Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
badbriar

Default Cigar aromas...

Anyone else here like to take the occasional whiff of their cigar after it's toasted, warm and have a good ash developing? Some of my favorites have the best aroma when they are burning well. Not talking about the smoke off the foot, but the aroma of the warm barrel of the stick. Interesting that each cigar has a unique aroma that can be completely different from the flavors. A couple of sticks with outstanding aromas are Cusano 18 Paired Maduro, Oliva V and La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor Reserva. Awesome!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cigar aromas...

I have not, but will give it a try.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
stevef2005
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
stevef2005 will become famous soon enough

Same here. I will have to give it a try next time I light up.
stevef2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I've done it a few times with other people's smokes, but not my own too much.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

I've done this from time to time, not every stick but I'm now wondering why not. You're right though Rob, some sticks have a euphoric aroma. RoMa craft comes right to mind as one of my favs.
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I have done this without really thinking about it -- but now I am going to try to be more thoughtful when I do it.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
badbriar

Just had a T52 this afternoon with a superb coffee and found the aroma of the heated cigar body was one of the most alluring I've encountered. Smell those cigars - it definitely enhances the total experience!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
mikesr1963
CAO FLATHEAD

First Name: Mister
Trading: (0)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
mikesr1963 has disabled reputation

The sweetest tastes of a cigar are within the first 10 drags you take off it. After that, it rarely gets better. If it stays consistent to the end from there it's a very enjoyable experience and the smoker has a great deal to do with which way that experience goes.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
The sweetest tastes of a cigar are within the first 10 drags you take off it. After that, it rarely gets better. If it stays consistent to the end from there it's a very enjoyable experience and the smoker has a great deal to do with which way that experience goes.
I've actually found that some of the sweetest flavors are either mid-point or toward the end of sticks, I actually find cigars get better (for the most part) as they go, you tend to lose the spice and pepper after the first drags in my opinion, than again cigars are different for everyone, as long as you enjoy smoking what you're smoking that's all that matters.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I've actually found that some of the sweetest flavors are either mid-point or toward the end of sticks, I actually find cigars get better (for the most part) as they go, you tend to lose the spice and pepper after the first drags in my opinion, than again cigars are different for everyone, as long as you enjoy smoking what you're smoking that's all that matters.
I agree.
I am more intrigued by a complex cigar that changes flavors/profile as you smoke.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Huh??? Fine cigars usual change flavors throughout the smoke, you may need to change your sticks Mike...my .02. To me the 1st 10 drags are the worst, after that it should get better.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
baust55
AUSTIN

First Name: JAMES
Trading: (1)
baust55 is on a distinguished road

I have done this

austin
baust55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Huh??? Fine cigars usual change flavors throughout the smoke, you may need to change your sticks Mike...my .02. To me the 1st 10 drags are the worst, after that it should get better.

When smoking a cigar I haven't tried before I try not to even start forming an opinion until I'm >1/2" in.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
mikesr1963
CAO FLATHEAD

First Name: Mister
Trading: (0)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
mikesr1963 has disabled reputation

I find that the further up the cigar I go, the tobacco closest to your mouth is coated with nicotine and tar in liquid form. The tobacco isn't dry and the instant heat actually makes it sweat more as it's smoked. You can actually feel it when you roll the cigar in your fingers as you smoke it. The further I go up the cigar the more it's like smoking a soggy cigarette filter instead of sweet tobacco. I hear so many talk about the pepperyness but I've never tasted pepper. If I pull to hard on a cigar the smoke tends to over heat and I get a pepper like burn on my tongue but that's about it. I don't find it pleasant tasting at all. In fact, from there IMO you may have ruined the cigar; soon after it will get bitter and will continue to intensify. Cigars I enjoy regularly and can smoke at least half way, maybe a little past it are Montecristo Classics, Macanudo Maduros, Flathead 552's, CAO Vintage Golds. Anything else I've tried is hit or miss.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

I do this all the time, I love the aromas!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #16
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

I do smell my cigar all the time
Old 05-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #17
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
I find that the further up the cigar I go, the tobacco closest to your mouth is coated with nicotine and tar in liquid form. The tobacco isn't dry and the instant heat actually makes it sweat more as it's smoked. You can actually feel it when you roll the cigar in your fingers as you smoke it. The further I go up the cigar the more it's like smoking a soggy cigarette filter instead of sweet tobacco. I hear so many talk about the pepperyness but I've never tasted pepper. If I pull to hard on a cigar the smoke tends to over heat and I get a pepper like burn on my tongue but that's about it. I don't find it pleasant tasting at all. In fact, from there IMO you may have ruined the cigar; soon after it will get bitter and will continue to intensify. Cigars I enjoy regularly and can smoke at least half way, maybe a little past it are Montecristo Classics, Macanudo Maduros, Flathead 552's, CAO Vintage Golds. Anything else I've tried is hit or miss.
Just curious Mike what RH do you store your cigars at, don't know if it makes a difference, mine are usually around 62% RH, some people think that's pretty dry to smoke at but I find it works out p and I haven't really found the issues you've found, granted all cigars are different, also do you tend to smoke them with a faster or slower, now I'm just really curious.

Edit: and the peppery part isn't that tannic nasty gooey taste, more of a peppery (like a black pepper) quality that doesn't usually last long, Partagás usually have that quality at the start.

a
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #18
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote:
I find that the further up the cigar I go....

To each their own I guess but I have never found this to be the case with the cigars I smoke. Maybe we are just smoking different cigars or maybe our palate's are just that much different however, the majority of cigars that I enjoy smoking have a depth and a complexity that continues throughout the entirety of the cigar. I cannot think of an instance where I found the most enjoyment out of the first 10 puffs off a smoke. But again, apparently our experiences differ significantly.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #19
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
To each their own I guess but I have never found this to be the case with the cigars I smoke. Maybe we are just smoking different cigars or maybe our palate's are just that much different however, the majority of cigars that I enjoy smoking have a depth and a complexity that continues throughout the entirety of the cigar. I cannot think of an instance where I found the most enjoyment out of the first 10 puffs off a smoke. But again, apparently our experiences differ significantly.

If I smoked a cigar where the best part was in the first 10 puffs, I would never waste my time smoking that cigar again
Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #20
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Try purging your cigars once you are starting to get that wet, tar, and tanic taste when smoking non-cuban cigars.

Also, try some other cigars.
CRIMPS is offline   Reply With Quote