Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #21
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 6-Year old suspended - camping utensil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBJ View Post
Where did you grow up? Compton?

It's not "where" it's when, when we didn't have to worry about namby pamby wuss asses calling us in if we had a pocket knife. Oh BTW, I always carry 3 pocket knives today

I dare ya to ask, at the EPIC HERF 2 if.........."Anybody got a knife?"
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #22
DoctorBJ

You're on.

And yes, times are a-changing with schools. Kids will shank ya for beating their arse in kickball. no wonder that 1st grader was packing.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #23
troy d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Did you all see this?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/zachary-ch...ory?id=8812939

Talk about roasting my coffee beans
hello triplef. i want to comment on this issue. i heard about this story while listening to talk radio this morning at work. this is complete and udder insanity, this kid was using the fork part of the knife while eating lunch. this is the udder stupidity that is going on our schools. that whole admin staff should be fired.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #24
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Well,
Sounds like they realize they are nuts or they have succumbed to public outrage.
They say after tonight's meeting they will change their policy for Kindergarten and first grade. They are going to give him 3-to 5 day suspension.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #25
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy d. View Post
hello triplef. i want to comment on this issue. i heard about this story while listening to talk radio this morning at work. this is complete and udder insanity, this kid was using the fork part of the knife while eating lunch. this is the udder stupidity that is going on our schools. that whole admin staff should be fired.
In all fairness, they are following the rules.
The problem does not lie with them so much as it lies with who made the rules.
Per my prior post, looks like the kid is going to be spared reform school.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #26
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
They are going to give him 3-to 5 day suspension.
This sounds a lot more reasonable than the crazyness they first handed down.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #27
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade06 View Post
This sounds a lot more reasonable than the crazyness they first handed down.
Definitely more reasonable now. I'm glad that's working out a little better. But .....

... back in MY day! Seriously, wtf man. What's with people these days? It used to be the loonies were the only ones you had to worry about and they were few and far between. Even twenty years ago a pocket knife didn't get a second look ... hell a folding Buck knife on my hip was fine in high school.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #28
troy d.

Default the six year old with knife

guys i will apologize for my anger. but this is udder stupidity. this is a six year old kid, where is the discretion on the part of the teachers and admin staff. it is like we in america have become a bunch of wimps. the child received the knife from cub scouts. back in the 80's when i was in high school it was nothing to carry a pocket knife to school. it was normal protocol if you were male. even in elementary school most of us carried around a pocket knife.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #29
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: the six year old with knife

Do we really need another thread on this subject?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #30
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23001
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #31
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
It would be ok if he was just using the shotgun as a box opener.
Or if one were working in loss prevention!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #32
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

What was the weapons policy when you were in the Navy, Troy? Also curious as to where you served and with whom?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #33
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Knee jerk reactions aside, there is something to be said for making sure children know when is the proper time and place to carry a knife with them. It's something the Scouting program teaches as part of safety.

Reactions on the table, I strongly disagree with the initial punishment, but I feel the commuted 3-5 day suspension is warranted. It's enough to impress on both student and parents the gravity of the situation and help ensure it won't happen again.

Besides, I carried a dive knife strapped to my ankle almost every day, or a folder on the inside of my belt, and no one said a word, not even the dean when I lent it to him one day to cut some ribbon.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #34
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
In all fairness, they are following the rules.
The problem does not lie with them so much as it lies with who made the rules.
Per my prior post, looks like the kid is going to be spared reform school.

And there are way to many of those people who make the rules that need to be beat with a common sense bat.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #35
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
And there are way to many of those people who make the rules that need to be beat with a common sense bat.

Ron

Where are they for sale Ron? I need one and have a few folks in mind to try it out on.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #36
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy d. View Post
guys i will apologize for my anger. but this is udder stupidity. this is a six year old kid, where is the discretion on the part of the teachers and admin staff. it is like we in america have become a bunch of wimps. the child received the knife from cub scouts. back in the 80's when i was in high school it was nothing to carry a pocket knife to school. it was normal protocol if you were male. even in elementary school most of us carried around a pocket knife.
I'm with you I hate cow stupidity.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #37
GoodFella
out to sea

Trading: (7)
ERdM AirForce (Active)
GoodFella has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
It's not "where" it's when, when we didn't have to worry about namby pamby wuss asses calling us in if we had a pocket knife. Oh BTW, I always carry 3 pocket knives today

I dare ya to ask, at the EPIC HERF 2 if.........."Anybody got a knife?"

oh man i have hefed you guys before. i know how it goes. Out of ten guys you will get 15 blades.

And probley 2 hand guns
Old 10-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #38
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Well,
Looks like Zachary is on his way back to school.
The board met last night and changed their policy.
Kids are now subject to a 3 to 5 day suspension and possible counseling with parents present.

What does this show? To me, that folks can get nuts sometimes and not see the forest for the trees. They make rules intended to do well but can't see the rules are flawed. Also shows if folks are outraged and speak up, things do change.

Glad to hear this little guy is on his way back to his regular school and friends and was not exposed to reform school.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #39
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Tried to stay away from posting on this thread, but here I go.... As one who works in both middle and high schools my thoughts.

First off, who cares what you and I did in school 35 - 40 years ago. Times have changed. BAck in high school I also carried knives and shotguns. There were more guns hanging in the backs of pickups during hunting season in the school parking lot than the whole police department had in totality. No one even thought of taking one out of an unlocked truck. The way we lived just has no meaning to todays students.

Were the rules over board in this case, who knows? We have kids from the 4th grade on up killing other kids in school or on the play grounds, google the news..... Parents are so cluless as to what there kids are doing and don't care to know. 2 jobs, got to get the Escalade to pull my boat to the lake, build the mansion, etc. I can't get even one of the 2 (if the kid has 2 parents) to come and see me to save their child from failing. The fix to problem #1, know what your children are doing and who they are doing it with. You may not be wealthier or happier knowing about your kids, but you will be able to have a greater affect on their lives. Trust belongs on a dollar bill, not for teens.

As to the disipline the student got, if that's what the rules called for by the education board/Superintendant (usually people you elected if you even showed up to vote that year). Principals do not set those types of policies. They must enforce them equally and dispassionantly or risk themselves and the school division being sued by the next parent whose child got different treatment. Or from the parent of the kid who gets cut/stabbed/shot etc. Almost every school I work in has a student agenda the kids must carry. Guess what, all the school rules and usually the infraction penalties are in it, ever thought about looking though it?

Why might there be so many hudlums in the schools? Getting back to "our" days in school, bad kids were either OSS or kicked out straight up. Not so much anymore. Kids in school = $$$$$$$. Either in free lunch money or what the state/Feds provide. So, every student on the rolls for that day equates to more funds for the school. End result, more undiserables are kept in school with your "good" kids, cuz I know your little Johnny wouldn't do those things (sick of hearing how their little angels would never start a fight).

I trust none of them and never turn my back for long in the room. My ears are always listening to what they are saying, most think I am only listening if they see me looking at them, not so. The more the hear the more I might be able to head off or stop. Average for a 1100 student body school is 3 rent a cops and at least 1 uniformed/armed city policeman. I work in schools from rual, "good" city schools to the the schools most parents given a choice would never put their kids in. The richer kids are just a tad smarter and their parents with better educations can afford better lawyers to keep their kids from getting records....

Before you pass judgement too quick on the rules of most any place - military, schools, etc make sure you have a good base to start from. I highly encourage you to volunteer a few weeks to get a feel for what the students are living in school these days. Do a little tutoring, open your eyes and ears and really see what their lives are about out of the house. Might open your eyes.....

Yea, I'm a bit cynical but it's real and I have seen/experienced this and more the past 10 years. Folks may not like it but that's what is going on. On the other hand, my and possibly not worth that much. Rest assured I do not teach english or typing, math is where I work
Old 10-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #40
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post

Before you pass judgement too quick on the rules of most any place - military, schools, etc make sure you have a good base to start from. I highly encourage you to volunteer a few weeks to get a feel for what the students are living in school these days. Do a little tutoring, open your eyes and ears and really see what their lives are about out of the house. Might open your eyes.....

Yea, I'm a bit cynical but it's real and I have seen/experienced this and more the past 10 years. Folks may not like it but that's what is going on. On the other hand, my and possibly not worth that much. Rest assured I do not teach english or typing, math is where I work
Your view and a valid one from your perspective.
I come from a family of many, many teachers, all in the Newark, NJ school system. I know Newark very well and while I hold fond memories of growing up there, schools there are a challenge to say the least. So, I assure you I know where you are coming from.

However, that shouldn't harden an individual to the extent you take a kid who had no malice in mind as is evident now and throw him in a system with kids truly warranting reform. Was his intent known at the time? Of course not and as such, he should have been detained as he was and questioned along with the parents present.

I agree the school was simply following the rules. I don't hold them at fault. It is the rules and those that set them that I have issue with. Clearly, they too recognize they were truly nuts as they have since changed their rules totally as of last night and have reduced the punishment to a 3-5 day suspension.