Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough
Default Craft beers for a restaurant

For the beer aficionados...I am changing the beer menu in the restaurant and was wondering if you guys could give me a handful of names that I could look into. I'd like to get names from Alaska, Nantucket, someplace in the mid-west (preferably Wyoming), and maybe NorCal. Any tasting notes you could offer from personal experience would be highly appreciated! Please see the following for further specifics:
- No IPA
- cult, not well known nation-wide
- if it is a bright beer, it should be refreshing but not sweet
- if it is a dark beer, it shouldn't be too smoky or too syrupy

Thank you guys
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: Craft beers for a restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
For the beer aficionados...I am changing the beer menu in the restaurant and was wondering if you guys could give me a handful of names that I could look into. I'd like to get names from Alaska, Nantucket, someplace in the mid-west (preferably Wyoming), and maybe NorCal. Any tasting notes you could offer from personal experience would be highly appreciated! Please see the following for further specifics:
- No IPA
- cult, not well known nation-wide
- if it is a bright beer, it should be refreshing but not sweet
- if it is a dark beer, it shouldn't be too smoky or too syrupy

Thank you guys
Why you are looking at Alaska, Nantucket, Wyoming and NorCal?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Moose Drool Brown Ale. Big Sky Brewing Co. Montana. I had this beer several times late last year on a trip to Glacier Nat. Park. I think this fits the bill on what you are looking for in a darker beer. NOT heavy smoky, at all. Good nutty flavor, more hints of sweet than sweet in itself. My wife is NOT a beer fan, but she was all over this beer. NOT a hoppy beer, which is a plus from my standpoint! They also have a number of other brews taht are highly praised, but this is the only one I've had.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
mk05
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Why you are looking at Alaska, Nantucket, Wyoming and NorCal?
Its what people around here would consider "exotic" or "out of ordinary."
Old 07-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

San Diego should not be overlooked.
Absolute heaven for craft beers.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
mk05
Have My Own Room

I'm really looking to hear opinions on any local breweries, as long as you are passionate about it, and it's excellent. Peter, what do you recommend from San Diego?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

What exactly are you looking for? You want to change up your beers but then you put all the exclusions in there. With all the no's you might as well stick with the big box beers.
Posted via Mobile Device
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

I have only had a couple but they have been good http://www.alaskanbeer.com/home.html

Not sure on Wyoming but maybe check out Avery http://averybrewing.com/ or Avalanche http://www.avalanchebrewing.com/ in Colorado or Nebraska Brewing Company http://www.nebraskabrewingco.com/main.asp

You might also look at New Brew Thursday (Video podcast) for more ideas.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

forgot, another one from Kansas http://www.tallgrassbeer.com/ 8-bit and Buffalo Sweat are regulars around my house.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
mk05
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
forgot, another one from Kansas http://www.tallgrassbeer.com/ 8-bit and Buffalo Sweat are regulars around my house.
Thanks, I'll look into those. Any personal tasting notes?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Tallgraas is excellent.

The one Brewery i would recommend, you probably wouldn't be able to get anyways. Surly. AMAZING beers, but if you don't live in or near MN, then you'd have to drive here to get it. Same thing with a second brewery, but it's in Wisconsin: New Glarus.

Those are two not-so-hidden gems that hit home runs time and time again. Surly Furious is on tap at my favorite local watering holes/restaurants/music venues, and sells VERY well.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
pnoon
YNWA

Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
I'm really looking to hear opinions on any local breweries, as long as you are passionate about it, and it's excellent. Peter, what do you recommend from San Diego?
The 4 bigger breweries that you might have access to are Stone, Ballast Point, Green Flash and Alesmith.

There are way too many smaller ones to recommend. I have no idea what you have access to. If you run across something from San Diego, feel free to PM me to inquire.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

These are going to be East coast Brew houses but I'm here to tell you that Victory, and Stoudts are both top Notch and they make some great craft beer!

http://www.victorybeer.com/
http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/
Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Here is a list of all the recognized styles of beer. If you click on each listing, it will give you a list of the top beers in that style. This should help you find the best beers for your restaurant. Remember, though, that not all beers are available in all areas. So you should also talk to your local distributors to see what they carry that will meet the needs of your business.

For example, in the American Pale Wheat style, the number one beer is Little Sumpin' Sumpin' ale, and is brewed by Lagunitas, in Laginitas California, and may well be available to your distributors. The number two beer is Oberon ale, and is brewed by Bells in Grand Rapids Michigan, and may not be available to your distributors.

At times like this your distributors will be your best guide to what they can offer outside of the "normal" beers for your area.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
organgrinder
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Chris
Trading: (1)
Punch Navy (Served With Honor)
organgrinder is on a distinguished road

From Milwaukee:

Lakefront Brewery
New Glarus Brewing Co

Both excellent medium sized breweries
Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

West Sixth Brewery in Lexington, KY is producing some PHENOMENAL beer. My favorite is the Amber Ale. It is a hit here in KY and growing by the day.

http://www.westsixth.com/amber/
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Marc... I forgot about a great beer, and it IS Wyoming based! Blacktooth Brewing Co. in Sheridan, WY. I spent several months in Sheridan with my wife last fall, and had several of their offerings. Pretty much every eatery and bar in town carried their brews, and they had their own restaurant at the brewhouse, so I drank their beer many times (and think I tried all their offering except the IPAs). All I had were excellent. And they have won a crapload of awards. It's been long enough I can't give detailed tasting notes for every one of of them, but I can tell you the ones I had were not hoppy (mainly because I don't like heavy hops beer). Their "Wagon Box Wheat" was my first choice, but I love wheat beers, so that's a given! It had citrus hints, but not a strong yeast presence!! I'm also a Irish Red Beer fan, and enjoyed their take on the Irish Red called "Bomber Mountain Amber". This was mildly hoppy, with some sweet, maybe a little hint of cinnamon or nutmeg (at least to me). Their stout, Stumpy Ridge Stout, was just what you'd expect from a stout, chocolate, coffee hints, thick and chewy, but had a noticeable (but still enjoyable) hoppy finish that helped cut the thickness back on the finish. I don't know where they will ship to, they have a fairly complete web site.

The earlier one I recommended from Big Sky Brewing.... I found Moose Drool in Wyoming and Montana, and believe they ship/sell over a fairly wide market. I don't think Blacktooth has near the market coverage as Big Sky.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by organgrinder View Post
From Milwaukee:

Lakefront Brewery
New Glarus Brewing Co

Both excellent medium sized breweries
New Glarus doesn't ship outside of Wisconsin. I wish they did, I love their beers. I always get some when I go to WI to go fishing.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
mk05
Have My Own Room

Thanks guys, very much appreciate the thoughtful local feedback so far. I'll do research on the recommended brews.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

no IPA ????

i would imagine that with distribution the way it is you'd be better off posting the list of what you can actually get and then asking which ones people like, instead of getting suggestions of a bunch of stuff you likely can't get...