Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Considering an Aristocrat

Hi all,

I am hoping to buy a smaller Aristocrat humidor and was wondering if I could get some feedback from some owners.

I think I'm going to opt for a smaller end table version that holds about 50 boxes and I'm unsure whether I should get the temperature control electronics. Our house is about 77 degrees in the summer and 70 in the winter. Would those of you who own one recommend getting the temperature control accessory, or is the humidification enough?

I haven't really had any problems with my desktop humidor, so I'm leaning towards no temperature control, but I also want to try to let some cc's rest for a few years, so not sure if the 77 degree temps will affect this.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Brian
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Considering an Aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Hi all,

I am hoping to buy a smaller Aristocrat humidor and was wondering if I could get some feedback from some owners.

I think I'm going to opt for a smaller end table version that holds about 50 boxes and I'm unsure whether I should get the temperature control electronics. Our house is about 77 degrees in the summer and 70 in the winter. Would those of you who own one recommend getting the temperature control accessory, or is the humidification enough?

I haven't really had any problems with my desktop humidor, so I'm leaning towards no temperature control, but I also want to try to let some cc's rest for a few years, so not sure if the 77 degree temps will affect this.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Brian
This will not be an Ambien induced purchase, I presume.

Brian, I own an end table Aristocrat and opted not to get the temp control. I didn't really think I needed one here in San Diego. While outside temps are not as hot as AZ, my internal house temps are similar to yours. Sustained temps over 80 are really what you need to be concerned with. As long as your house is in the 70s, you should be fine.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

It sounds to me like you do not need the temp control. However, I would ask Bob Staebell and go with his recommendation. He talked me out of temp control and I've not regretted that decision in spite of my cabinet being next to a south facing window.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
This will not be an Ambien induced purchase, I presume.

Brian, I own an end table Aristocrat and opted not to get the temp control. I didn't really think I needed one here in San Diego. While outside temps are not as hot as AZ, my internal house temps are similar to yours. Sustained temps over 80 are really what you need to be concerned with. As long as your house is in the 70s, you should be fine.

Hah, I've given up the ambien shopping sprees, but I have no doubt my sanity will be called into question by my wife if I decide buy this (which I've pretty much already decided).

Thank you for your feedback. The temp control really adds to the cost and it just seems hard to justify. In fact, I might be able to get TWO end tables for not too much more than one with the temperature control. They might look good on either side of our bed. Now to convince the wife...
Old 09-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Be sure to check out the thread on humidor pics to see what the various pieces look like in place. That can give you some perspective on size.

I have the Mxt cabinet in the 22" depth (not listed, but a standard size) which is perfect for a 2-box depth.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Be sure to check out the thread on humidor pics to see what the various pieces look like in place. That can give you some perspective on size.

I have the Mxt cabinet in the 22" depth (not listed, but a standard size) which is perfect for a 2-box depth.
Okay, thanks. I'll check it out!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

By the way, how are the glass doors on these? I tend to shy away from glass, but really like the look better. Do they seal well? For this kind of money I would hope so, but still curious.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
By the way, how are the glass doors on these? I tend to shy away from glass, but really like the look better. Do they seal well? For this kind of money I would hope so, but still curious.
I have glass doors on my MTX Plus, and have never had any seal issues, Brian.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
Dewey
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Dewey is on a distinguished road

I have a mini-tall I that was delivered in June. Has beveled glass top and door. I live in southeast Georgia but my house usually doesn't get above 74. My aristocrat has performed flawlessly for 3 months so far, except it somehow is now too full, so I had to order an MXT.

Wish I had just done that to begin with!
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I have the 2/3 glass doors as well and as you would imagine, the seals are perfect the overall craftsmanship is for that matter. I was thinking temp control and Bob talked me out of it as well (also living in San Diego). I went with the MX+ Deep and having the glass is nice because I am constantly 'checking it out' from across the room.

Best purchase I have made in many years.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
DennisP
Come Get It

Trading: (17)
HUpmann
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough

I have a mini tall. No issues with door at all. If I were to do it again I'd probably go w/o the glass, but that's just my taste changing over time.
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
It sounds to me like you do not need the temp control. However, I would ask Bob Staebell and go with his recommendation. He talked me out of temp control and I've not regretted that decision in spite of my cabinet being next to a south facing window.
Two of my friends have big ones with temp control. They are loud and if you lose power (which is when you lose AC), you'll lose the temp control on the Aristocrat as well. Not only that, the temp unit takes up a lot of space.

I've owned an Aristocrat for about a decade, in the summer it is humid in my locale, so some years I do not even use the humidifier. They are well priced considering the level of craftsmanship; you'd pay that much for any kind of heirloom piece humidor or not.

Go twice as big as you'll think you need. General rule of thumb on any investment collecting piece like cabinet, wine cellar, etc...
Old 09-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Thank you all! I guess a mtx needs to be a serious consideration. I appreciate it.