Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default Illusione M7

Cigar: Illusione M7
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo Rosado
Binder: Nicaraguan double
Filler: Nicaraguan Corojo and I think some Criollo
Size: 6.5x58 Diademas but seems more like a Salomone to me.
Price: Stolen from the "herf box". About $160 for a box of 12 online.

Setting: In the sun room, about 5:30pm, 65 degrees out, drinking a snapple.

Pre-light: The cigar has a very attractive Salomone figurado shape to it. The wrapper is a beautiful colorado color with small to medium veins and a nice oily sheen. The cigar is solidly rolled with just one soft spot just below the band. The cigar has a nice sweet smell to it with a hint of spice as I smelled the foot. The prelight draw was a tad tight but should open up once the nipple tip is lit. The unlit taste was of sweet tobacco and a walnut taste.

First third: The cigar lit up quickly and the initial flavors were very woody, sort of oaky and earthy. The draw for the first few puffs has been tight, but I'm gonna let it go for awhile to see if it opens up as the foot burns. There are some leather undercurrents that are nice, but the finish is really dry. Well, maybe it's not a leather flavor but my tongue feeling like leather. There is a small bit of spice, but just a tad. Well, about half and inch in I decide to clip another couple mms off the cap and the draw is working much better. The flavors are working well so far but the dryness on the finish is really bothering me. The burn has followed a vein leaving it a bit uneven. I'm gonna give it some more time and see if it evens itself out. Smoke production is a tad thin for my tastes though I'm hoping it will pick up as the stick burns down.

Second third: Well, smoke production has started to pick up, and the dryness is starting to fade, but a harshness is starting to come in at the back of the throat. The ash dropped at the 2 inch mark, leaving a little tower of ligero.As the dryness fades I'm noticing a bitter cocoa flavor in the tongue, not sure if it just developed or if I couldn't taste it through the dryness. It's really nice though. The sweetness I tasted on the prelight is starting to come through too. The burn continues to be uneven and chasing the vein, but hasn't required another correction. The burn line is a tad thick but I'd expect that with the double binder and thick wrapper. Smoke production is great now and the body is in the medium to full range. Not feeling much in the term of strength so far, and I haven't eaten in awhile. The flavors are still pretty good, but not stellar. Even though the finish isn't as dry, the my tongue is still a bit irritated. The ash appears loose but holds well. Well, until it dropped in my lap at about the inch and a half mark.

Final third: As I start the final third the spice and woody flavors are really picking up. There is still the harshness which is annoying and kinda bums me out cause I really want to like this cigar. The burn has evened out and the draw is great. I'm hitting the final third about an hour in, the burn rate seems nice. The smoke is nice and thick making for good smoke rings. The smoke pretty much continued the same to the end.

Final thoughts: Well, I must say I'm dissapointed. I'm a big fan of Illusiones and especially the No. 2 and the cg4. But the harshness that this one presented throughout really killed any of the good flavors I was getting. It's a shame, I was trying to enjoy it but kept thinking of the same harshness I got from the Free Cuba. I don't think I'd buy one of these but wouldn't mind trying one with some time and seeing if that took care of the harsh stuff. For the price I was expecting a lot more.

Like it: No, but as this is the only one I've had I'd probably give it another shot to be fair.
Buy again: Well, didn't buy this one but don't think I would even if I liked it. I love the Illusiones but they are way pricey for me.
Reccommend: Don't think I would, but the flavors were good and maybe I just got a bad stick.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Illusione M7

I'm just a little curious Steve why you selected the Snapple over a Barg's for this review I say give the M7 another shot and pair it with a Barg's

Thanks for the great review as usual and photographs
Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Hey Steve, Sorry you didn't like this one!!!

I have yet to try the M7! I wonder if the vitola has much to do with the harshness???

Nice review anyway!!!

Thanks!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
ChicagoWhiteSox

Thanks for the review steve, good pics as always
Old 03-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Thanks for the review steve, good pics as always
Thanks for taking the time.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Homebrewer
Love'm Tatuaje

Trading: (9)
Homebrewer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. Sometimes a reviewer just has to be honest. The cigar didn't live up to the hype.
Homebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

I have to say I'm a huge fan of illusione but I didn't care for this one either, just something off about it.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Waynegro1

Thanks for the review and great pictures as usual. Keep it up!!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
vudu9
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
vudu9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitzy View Post
I have to say I'm a huge fan of illusione but I didn't care for this one either, just something off about it.
You heard it here first;

For 2009, I'm discontinuing/replacing the M7 with a new cigar called the mj12. It's a 6x54 - a paralell that's much more retail and price-friendly. I should have them in sometime in April. Thanks for the review!
vudu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudu9 View Post
You heard it here first;

For 2009, I'm discontinuing/replacing the M7 with a new cigar called the mj12. It's a 6x54 - a paralell that's much more retail and price-friendly. I should have them in sometime in April. Thanks for the review!
Thanks Dion but I actually did hear about the new one allready and am looking forward to it
Old 03-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Sweet, I'm looking forward to the new stick.

Now if you could just make the Cruzado Marelas a little more budget friendly... Man, that is one awesome smoke, very near the best I had last year.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Nice review, thanks!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudu9 View Post
You heard it here first;

The mj12 is phenomenal. I smoked one while fasting and it left my palate fresh, great long finish, delicious smooth, furry(?) wrapper, great flavors. Smoked another after I ate, phenomenal smoke!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHagen View Post
The mj12 is phenomenal. I smoked one while fasting and it left my palate fresh, great long finish, delicious smooth, furry(?) wrapper, great flavors. Smoked another after I ate, phenomenal smoke!
You smoked a cigar that size while fasting? You are a manlier man than I. That would totally make me
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

Nice review! Have to say, the only Illusione I don't like is the cruzado line.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #16
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
You smoked a cigar that size while fasting? You are a manlier man than I. That would totally make me

I usually smoke a cigar on Jewish fast days (except Yom Kippur). I really don't mind fasting so much.
They quench the appetite, relax me and give a little pick-me-up, a stimulant similiar to a coffee. I make it a point to only smoke something I know I will enjoy (high quality), and will leave me with a good flavor and nice finish on the palate. The mj12 was perfect. I had it during a fundraising meeting in a cigar lounge. Illusiones definitely leave the palate fresh, and Dino actually references that when he creates a blend it should cover the whole palate with flavor, so you don't have to take a drink. I also like Padrons for this purpose.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #17
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Nice review and pics Steve! Did you get a chance to try the mj12 out yet? If not, give that a try, I think you would enjoy it.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
Wanger

Had an MJ12 this past weekend as a celebratory stick for finishing my first triathlon. VERY good stick. Loads of smoke and a smooth smoke with a nice clean burn. Flavor was reminiscent of roasted nuts, but I wasn't concentrating on the flavor fo the smoke and had consumed a few adult beverages.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #19
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Very nice review Steve. And as always, very nice pics.
I have found a liking for the 68 and the CG4. I didnt care as much for the larger R.G'.s
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #20
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Very nice review Steve. And as always, very nice pics.
I have found a liking for the 68 and the CG4. I didnt care as much for the larger R.G'.s
Agreed. Larger RG in Illusiones are not as good - until I had the mj12.