Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #21
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Calibration of hygrometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicDrop View Post
That's what that jar is for. https://smokingpipes.com/accessories...oduct_id=83162 just a different manufacturer.
B&M's love these kinds of beads for some reason. In my experience they do not work well. I have found that these always over-humidify. I ditched these and got the HCM beads and have had zero humidor issues since.

For a humidor that size you could also drop a couple boveda packs in there and I think that would be a better option than those beads.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #22
sweater914
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
sweater914 is on a distinguished road

MagicDrop,

Lots of useful information on this site, read through the stickies. I built my coolidor using the info on this site and was generously rewarded. I bought HCM beads with hygrometer while on sale and built my first coolidor for about $150, money well spent. I don't know what your budget might be, but if you save a little, become informed you can have a reasonable humidor with solid humidity control to enjoy your new hobby.
sweater914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:42 AM   #23
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX View Post
B&M's love these kinds of beads for some reason. In my experience they do not work well. I have found that these always over-humidify. I ditched these and got the HCM beads and have had zero humidor issues since.

That was my experience also except I went with Heartfelt beads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX View Post
For a humidor that size you could also drop a couple boveda packs in there and I think that would be a better option than those beads.
Also good advice. If you go this route, get extra Boveda packs and just rotate them out, re-charging the used ones with distilled water.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #24
MagicDrop
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
MagicDrop is on a distinguished road

Thank you all.
MagicDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #25
MagicDrop
Still Watching My Back

MagicDrop is on a distinguished road

I have a small humidor and small budget to match it lol. But I think I can get the 2oz HMC beads and that would work for me. I did notice it says it's preset at 65% but I think I would want to raise it to 70%.
MagicDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #26
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
There's a really good article on salt testing in last month's newsletter.
If you haven't signed up for it yet, just pm me your address and I'll get it out to ya asap.
THIS!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:23 PM   #27
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicDrop View Post
I have a small humidor and small budget to match it lol. But I think I can get the 2oz HMC beads and that would work for me. I did notice it says it's preset at 65% but I think I would want to raise it to 70%.
And why would that be? I've heard some say 70 degrees/70 %RH is ideal. I think that's hokum.

I suggest using them at the pre-set 65% RH and see how your cigars smoke. If you then find you prefer them at a higher RH, you can adjust them then.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #28
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough

Yep. HCM beads. Also be sure to check your humidor for leaks. Out of curiosity whats your ambient RH? If its high it can raise the RH of a leaky humidor well past what the gel would do on its own. Its something you will want to sort out before you good beads get there.

I live in a very dry climate. I tried 65 and found it too dry. 68 is just right for me. 70 makes too many issues..
Old 01-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #29
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I started using heartfelt beads a few years back and never looked back. They work great.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote