Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default When is Too Early?

So I have always thought that someone should never mow the lawn/run lawn related power equipment, before 8:00 AM. I have never really had issues with neighbors doing it, though there is one guy that gets out there pretty early.

That doesn’t affect me either way, as I am a very early riser, even on the weekends…. Usually 6:00 AM on the weekends. Also mowing tends to be a weekend endeavor, at least when done in the morning.

To the point, I was out with the snowblower this morning at 6:30 AM. It is big and LOUD, much louder than any lawnmower. I wasn’t waiting until I returned home from work to clear the 6” of snow off my drive and walk…. Too early?
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation
Default Re: When is Too Early?

The rule of thumb I use to mow the lawn at home in Cali or run the snowblower at my sister's house in NJ is if it's past dawn then go for it.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
hazydat620
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chad(choad, schoad)
Trading: (10)
hazydat620 is on a distinguished road

no, not too early if you don't mind rocks being thrown from your neighbors
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Different rules for lawn mowing than snow blowing. If you need to move snow before you go to work then however early you need to be on your way should be cool with any neighbor who has ever had to work for a living. Lawn mowing though is a more voluntary act and should be scheduled so as not to wake the neighbors.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post
Different rules for lawn mowing than snow blowing. If you need to move snow before you go to work then however early you need to be on your way should be cool with any neighbor who has ever had to work for a living. Lawn mowing though is a more voluntary act and should be scheduled so as not to wake the neighbors.

I would add the one caveat being that there is enough snow to warrant using the blower.
We have one neighbor who is out early, using his blower for as little as an inch of snow.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

You gotta do what you gotta do!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I personally wait until 10am before doing anything like that, now I do not nor plan on owning a snow blower, I just manually shovel and I do that when I feel like it, sometimes before I leave for work and other times after I get home....but for the lawnmower I will wait till 10am
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Having lived in places with and without snow, it seems that it's acceptable to run the snowblower 24/7. Neighbors seem to appreciate snow getting cleared whether it's 11pm or 3am, lawnmowers not so much.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I was blowing snow at 3 AM this morning. I wasn't looking to interupt anyone's sleep. You've got to feel for your neighbors, but like others have said, if you need to do it to go to work, anytime should be understandable to the neighbors. Mine are understanding.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Depends on the day of the week around here. Excessive noise ordinance spells out when you can operate equipment that exceeds a certain dBA. It's mainly to keep contruction crews from starting to early, but can be applied to other situations like outdoor concerts and leaf blowing.

Daytime means the hours from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

10:00am for the lawnmower, the grass isn't going anywhere and you shouldn't cut it wet, anyways.
The snowblower can be run any hour. The snow has to move, it can't pile up. Dom makes an excellent point though. Common sense applies. If there's an inch of snow and it's quit snowing, or is supposed to quit soon, it can wait.
That's assuming I live in close quarters. If I live in farm country, I can run whatever I want whenever I want to. Especially if I'm on a farm. Nobody is going to complain, either. They'll smile. "Nutsy across the street is plowing at 3:00 in the morning, he must have to go to work today." The smile is because he's badass.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

I say if your neighbors don't like you snowblowing that early let them come over and do your sidewalk while you are at work. I do mine first thing in the morning but I also do my Neighbors to keep the peace!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation

I'd prefer not having to listen to a lawn mower before 8 AM. Snow removal equipment doesn't really bother me because it's kind of a necessity in order for people to be able to get to work where I live.

Some cities have laws that prohibit using lawn mowers before and after a certain time of day. Not sure if mine does or not.
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Snow plow "as needed" is paramount to getting to work. No time is too early if it is for snow removal after snowing. Mowing a lawn is "optional" and can be done when appropriate.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

In my area, noise ordinances are at the city level, not the HOA. Here, it is 8am except for reasons of health and safety. Removing snow tends to be a safety issue as is the city suctioning leaves from a flooding storm drain, removing a fallen tree, etc.

In my neighborhood, no one is shy about calling the city to complain about early noise. I have to keep reminding my landscape maintenance people that 8am is the legal start time, not 7:45.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
milhouse
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
milhouse is on a distinguished road

i usually have my snow blower going around 5am on a work day. there is no way I can leave it until I can come home. If someone got slipped and hurt themselves, I would be liable. I too clear my neighbors sidewalk and path.

If any of my neighbors complained, (which I doubt they would) I wouldn't give it much thought. Most of them are senior citizens who don't have anything better to complain about anyway. LOL
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Depends ... you doing my driveway too?

If not, I hope you don't mind me seafoaming my engines when you have guests over in the back yard .
Old 01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Back when I was a kid, we had a neighbor who would snowblow not only his walks, but ours as well. Both houses were corner lots with more sidewalk. Where I live now someone with an ATV with a plow attachment sometimes plows the sidewalks down the entire block if we get a big snowfall. Looks like he has a blast doing it, too!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #20
Robulous78

There is a parking lot cleaning service that does the big lot beside the hotel... in the mornings they are out there with their rig and back-pack blowers at 5:00am... really pisses my guests off every now and again but anyway this made me think about that... so IMHO your all good if your starting at 6:00am... atleast they know when they are awoken by your snow blower they should probably get up early and unearth their driveways as well...