Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Robulous78

Default The answer to Insurgent Snipers? The XM-25

Saw this in an email, wanted to share... Enjoy...

(ARTICLE)

The XM- 25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System

The XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System has a range of roughly 2,300 feet - and is to be deployed in Afghanistan soon. I would call it the "Equalizer". Some call it the "Punisher".

The rifle's gun sight uses a laser rangefinder to determine the exact distance to the obstruction, after which the soldier can add or subtract up to 3 meters from that distance to enable the bullets to clear the barrier and explode above or beside the target.

Soldiers will be able to use them to target snipers hidden in trenches rather than calling in air strikes.

The 25-millimeter round contains a chip that receives a radio signal from the gun sight as to the precise distance to the target. Lt. Col. Christopher Lehner, project manager for the system, described the weapon as a "game-changer" that other nations will try and copy.

He expects the Army to buy 12,500 of the XM25 rifles this year, enough for every member of the infantry and special forces.

Lehner told Fox News: "With this weapon system, we take away cover from [enemy targets] forever. Tactics are going to have to be rewritten. The only thing we can see [enemies] being able to do is run away."

Experts say the rifle means that enemy troops will no longer be safe if they take cover. The XM25 appears to be the perfect weapon for street-to-street fighting that troops in Afghanistan have to engage in, with enemy fighters hiding behind walls and only breaking cover to fire occasionally.

The weapon's laser finder would work out how far away the enemy was and then the U.S. Soldier would add one meter using a button near the trigger.

When fired, the explosive round would carry exactly one meter past the wall and explode with the force of a hand grenade above the Taliban fighter.

The army's project manager for new weapons, Douglas Tamilio, said: "This is the first leap-ahead technology for troops that we've been able to develop and deploy."

A patent granted to the bullet's maker, Alliant Tech systems, reveals that the chip can determine how far it has traveled. Mr. Tamilio said: "You could shoot a Javelin missile, and it would cost about $69,000. These rounds will end up costing $25.00 apiece. They're relatively cheap." Lehner added: "This is a game-changer. The enemy has learned to get cover, for hundreds if not thousands of years. Well, they can't do that anymore. We're taking that cover from them and there's only two outcomes: We're going to get you behind that cover or force you to flee."

The rifle will initially use high-explosive rounds, but its makers say that it might later use versions with smaller explosive charges that aim to stun rather than kill.

What one of the revolutionary bullets looks like that can be pre-programmed to explode to hit troops that are hiding.

(END ARTICLE)

Thoughts?

Last edited by Robulous78; 08-08-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Robulous78

Default Re: The answer to Insurgent Snipers? The XM-25

Bad day to F-ck with American Troops...
Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
big pete
Going to the darkside....

Trading: (20)
PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

I'll take one. K thx
big pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Sweet!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Boom Shaka Laka Boom!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Reminds me of the G11:
Old 08-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Awesome!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Me want! Me want!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

I am kind of surprised these are really going to be issued. With the draw down and budget cuts i wonder who will get fired of this bulk buy. There are tons of firearms that have been made for the military that are just too expensive to build, issue, and even use. The Army has created a firearm that shoots lasers, yet it cost too much to issue to soldiers. I wonder if this will be like every other new smart weapons system, as in soldiers will not be able to fire it at a range do to the cost of the round. I THINK that the round will cost to much for the government to truly issue this weapon system to soldiers who really truly needed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Reminds me of the G11:
COD Black Ops anyone??

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks View Post
I am kind of surprised these are really going to be issued. With the draw down and budget cuts i wonder who will get fired of this bulk buy. There are tons of firearms that have been made for the military that are just too expensive to build, issue, and even use. The Army has created a firearm that shoots lasers, yet it cost too much to issue to soldiers. I wonder if this will be like every other new smart weapons system, as in soldiers will not be able to fire it at a range do to the cost of the round. I THINK that the round will cost to much for the government to truly issue this weapon system to soldiers who really truly needed it.

COD Black Ops anyone??

I might be thinking of a different system here, but I seem to recall reading that all funding for the XM-25 was dropped a few months ago and all units were pulled from service. Something about a double feed and propellant detonation which injured the soldier attempting to fire it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I might be thinking of a different system here, but I seem to recall reading that all funding for the XM-25 was dropped a few months ago and all units were pulled from service. Something about a double feed and propellant detonation which injured the soldier attempting to fire it.
Party Pooper!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks View Post

$25.00 per round or call in an air strike.

Flying time for a 4-ship of vipers (F-16s) or Hornets (F-18s) is a tad pricier. Plus the air-to-air refueling to get them there. 3.5 hours flying time just to get the tanker in-country from Al Dhafra, UAE. Plus flying time, air refueling, and crew costs for Airborne AWACS radar coverage. FAC (forward air controllers) on the ground lazing the target and calling in the strike. I'm 100% w/ you on bloated over-extended military programs. But this one looks to be a real cost saver. And puts the weapon right in the hands of the rifleman so he can determine the fate of the battle instead of relying on good for nothing Air Force pilots!!!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

http://killerapps.foreignpolicy.com/...armys_punisher
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

In my way of thinking, the enemy gets it's hands on one of these weapons and they can easily create an RF interference device that renders the rounds useless.
Or worse yet, they get ahold of the tech and turn it on our boys. The article makes it sound like our enemies are the only ones who have ever used cover as strategy.
Those are just the first things to cross my mind and they're probably questions that have been asked and seen to, but maybe not. It is the gubernment.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

The Israelis have something similar and seems much safer for the troops, I'll look for some of the write-ups but I remember seeing it on Future Weapons a year or so again, set the smart round, fire it through a window and have it explode in the middle of a room, pretty cool stuff.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote