shopping online and solely support my B&M.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #28
ECPrevatte
Baylor University

First Name: Eric
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
ECPrevatte is on a distinguished road

This is actually a big April Fool's joke. Government is winning too.
ECPrevatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #29
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
I think if you boycott all you will do is hurt the people trying to run their business especially the small mom & pop B&M's.
I will still buy... just not as much or as often.

But it does make me angry.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #30
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman View Post
The more I think about it the more I think I'll probably stop shopping online and solely support my B&M.
+1 for the local B&M's
Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 PM   #31
Beer Doctor

Quote:
The problem with that is everyone down the line uses this as a way to add their cut.

My wife smokes cigarettes. Here they have already went up over a buck a pack since the bill passed and the tax has not even been added yet. So the announced $1 a pack will actually be $2 a pack once everyone gets their cut. Cigars may not be that bad but we will just have to wait and see.

Chas
I agree. I'm not saying I like the tax but I'm not going to stop buying cigars because of it. I hated paying 3 bucks a gallon for gas but I did. Luckily I found the dark side and will probably concentrate my online buying to that. Ironically I'll be going to my B&M much more now in spite of SCHIP because of all the smoking bans here in WI. I'll be there tomorrow and we'll see if they raised prices o/n.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #32
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road

Stocked up quite a bit over the last several months. I hope that my contributions to the B&M's (exclusively purchased from my favorite stores) will carry them for a while. I probably have enough to last to the next election.

I am sure, however that I will buy more when the next shipment of Opus X arrive, or in the summer when the Anejo's arrive. I'm weak.
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 PM   #33
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Doctor View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am). The cap is 40 cents per cigar. So If you buy a box of 20 cigars. The price will increase 8 bucks. A 100 dollar box will be 108 and a 500 dollar box will be 508. Meh. I'll still buy cigars. It sucks but I'll still buy.
I just wish I had your cigar budget!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:16 PM   #34
The Saint

Its not a real big deal on the cigars that sell for say 60, 80, 100+. But the days of cheap yardgars may be a thing of the past. I know I won't spend $30 on say a bundle of mixed filler cigars(that was around 20 bucks before the BS-chip), I'd rather spend $20 bucks more on something else. But, more than likely I'll just buy less quanity and more quality and try to curb my 5-6 a day down to 2-3.......there is always going the CC route. Besides, with the new taxes CC's are in most cases going to be cheaper the NC's.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:22 PM   #35
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
I will still buy... just not as much or as often.

But it does make me angry.

+1

I buy the majority of my sticks at local B&M's anyway... any online ordering will go towards the "dark side"

Old 03-31-2009, 11:23 PM   #36
GWags

Ciggy smokers are getting slammed in the arse!! All this tax has done for me is to expand my horizons to non taxed cigars. I'll still buy cigars from my B&M but I'm now sharing that budget with tax free purchases. I think it's safe to assume the tobacco tax will only go one way from here - this is just begining. Kinda like arse wipe - we'll keep buying it......for now.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:30 PM   #37
GWags

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Integrity is a mf'er - once you lose it, it's gone. Your boss has his, no question!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #38
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
Yes I'm going strictly CC now.
this is my plan too. although I will probably make a point now to stop in to the friendly neighborhood B&M for singles, just to show my support for the little guy. They're the ones really feeling the pain from all this.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #39
adampc22

i hate taxes the tax on cigars we have a 360% tobacco tax. u guys in america can get cc's about 3 times cheaper than i can legaly here lol funny that aint it

Last edited by adampc22; 04-01-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #40
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

When I last talked to the owner of my local B&M (about a month ago) he was in the process of ordering as many boxes of cigars as he could afford and had storage space for. Since there is no floor tax, he is not raising his prices until he goes through his stock so we shouldn't see a price increase for a couple of months and then the price will only goes up as necessary to cover his increase cost.

He's a good man.