Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2021, 06:46 AM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default AT&T VS Verizon

Hey Brothers. My wife and I have had AT&T wireless for almost 20 years. It was actually Cingular when we started.

We live in a rural area where there is absolutely no service at my home from any carrier. Before wifi calling we had to use a microcell from AT&T to have service at home, and we still have a landline because if the internet is down then you don't have cell phone service.

I am not sure why but over the last several years it seems as is the service in our area had degraded and continues to degrade, calling and complaining does no good. AT&T has almost complete outages once every couple of months that lasts from a day to several days.

I have friends that use Verizon and have always claimed it's better than AT&T. So yesterday I made the switch.

Mistake? Good move? Just wondering what experience some of you have had with maybe switching from one to the other. Thanks.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:18 AM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: AT&T VS Verizon

Greg: We've Had ATT For 40 Years. Good & Bad With Many Outages During Rainy Weather. I Think It Depends On Where You Live. My SIL Was Upset About ATT Service In Atlanta. Switched To Verizon. Works Great In Atlanta, But Very Spotty Service In Mobile. I Guess My Recommendation Is Try It And See.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Verizon is the best in Cincinnati. Hopefully it works where you are as well.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Haven't had any problems with Verizon, even when the power was out after a hurricane.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #5
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

thanks for the input. I know that AT&T told me they have a lot of 3g and 4g towers that are degraded in the area, but I reckon they are more intent upon getting their fake 5g going than making sure customers can use the phones now. They did put in a tower that is 9 miles away from my home as the crow flies but still doesn't reach my house, which isn't a deal killer because neither does Verizon. But Verizon has applied for and gotten permission and or permits to put a tower about 4 miles from my house and that may make a difference if they ever actually put it up.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
Buckeye Jack
Havana Daydreamin'

First Name: Jack
Trading: (34)
HUpmann
Buckeye Jack has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye Jack has a spectacular aura about

Having dealt with cellular devices in my job and in my personal life for the last 20 years, it all comes down to what works best in your area. I personally have had AT&T most of my cellular life and I have never had issues. I am also in a major metropolitan area. I know my phone doesn't work some places that Verizon does....I also know my phone works some places Verizon doesn't. There is no perfect answer. You just need to pick the best one for you. I know people who live and die by Sprint where as I have had the worst luck with Sprint.

You made the right move in trying Verizon if AT&T is getting worse. There are all kinds of factors when it comes the cellular service getting worse. Hope it works out for you.
Buckeye Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:37 AM   #7
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack View Post
Having dealt with cellular devices in my job and in my personal life for the last 20 years, it all comes down to what works best in your area. I personally have had AT&T most of my cellular life and I have never had issues. I am also in a major metropolitan area. I know my phone doesn't work some places that Verizon does....I also know my phone works some places Verizon doesn't. There is no perfect answer. You just need to pick the best one for you. I know people who live and die by Sprint where as I have had the worst luck with Sprint.

You made the right move in trying Verizon if AT&T is getting worse. There are all kinds of factors when it comes the cellular service getting worse. Hope it works out for you.
That's probably the best advice. I read HOFO all the time and other forums, also Facebook page and user forums for AT&T and I see gripes about them all from some and others say they are great. No cookie cutter deal on any of them. Gonna give Verizon a change for a couple years at least. I am seeing one thing that may be a plus, with AT&T using the wifi calling was pretty good but it just drops calls with no warning, not regular enough to make it unusable but pretty frequent. I am reading that Verizon seems to work a little better on wifi calling than AT&T, but I will have to give it some time to be able to tell for myself. I would suspect since I have a pretty big wifi network covering about 6 acres, that it could be more a problem of roaming between APs rather than the carrier.