Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Oliva V small diadema

When I met Dave Wagner, national sales manager of the Oliva Cigar Company a few months ago, he told me he always has some Oliva V 6x46 diadema cigars in his pockets as they are his favorite Oliva V's and they are not a regular production cigar, you will only find them in the Oliva V samplers. We smoked one right on the spot and he gave me a second one for a review, a review you are reading now.

The cigar has the most beautiful shape, I think that the diadema is the best looking cigar shape out there. I smell the cigar and when I close my eyes I can even see the horses I smell, it's like I'm in a stable. The construction feels great and the cigar looks awesome with the dark, shiny and oily wrapper. I see a few thing long veins. Dave told me he never punches or cuts a cigar, he pinches the cap and because he gave me this cigar, I pinched the cap too, it worked well. The predraw is fine.

I taste some earth flavors with pepper and some mild sweet wood. After half an inch the cigar taste like herbs with wood, quite spicy. After an inch I taste wood as main flavor with herbs in the aftertaste, the cigar is mild peppery. The cigar lacks the Oliva V power and pepper but that makes it special and very enjoyable.

Halfway the pepper disappeared and I taste herbs with wood. The herbs took over as main flavor again. The wood slowly disappears completely and after two thirds all I taste are herbs with some cinnamon, which I love. I also taste some chocolate on the background. The chocolate slowly grows in strength and turns into dark chocolate. The cigar also gets a little bit spicy.

This cigar was good for an hour and thirty five minutes. The draw is great, the smoke is plenty but a bit thin. The ash is quite dark and quite firm. The burn is beautiful. This cigar is medium to full flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? That would be impossible without buying a whole sampler

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
Old 02-03-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Oliva V small diadema

Wow Don you got a lot of reviews up today. Glad to hear you liked this stick as I currently have two resting in my coolidor. Thanks for the great reviews!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

Great review. I love this particular V the most. I smoke a ton of V's and would smoke 4-5 boxes of these a year if they were available seperately. Someday...
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:15 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Sweeet!!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Great Review, Ferdie!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
smokinpeace
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Brennan
Trading: (6)
smokinpeace is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review.
smokinpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
jdawg
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (2)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
jdawg is on a distinguished road

Great review!
jdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Thats a nice size. Thanks for the awesome review. I love the Figurado one of the few 60 rg smokes I enjoy. I dont mind the thicker rg when it is tapered into some type of figurado be it a diadema or Salamone ect.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
BSB
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bob
Trading: (13)
Partagas
BSB will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review.