Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #1301
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: NHL '10 - '11 Thread

Bruins fans around the world have to turn in their "Matt Cooke" card, it's no longer valid.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #1302
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

None taken brother I am sure Al would agree with you .
I think given the history of the two and the teams Chara had bad intentions, but as you said it was a quick play. When he pushes him into the corner I just see that as intent. As you know the bad guy never tells you he meant to do it so you often rely on past actions and current actions. It was safe to say there was a history between the two bases on the video I posted and its safe to say his left arm extended forcing him into the corner.

I respectfully disagree.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #1303
JackSchwartz
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
JackSchwartz is on a distinguished road

From TSN.ca:

"Max Pacioretty has a severe concussion, as well as a fracture of the fourth cervical vertebrae, but it's not displaced," Martin said. "Max will remain at the hospital for further observation. There will be no other prognosis for the time being, but he will obviously be out indefinitely. The most important thing for our organization right now is Max's recovery. We will continue following recommendations from the doctors and of course, Max and his immediate family would appreciate privacy in this matter."

I wish the kid a speedy recovery, hopefully he's on the ice next year.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #1304
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=555437
Wondering if the Yotes will ultimately be moved. Wonder if someone is working behind the scenes.

Sharks are nipping at the Wings heels. 2 points back. Tough to say, but lets go Kings.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #1305
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=555437
Wondering if the Yotes will ultimately be moved. Wonder if someone is working behind the scenes.

Sharks are nipping at the Wings heels. 2 points back. Tough to say, but lets go Kings.
Heard either the Coyotes or Atlanta is headed to Winnipeg. Coyotes if they can't get someone to buy the team. I guess in Atlanta they want a local owner..

Wow rooting for the Kings. Sad day in NHL banter. Hope the Wings spoil your evening
Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #1306
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

LoL I thought todays banter has been highly entertaining.
Atleast I know I had a lot of fun stirring the pot.

I guess its kind of a tough call, but I would rather see the Sharks catch the Wings then worry about the Kings gaining on the Sharks. Sick I know. Would be poetic justice for the Sharks to tank the rest of the season and lose the last playoff spot to the Kings. Hahahaa. Didnt buy playoff tickets this year so meh. Spending to much on the kids hockey and stuff. Figure if they make it to the conf finals Ill put a deposit down on tickets for next year and buy then.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #1307
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Ooooo man Toms going to be pissed. That game was not the best officiated.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #1308
jaycarla
Mossy Hoosier

First Name: Jay
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
jaycarla is on a distinguished road

Went to the Pens/Sabres game last night in Pittsburgh. I live in Seattle and since the NBA hijacked the Sonics I would love an NHL team in Seattle to fill the void left at Key Arena. There is nothing there now aside from the WNBA Seattle Storm. Any of the NHL fans in this thread know of any rumblings/potential of Seattle maybe becoming a potential city for an NHL team?

TV does not do the NHL justice. Being there live for a game was just awesome. Granted it was in Pittsburgh which is a great hockey town, but if I could even have 50% of the experience in Seattle I would be in for season tickets.

Sorry for butting in on the thread, but I didn't know where else to go.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #1309
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycarla View Post
Any of the NHL fans in this thread know of any rumblings/potential of Seattle maybe becoming a potential city for an NHL team?
Portland wanted a team a few years ago I think. The Pens were on that list before Mario saved them.

I would bet that if any team moves, it's going back to Canada. Atlanta and Phoenix seem to be on the chopping block. Winnepeg and Hamilton want teams, and there is even talk of a 2nd Toronto team!

If you're in Seattle, get your passport up to speed and call the Canucks your home team!

BTW, how was the Consol Energy Center? Me and the wife are going to the Pens/Habs game on Saturday.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #1310
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:

I respectfully disagree.
I respect your respect, and am amicable to not agreeing, Mike.

Quote:
Ooooo man Toms going to be pissed. That game was not the best officiated.
Nah, with all the giveaways the Hawks D made tonight, they were lucky to get the point.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #1311
gravelman

Only saw the end of the Blues game tonight, but was lucky enough to see the amazing overtime goal by Stewart, it was quite amazing!!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #1312
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

The Colorado trade is shaping up to be the worst trade in many years.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #1313
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Well you got your wish Mike
Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #1314
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

Here's some unexpected fallout from the Chara - Patches hit.

