Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
ZachF88
Feeling at Home

First Name: Zach
Trading: (32)
ZachF88 is on a distinguished road
Default Illusione Ultra = Ultra bad!

So, my brother gifted me an Illusione Ultra corona a few weeks back. I have never had an Illusione before, so I thought I would fire this sucker up. I cut it and then took a puff before I lit it and it was really tuff. So I go get a spearand try to poke it through to loosen up the knot in it. I had to put soo much force into getting the spear that it ended up bending and creating a hole in the wrapper. I figure, what the hell, I'll go ahead and try to light it. No luck! So I snip off the damaged wrapper part and try lighting it again. Still no dice! The draw was soo tight, I felt like I was puffing on a candle stick. Since it is unsmokable (and now that a $9 cigar is going straight to the trash), I take my exacto knife to it. Not only was the last third way to tightly rolled, but there were THREE loose twigs in there, each about 2-3 inches long and 2mm or so in diameter. Now I was really looking forward to smoking tonight, since I haven't had a cigar in 2.5 weeks. Thank you Illusione for ruining my night! I have four other Illusione cigars in my humidor that I'm thinking of using as compost!

/Rant!

So, what do you guys do in this situation? I can't take it back to the shop, since it's in another state and it was purchased like a month ago. I'm just really upset by this. I've smoked plugged cigars before, including a lot of plugged CC's, but this one was by far the worst! I took my torch lighter to it for about 3 minutes and couldn't even get the slightest amber on it. I'm really thinking of writing Illusione a letter..... but I doubt that will do anything!

Last edited by ZachF88; 09-02-2011 at 09:46 PM.
ZachF88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Illusione Ultra = Ultra bad!

Sorry to hear this brother. I have smoked a couple of these with no issues. Maybe something to keep an eye out for.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Typically I just calm myself down by grabbing another stick out the ol desktop.

Every cigar company is going to have a couple duds make their way into boxes, try to give them another chance down the road. I tend to never write a company off as producing bad smokes, but thats just me.

Just my .02
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

You could always contact Illusione and see if they will do anything. Worth a try
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
You could always contact Illusione and see if they will do anything. Worth a try
Thats what I would do.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

That'll happen. I've had plugged Illusiones, Partagas, Punch, Cohiba, Montecristo....You name it, they are hand made and so every now and then you'll catch a dud.

I wouldn't let one plugged cigar turn you off of any brand.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Not sure what I would do, as I've smoked dozens & dozens of illusione's over the past few years and never had a problem. Sorry you had a bad experience.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
ZachF88
Feeling at Home

well, I emailed Illusione and I already got a response from them. I am quite impressed that they responded so quickly, but very surprised by what they had to say:

"I'm sorry that my cigar ruined your night. Humans roll cigars and humans aren't
perfect. I hope I can live up to your rigorous standards in the future by making
every single cigar plug-free. Thank you for your comments. They will be passed
along to the factory." ~Dion Giolito

Now, I understand that not every cigar is perfect and there are a few duds in every batch, but this thing had three twigs and was overloaded with tobacco that was too tightly rolled. My letter to Illusione was long, but very nice. I just expressed my concerns, especially with this being such a new cigar and their first batch (don't they want customer feedback?). I have dealt with a few cigar manufacturers before (Padrons, etc) and have had great exeriences compared to this. I am just appalled by Illusione's response! It's people like this that really ruin the cigar experience. I will never buy Illusiones ever again! A simple reply along the lines of "Thank you for expressing your concerns; I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with Illusione; I can assure you that ony a very few of our cigars are duds; blah blah blah," and not what Mr. Giolito responded.

Last edited by ZachF88; 09-02-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

a picture will be great...
Old 09-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

I'm surprised by both the cigar and the response. Years of top notch experience with Illusione here. Maybe you caught him in a bad mood. Not trying to make excuses but Dion had a great rep as far as I know. Please don't write them off, they make great stuff.
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #11
ZachF88
Feeling at Home

I'm really thinking about digging through the trash to collect all the pieces for this one! I really should have snapped a photo with my iPhone, but I was really distraught at the time. I'll see if I feel like digging through the trash tomorrow to snap a photo. A video would have been better to show how the exacto knife had trouble going through certain parts of the cigar (blade all the way in) and how quickly the wrapper burst in the last third (when exacto blade slid on top of the wrapper), since the filler was so tightly wrapped

But one thing I don't get - I've been in business for quite some time. While positive feedback is always great, it's the negative feedback that really matters, since you can get the customer's opinions and wants, and manipulate your product to suite them better. I'm not trying to get a free cigar here. I'm only expressing my concerns, since a $9 cigar is a splurge for some people and I don't want them to go through what I went through tonight.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #12
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I think the response was appropriate!

You got an apology! And were told that he would try harder in the future to communicate with the factory so that the quality will be better.

I personally, have not had a problem with Illusione cigars or their service!

I love their cigars and look forward to smoking an Ultra tomorrow!

If I have the same problem with the one I smoke, I'll report it on this thread!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #13
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

I recently smoked an Epernay, CG4 and 888 and all of them were nothing but fantastic. I understand your upset because the response given wasn't the response expected but as others have said try other Illusione's and see how they are. It seems to me you just got the 1 in a million dud.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #14
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

Like all cigar companies illusione is sure to make a few duds. I think it is unreasonable to expect otherwise. I have been on the receiving end of a plugged padron and a plugged behike 56, even the venerable sir winston can be plugged. The cost of these are far more than $9 and are from far more prestigious factories than tabacleria tropical.
As to Dion's reply, I can see where you thought it might be rude. But do understand that these are indeed products made of organic materials by the hands of humans. There is alot that can go wrong. For a cigar that smokes perfectly every time may I suggest Bances, an OK but inconsistent (flavor wise) machine made from Canada. The fact that he felt the need to say that the factories quality control standards were to be upped was able to be interpreted as snarky yes. However this was most likely true. I hope you have all had a wonderful day if you are just catching this, and if you see this in the morning well good morning to you all.
-Patrick
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #15
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
alfredo_buscatti is on a distinguished road

Two days ago I smoked 4 Oliva O's in a row that had such defects in the draw and the wrapper at the head that I rejected them, but by that time lighting four cigars in a row scorched my mouth.

I took it up with Cigar Place, where I'd purchased them, and by being cogent and insistent I netted a $18.40 refund. Over the past year I've bought ~50 boxes from them, and that's why customer service bent the rules to accommodate me.

Between the 10% sale, $1 shipping and the refund above, I reduced a box of the Ashton VSG churchills from $225.00 to $185.00, buying them in the same transaction.

Do I love this cigar! dark, rich, extra strong.
alfredo_buscatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #16
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Not sure what would make you happy at this point, but I think Dion's reply was appropriate and correct. I really like the Illusione cigars and I have fiver of the mk ultras. Haven't smoked any yet, but it's on the menu for this weekend.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #17
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Expecting perfection? Prepare for disappoinent.

Dion's response may have been a little tongue-in-cheek but understandably so.
I'm not saying you need to lower your expectations... But you might want to lower your expectations.

These are rolled up bunched of organic materials, selected and rolled by hand, that travel thousands of miles across land, sea and air, to reach your desktop Humidor, without you ever actually needing to set foot outside of your house if you so choose. Bear that in mind the next time you pull a cigar out to smoke it.

Something i started doing a while back really enhanced my experience while smoking cigars and helped me understand the reality of this luxury: Take a little extra time to try to imagine how many different sets of hands touched that product before your own. Try to imagine the face of the roller. Then of you still feel like you have been somehow slighted because your $9 illusione wasn't all you'd hoped for, consider that if you paid what you should for that cigar, or pretty much any other, most of us would not be able to afford to smoke anything at all.

Sorry you had a bad one, but you have to take the bad with the good. Keep on puffing and pursuing that perfect cigar, but don't be too disappointed if you never find it, most of the fun is in the pursuit anyway, right?!
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #18
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Very tong in cheek and not what I would expect from a company of any kind.

As for the cigar I have found it happens and more often with fresh sticks. Not saying this is the case but if you take a stick that already has somewhat of a tight draw and smoke it ROTT it may not have had time to stabilize at a decent RH, however low the RH of the day may be. Some say 70% some as low as 60%. Either way I can attest like most others that it's a rare case in Illusione cigars. And up to you to continue business with them if you felt insulted.

Edit: Is Dion a member on here? If so based on the OP I can see where the response may have come from.

Last edited by 688sonarmen; 09-03-2011 at 08:08 AM.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #19
vudu9
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
vudu9 is on a distinguished road

Again. Super sorry that the cigar was plugged. This is a rare issue with my line, as many of you know and is an easy fix. All comments positive and constructive are forwarded to the factory.

Dion.
vudu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #20
Neens
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (21)
Montecristo
Neens will become famous soon enough

I understand theres going to be problems with some of the cigars seeing as they are made by hand but I also dont like the tone of the e-mail. It seems more like hes mocking the OP more than anything else. Maybe seeing the email you sent him might give us some insite into the answer you got.
Neens is offline   Reply With Quote