Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Stock market speculation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddevildog82 View Post
If a deal is worked out, my guess is the Dow rolls past 13,000.
In what time frame?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #22
baddevildog82

about a day! If it was finalized today, I think it would roll past 13000 tomorrow. This is my opinion and I am not a financial adviser by any means, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #23
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddevildog82 View Post
about a day! If it was finalized today, I think it would roll past 13000 tomorrow. This is my opinion and I am not a financial adviser by any means, so take it with a grain of salt.
While a resolution of the US issues would cause a large rebound (13,000 within a week of the resolution would seem reasonable to me) - don't expect miracles. We still have Greece/Italy to make people scream "OH TEH NOEZ" and run for risk-averse investments.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #24
baddevildog82

I figure that a day is a good amount of time for people to forget about the other bad things going on. If a deal were finalized tomorrow (Friday), then there would be a whole weekend for people to remember the other bad things and in that case, I don't think it would hit 13000 on the following Monday.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:33 AM   #25
b.morales99

We are very cautious nowadays of the what's happening in the US since it would greatly affect our stock market other than that analyst predict a five year bull run.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #26
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Been 5 days now. We've seen 2 days of market freefall since then and Exchange rates have dropped quite a bit. The USD has been losing against the EUR for nearly 3 weeks now (keeping in mind that the EUR is also in danger - it is the most realistic comparison to gauge how the world sees the USD debt crisis vs. the EUR debt crisis).

The S&P 500 has gone from 1,345.02 to 1,313.07 in 2.25 days. That's a loss of 31.95 points or a 2.4% drop. Yikes.
The DJIA hasn't done much better - going from 12,681.16 to 12,399.54. That's a loss of 281.62 points or a 2.2% drop.

In short - OH GOD THE SKY IS FALLING.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #27
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Invest in cats, the new white meat.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #28
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Debt ceiling bill has officially passed through. Still a lot of tension regarding where the budget cuts will hit and what amounts. I'll be watching the stock market today to see what the knee-jerk reaction is.

EDIT: Already spiking up. Look to see what happens on August 2nd, 2011 from 1:00PM (eastern time) and on. A lot of fear regarding imminent melt down has been resolved but there is still the possibility of a downgrade from Moody's and a likely downgrade from S&P (they've stated a $4 trillion budget cut would be required for the US gov't to maintain its AAA rating).

Whether or not the increase will sustain, continue to increase, or resume decreasing is honestly a crapshoot in my mind.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Apoco; 08-02-2011 at 11:09 AM.