Quote:
Report: Air Canada threatens NHL sponsorship over headshots

By Greg Wyshynski

For those who feel the NHL has been neglectful in aggressively policing hits to the head out of the game, it's often asked what, exactly, will get the League's attention.

Former stars whose careers were cut short by concussions speaking out? Scientific studies showing the degenerative effects headshots have on the brain? A season in which several high-profile players, including Sidney Crosby(notes), were lost to concussions?

In the end, perhaps it's money that speaks the loudest.

According to Bruce Garrioch of QMI, a letter written by Air Canada's director of marketing communications Denis Vandal and addressed to Gary Bettman threatens to pull the major sponsor's support of the NHL if there isn't more action taken on headshots and player safety in the League.

From the Toronto Sun:

"We are contacting you (Wednesday) to voice our concern over (Tuesday night's) incident involving Max Pacioretty(notes) and Zdeno Chara(notes) at the Bell Centre in Montreal," wrote Vandal. "This is following several other incidents involving career-threatening and life-threatening headshots in the NHL recently."

Vandal noted the controversial issue is becoming bad for Air Canada's brand.

"From a corporate social responsibility standpoint, it is becoming increasingly difficult to associate our brand with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents; action must be taken by the NHL before we are encountered with a fatality.

"Unless the NHL takes immediate action with serious suspension to the players in question to curtail these life-threatening injuries, Air Canada will withdraw its sponsorship of hockey."

A cynical approach to this news would be that it capitalizes on the wave of outrage sweeping through Canada over the lack of punishment for Zdeno Chara. And the thought that this is some kind of PR opportunism given the gravity of the situation is stomach-turning.

Also, the notion of a sponsor attempting to influence the on-ice product, as altruistic as its aim may be, can't be something fans see as a positive development.

The real issue? Whether other sponsors find it "becoming increasingly difficult to associate [their] brand with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents." Because while Air Canada's on its soapbox, the NHL is sitting on a pile of sponsorship money, having grown revenue 32 percent from 2008-10.

Bridgestone, Cisco Systems, McDonald's, Canadian Tire, Tim Hortons, BlackBerry, Discover and Hershey's all have new deals with the NHL this season, and MillerCoors inked a new $400 million deal. What do they think?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #1315
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Air Canada can suck a big bag of ****s.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #1316
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Air Canada can suck a big bag of ****s.
My thoughts exactly
Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #1317
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Montreal fans are off their rocker, they are jamming the police lines wanting Chara arrested.
The police had to go to media and tell the nuts to stop jamming the phone lines.
There was no head shot, it was a legal hit.
Just another reason Boston fans despise with a passion the Canadiens.
I did not want to say it before but their boy Max is no angle you reap what you sow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-onQTLSRBXQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqQHNFFXzWM
Old 03-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #1318
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

Bolivar

This whole situation is really starting to piss me off and I'm a Habs fan. The injury was terrible but hit was nothing worse then the penalty that was assessed.

I do believe that it was interference as you can't impede the player when they chip the puck past you. That being said that kind of check happens all the time on the players bench where a bigger defensmen rides a smaller player into the boards. The only reason Patches gets hurt is because of the stansion.

People are speaking out on this matter just to get in on the media hype including the Prime Minister of Canada.

Chara is now under criminal investigation in Quebec which is a ****ing joke. Hopefully once they find nothing wrong and people can give it a rest.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #1319
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefy View Post
Chara is now under criminal investigation in Quebec which is a ****ing joke. Hopefully once they find nothing wrong and people can give it a rest.
Complete and utter nonsense. Maybe we can make NHL hockey a "no check" league.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #1320
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Well you got your wish Mike

As to the criminal investivation Im sure its fluff do to the amount of phone calls the pd recieved in montreal.

As to the hit its a shame there has been talk he may never play again do to the fracture of the neck and teams being to scared. His carrer may be over. So I would ask any of the Boston posters remember Savard when posting and think a second.

As to the hit. I think he knew, but I am sure he had no idea it would turn out like this. Its clear he didnt like him, but I am sure he didnt think he would hurt him so bad. Its sad the kid actually could have died or been paralyzed for life. That arm pushing his head towards the stanchion just looks hmmmm.

Going to be interesting to watch this play out over the next few months. Glad it was not a player I was a fan off.
Closed Thread