Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice
Default Re: Who's been your biggest cigar influence on & offline?

Offline: Cheryl at my B&M. A font of knowledge. She's been to almost all of the major factories, is friends with many of the uppity ups in the business, and I'm always learning new things from her. Not only that, but membership is über reasonable, and the chairs are comfy.

Online: Hard to say. I would say Google. Then Halfwheel. Then CB. Then CI. Here. There. Let my fingers do the walking.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #22
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgusP2 View Post
Aaron (lostark374), Carl (rennD), Mo (MoTheMan) and the S.H.I.T. Herfers did me in.

Thanks guys!
Online:

The guy that posted this (Angel) and Peter (pnoon), only the names are changed but the herf remains the same. (Larry, Mate, Ricky, Bob, Dennis, Mike and the rest of the S.H.I.T. crew)

California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain
Honolulu Starbright - the song remains the same.

Offline:

The cigarette girl at the craps table that asked me if I wanted a pack of smokes and when I told her I quit, she asked me if I wanted to try a cigar...
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #23
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I was turned into "The Resident Maduro Whore" by Johnny (JK5) and haven't looked back since. I have had a ton of brothers steer me down different roads, but to name one that was the most influential...hands down, Scott (Shilala). Our paletes were so very similar that he was able to provide me the insight on what to try, enjoy, etc. I have taken the info that Scott passed to me and RAN WITH IT. I still love my maduros and would say that 98% of my collection is "dark & yummy" due to his guidance and wisdom.

I use Cigar Asylum every single day to guage reviews, look into new sticks for those with similar palates. I also use Halfwheel a lot for info on new sticks, where to find, etc.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #24
badbriar

cigarobsession
Old 05-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #25
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Offline the owner of my local B&M, and online pretty much anybody here at CA.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #26
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Fidel Castro
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
ripper
Busy doing nothing

First Name: Bart
Trading: (12)
Cohiba
ripper will become famous soon enough

Good thread.
Grateful to shilala, tedrodgerscpa, jjirons69, thaplumbr & longknocker for navigating me from Club Stogie to this murky and wonderful haven. Much thanks to my maduro mentor kelmac07 the prince of darkness for his advice & friendship.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #28
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Damn you Ron (neuron), you spoiled me rotten and kicked me right off the slippery slope!
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #29
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Fidel Castro

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tŭr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #30
ironchefscott
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: scott
Trading: (5)
HUpmann
ironchefscott will become famous soon enough

Locally I had a buddy who showed me the way to cigars named scott who without him I would not be here now. Now that I have been shown the magic of the darkside. I need a local CC Obi Wan!

Online My buddy Jack the Greek has shown me the light with many many cc's that I have tried(not on this board) I have been loving the info I have gotten from this side on CC's ...since NC's are dead to me as of late.
Thanks in advance to all who will help me with advice or whatnot in my adventure to the darkside.
ironchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #31
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

I was kind of starting to smoke some decent cigars when on a sub-forum of a watch collectors forum I got involved in the cigar thread! The five or six regulars on that thread really took my enjoyment of cigars to another level. Some time later I found this forum, the two guys I traded with, Drez, and Chip were great, and introduced me to yet another level of smokes.

Since I live in a rather remote area, and rarely get to a B&M 99% of what I've learned about cigars I've gathered from the two forums, this one as well as the watch forum.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #32
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

I don't think anyone offline has really contributed to my obsession very much.

Online I would have to say Larry, Kevin and Mac. They all have similar tastes to me, and I would just see what they were enjoying and buy cigars that way. Still do it somewhat to this day.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #33
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Online: Stogie Review

Off line: my Father who still I love sitting with and smoking a cigar while drinking some form of Whiskey or Whisky
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #34
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Offline: My BIL, who quit cigars after I started

Online: The CA crew (you know who you all are) and this year alone maninblack (kevin) like Mac said about Scott out palettes are very similar and he has pushed me down the dark path of some amazing sticks, and I'm glad to know him.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #35
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

Offline: Good friend of mine by the name of Ryan. Got me back into cigars after a 15 years hiatus

Online: CigarAsylum off course, halfwheel
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #36
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Almost everybody on this forum has helped me along the may however the most influential are likely these culprits:

Shilala-
When I was just getting started out in CCs Scott made a lot of great recommendations and blew me up in a trade that provided me the amazing opportunity to smoke tons of good CCs over a short time period. I will never forget that, thank you Scott.

Dball-
Cigar Jesus played a pretty big roll in my CC slide. I have had the pleasure of trying many out of this world vintage cigars thanks to him. Come to think of it, he has ruined many not so vintage cigars for me. Damn you Dan.

Jonumberone-
I like to describe Dom as the nicest a-hole you will ever meet. He has helped me with many box order reccomendations, all that payed off. And he has an eye for fashion. I have herfed with Dom on many occasions and have learned a lot from him. I remember my first herf.
Oh and Dom gives the best hugs.

Taki, Digs, SteelCityBoy-
Without these bastads I would have never been introduced to the world of cigars.
Although Taki gave me my first cigar (an Acid Toast, some friend ) these guys all pushed me into the life style and I have enjoyed tons of herfs on The Wood over the last few years. We all started offline and I had to drag them all here.

The generosity of so many others here as well has made me appreciate the brotherhood and enrichment of life this hobby has brought me.

I can't forget about Mac, Frank, Remo, DPD Andrew, Kevin STS, Angel, EricF, Keith BigAsh & Larry!

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 05-28-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #37
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

OnLine.. Stogie Review hands down changed my cigar life.

Offline.... Walt White a great friend, who loves firearms and cigars...
Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #38
FUEL
Just 6 days...

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road

Was away in my "own little world" for the weekend. Nice to read some of your posts!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #39
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

Mine were a mixture of online and offline (herfs and phone calls).

Pnoon got me into this, gave me a parachute (with holes) and kicked me of the cliff.

Mo The Man, SD Beerman, Goatlocker, Poker, markem, and Leo (not active on this forum) to name the others. Of course, there are many more over the years (sorry if I didn't list you).

Thanks to all! I will continue to learn from and appreciate your knowledge and experience.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #40
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

Interesting thread.

Online - definitely clubstogie and a member who actually got banned () for selling too many cigars (the good old cottage industry). He introduced me to Tatuaje's and Padron's. If it was not for his suggestions, I probably would have given up as I could not stand the cigars I was trying from B&Ms (Montecristos, Cohibas, Ashton Cabinets... basically cigars with tobacco from the DR). After he got banned, I was a little confused and Tom (icehog3) really helped me out and answered a lot of my questions.

Offline - Probably another member who is no longer around. I am going to have to go with Jesse (soulskater). I had a free plane ticket I had to use before it expired and talked my wife into letting me go to SoCal 8 (I think it was SoCal 8). I was not the type of person to fly somewhere to hang out with people I really didn't know who I met on the internet. My wife thought I was crazy as well. Go figure, I have now been to six in a row if my count is correct. Jesse answered all of my questions and made me feel welcome when I arrived knowing absolutely nobody.

Good times!
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote