Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default La Vieja Habana - The Early Years - Silencio

Sometime last year I asked a very knowldegeable cigar smoker to put together a large sampler for me, of all types of cigars; various makes, nationalities, tobaccos; the good, bad, and ugly. I wanted to develop a broader perspective on different types of cigars. One of the cigars he included was a LVH The Early Years Silencio. Because of it's small size, and because I did the newbie thing of filling a cooler or two rather quickly, this cigar languished in my humi. Last night I had thought to smoke it, but grabbed a Hemingway instead. So tonight I smoked the Silencio.

First of all, this cigar smells great, and has a nice earthy pre-light draw. It's a small cigar, 4" x 46rg, and has a dark maduro, almost oscuro wrapper. Also, I think the band is pretty cool looking.

When I light the cigar I get pretty strong peppery spice, with an underlying sweetness. Very smooth too. Even though it's so peppery, I can snork it without blowing my eyeballs out.

The first inch remains pretty spicy, but then the cigar becomes very chocolatey. Like really good hot chocolate, Ghiradelli or something similar. This little cigar is really suprising me.

The third inch became rich and earthy, reminding me of the smell of good loam. The spice is returning too, but not all "up front" like the first inch. It's more of a strong background flavor.

The final inch was more spicy, but the cigar also became hot. I smoked it down to about 3/4 inch and then tossed it.

This cigar rocked. If it had a DPG label on it they'd sell like crazy for $5.00. But with the LVH label, they only sell for about $1.70 per stick, which is a crazy good value for a stick this good. This stick gets the BlackDog seal of approval.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: La Vieja Habana - The Early Years - Silencio

Good review. I used to smoke alot of these and still have a handful of the original blend. May have to go digging.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

This was my go-to short cigar when I first started smoking hand rolled cigars..definitely a nice value.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Cigary

Just discovered this line about 4 months ago while winning some auctions on CBID. I have been looking for good inexpensive cigars to smoke so I wasn't going thru all of my premiums so quickly,,,,this cigar is a really good one and if they did have a Pepin Label on it as the one brother commented about they would be going for 3 x more than what they do. It pays to broaden your horizons and try new cigars,,,you never know what you will find.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

I agree. Used to be a go to short smoke for me too. I might have to revisit it one day. Thanks for the review!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
yitlin

I'll have to track some down, thank you for the heads up!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

The Early Years are a great smoke, very underrated.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I really liked the original release - not so much the current production.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote