Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Favorites

I have been smoking cigars for about two years now. I have not settled on a particular cigar that is the one I crave yet. Although I certainly have some that I love, I am still really just wanting to try as many different kinds as I can. Just wondering how many are still like that or do the majority of botls settle on three or four particualar cigars that you stick with. With there being 80 gazillion to choose from I don't see me just sticking with a few. Thoughts or comments please.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Favorites

Greg, there are about 5 that I always have on hand:
Gran Habano #5
Oliva G Maduro Belli
Oliva V Dbl Robusto
CAO Brazilia GOL!
Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro

I smoke other cigars but these are the ones that are always reliable if I have done my job and properly cared for my humidors.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

I don't think you are alone. There are some I always keep in stock, and do pick them more often than not, but I don't think I'll ever get to a point where I won't enjoy trying new cigars and finding more I like.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

I think the only constant that I have around is Padron londres and 2000....other then that I have a fair selection.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I tend to stick with cigars that I like and am familiar with. I'll branch out and try new ones if I read a review for something that sounds good.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road

I tend to buy a bunch of different singles that I want to try, but when it comes time to burn a stick I always seem to grab the same sticks.
Nabinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

First Name: Bob
Trading: (37)
Boobar is on a distinguished road

I have a handfull of cigars that I always keep in stock but I am always seeing new ones that I have to try.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Robert
Trading: (1)
RA
cle_smoker will become famous soon enough

My tastes seem to evolve all the time and my go to cigar a year ago isn't my go to cigar today.
cle_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
Chemyst
Doin Time on Planet Earth

First Name: Ken
Trading: (7)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
Chemyst is on a distinguished road

Yep, I've been thinking the same thing.

When you're a newbie you get in the habit of trying anything
and everything. After a few years it's hard to break the habit.

In 3 years, I've narrowed my field to about 5000 of the 10,000
different smokes! LOL
(and the bastids keep coming out with new ones)

Chemyst
Chemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I love trying new cigars. But I started a thread along these lines just the other week, that it really appears that I have a few that are the majority of my stock, and I smoke more of them than anything else. And, I wouldn't be disappointed if that is all I smoke.

I still love to try new things - and look forward to doing so thanks to a Shilala and a couple other bombing me pretty solidly, giving me sticks I probably never would purchase if I had to spend my own money.

Of course, it might just lead me to say, I need to get some of these, and get rid of the other stuff I have. I'll smoke less often, but I'll smoke the more pricey stuff.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Of course, it might just lead me to say, I need to get some of these, and get rid of the other stuff I have. I'll smoke less often, but I'll smoke the more pricey stuff.
Yeah, right! Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

I've been smoking for about 2 months, so I'm still in the "try anything" stage, but I have found a few cigars that I really enjoy:

Perdomo Slow-Aged Lot 826
Sancho Panza Double Maduro
Taboo Twist
Bucanero Full Sail Maduro
Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Greg, when it comes down to it, you gotta smoke what you like - and enjoy it.

If going out and trying all sorts of different cigars floats your boat, go for it.

Back in 1999 I was taught a wonderful lesson by being a reviewer for SMOKE magazine. In the course of reviewing for 3 consecutive issues, smoking about 50 different cigars (3 or 4 of each marca were sent in a baggie to blind taste) I learned that cost or origin of country meant very little to my taste buds. There were cigars in every category that I loved, hated, and was neutral about.

You may groove forever on searching for that 1 cigar, never finding it, but enjoying the journey. Or, one day, you may stumble upon that 1 (or maybe 4) cigar(s) that may finally satisfy your curiosity.

George Burns favorite cigar would make most people here cringe. I tried to like them, tried them on a number of occasions - they just never did it for me. But El Productos were all he smoked, and he could afford to smoke others if he wanted. And there are others just like him. The evidence is in how many EPs, White Owls, and such are sold every year. I don't know the numbers exactly, but it is something like 10-to-1 that such machine rolled, short filler cigars outsell the premium hand-rolleds that populate this board.

Some guys won't smoke anything but CCs. And Macanudos (sucking on straws to me) outsell most other hand rolled sticks, and are the only smokes of others.

If your passion is the journey, enjoy it. And make no apologies.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
yitlin

I think I would cry if I didn't have a steady supply of Camacho Corojo Figurados on hand... Don't tell Don Pepin, he's still my man, but I gotta have that Camacho in the humi.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #15
Cigarman

I tend to evolve.. I was on Tat East Coast for months, today La Aroma de Cuba Especiale is my go to with Habana Leon toros
Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #16
jaycarla
Mossy Hoosier

First Name: Jay
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
jaycarla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle_smoker View Post
My tastes seem to evolve all the time and my go to cigar a year ago isn't my go to cigar today.

In the 2 years I have been smoking I have come from Maduro's 52RG and higher, to now 1 out of 10 is a Maduro and anything over 46RG is also rare.

Tastes have changed and even monthly I seem to want something different.

Part of the fun I guess, I certainly not complaining.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:18 AM   #17
Beer Doctor

I think the most enjoyment comes from smoking a variety. I have a bunch of boxes but I still love trying new ones. I hope one day I'll have enough boxes that it'll feel like I'm trying a new cigar every time I smoke because I haven't had that cigar in months. Have fun and enjoy all the smokes
Old 03-13-2009, 05:47 AM   #18
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Greg, when it comes down to it, you gotta smoke what you like - and enjoy it.

If going out and trying all sorts of different cigars floats your boat, go for it.

Back in 1999 I was taught a wonderful lesson by being a reviewer for SMOKE magazine. In the course of reviewing for 3 consecutive issues, smoking about 50 different cigars (3 or 4 of each marca were sent in a baggie to blind taste) I learned that cost or origin of country meant very little to my taste buds. There were cigars in every category that I loved, hated, and was neutral about.

You may groove forever on searching for that 1 cigar, never finding it, but enjoying the journey. Or, one day, you may stumble upon that 1 (or maybe 4) cigar(s) that may finally satisfy your curiosity.

George Burns favorite cigar would make most people here cringe. I tried to like them, tried them on a number of occasions - they just never did it for me. But El Productos were all he smoked, and he could afford to smoke others if he wanted. And there are others just like him. The evidence is in how many EPs, White Owls, and such are sold every year. I don't know the numbers exactly, but it is something like 10-to-1 that such machine rolled, short filler cigars outsell the premium hand-rolleds that populate this board.

Some guys won't smoke anything but CCs. And Macanudos (sucking on straws to me) outsell most other hand rolled sticks, and are the only smokes of others.

If your passion is the journey, enjoy it. And make no apologies.

This is a really good post.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #19
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I definitely have go to smokes both NC and CC. However, I love trying new things that I get from you guys and gals. The smoke that Greg gave me on Wednesday night was a perfect example. It was a Sancho Panza double maduro and I really enjoyed it. Then last night I had a Padron 2000 maduro that was gifted and it reminded me how much I enjoy those.

To my the journey is a huge part of the enjoyment.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #20
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

I've only been smoking a little over two years Greg, and I actually started a thread like this......what's your MONEY cigar:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11005

I'm still holding that the RP Sun Grown is my fav, but the RP Winter is a serious contender right now!!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote