Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #2441
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo456 View Post
Some bands do lose their gold paint on contact.
What???
Old 08-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #2442
Fredo456
Addicted

First Name: Fred
Trading: (3)
Fredo456 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
What???
I remembered this from a cigar I tried in my noobie days, but I can't remember what it was.

So I went to my stash, and I thought the Casa Magna Colorado seemed like a good one to try: the gold paint does comme off, in the form of little sparkling dots, as in the OP's question.

Not all gold paints do that, but it seems that the "powdery" type does come off the band a little.
Fredo456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #2443
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo456 View Post
I remembered this from a cigar I tried in my noobie days, but I can't remember what it was.

So I went to my stash, and I thought the Casa Magna Colorado seemed like a good one to try: the gold paint does comme off, in the form of little sparkling dots, as in the OP's question.

Not all gold paints do that, but it seems that the "powdery" type does come off the band a little.
Okay, now I understand!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #2444
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (2)
Army (Disabled Vet)
Byaah is on a distinguished road

When I go into a B&M, what things should I arm myself with before I go in and make a purchase? I am not trying to get at I think they may try to pull a fast one on me, I just want to have as much realistic info I can have going in!

Anything from the most simple tips and tricks to well I don't even know (or I would not be asking lol!)

As for cigars I really don't know to much so what you can teach me would be great!

Or should this even be a worry?
Byaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #2445
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

I would suggest going online and reading some reviews of the shop you're thinking of visiting. See what other customers have to say about the place, employees and condition of the cigars.

If it's a reputable shop then you shouldn't have to worry too much about the employees trying to upsell you on cigars. Don't be afraid to ask questions and let them know that you're new to all this. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you out, after all, we all had to start somewhere in this hobby.

While you're browsing the selection of cigars keep an eye out for a hygrometer and take a look at the humidity reading. Granted, room sized humidors will have variances in humidity from one section to another, but if it's reading in the 40-50% range that's usually not a good sign. Also, check out the condition of the cigars. Are the shelves neatly arranged? Are the cigars damaged or just strewn about in their boxes? Is the place clean? I've walked out of B&M's before just based on how messy and disorganized their humidor was. If the shop doesn't care about simple things like neat presentation then they probably don't care too much about their cigars either.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #2446
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

First Name: Brandon
Army (Disabled Vet)
Byaah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
Hope this helps!

Solid info, simple approach, thank you!
Byaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #2447
cigarmarine
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: lashun
MarineCorps
cigarmarine is on a distinguished road

Hello CIA family new to the sight. I've been enjoying cigars for a while now, but I'm looking to expand my knowledge,expertise, and taste on the subject. So if there anyone who has the patience to deal with a newbie I'm ready to soak up all of the knowledge out there
cigarmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #2448
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmarine View Post
Hello CIA family new to the sight. I've been enjoying cigars for a while now, but I'm looking to expand my knowledge,expertise, and taste on the subject. So if there anyone who has the patience to deal with a newbie I'm ready to soak up all of the knowledge out there
Welcome to the asylum. Go try the newbie sampler trade. It will broaden your cigar horizons.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #2449
stevef2005
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
stevef2005 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmarine View Post
Feel free to ask just about any question on here as well. Most folks are more than willing to share knowledge. Welcome to the mad house. You might also swing over to the New Inmate Processing area and give an introduction. Good smoking!!
stevef2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #2450
tfiechtner
uh-oh

First Name: Todd
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
tfiechtner is on a distinguished road

What's required to start purchasing?
tfiechtner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #2451
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfiechtner View Post
What's required to start purchasing?
The Buy/Sell Forums become visible after a small amount of time and participation.

The Retailer Forums should be visible to you immediately, you can buy from any of them.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #2452
TXSmokey
huh

First Name: Richard
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
TXSmokey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byaah View Post
When I go into a B&M, what things should I arm myself with before I go in and make a purchase?

an AK-47, and a big suitcase to put all the cigars in.
TXSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #2453
TXSmokey
huh

Montecristo

I've seen pics of cigar asylum poker chips and stickers, is there a website I can buy some from?
Old 09-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #2454
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSmokey View Post
I've seen pics of cigar asylum poker chips and stickers, is there a website I can buy some from?
Unfortunately, no.

Mike (Remo) did both runs of the chips. Shoot him a PM to see if he has more.

I will look into getting some more stickers made.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #2455
TXSmokey
huh

Montecristo

ok Thanks
Old 09-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #2456
LaugaBoy
Just in from the Storm

LaugaBoy is on a distinguished road

So, I've decided I wanted to try cigar smoking as a hobby. My question is : Can I get a good, relatively inexpensive (~$10) cigar at any given tobacco shack, or should I buy from online stores? I don't exactly trust buying anything online, but if it is a must, and can be done safely without having to worry about someone getting my credit card information, than I'll make an exception. Somebody help.
LaugaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #2457
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaugaBoy View Post
So, I've decided I wanted to try cigar smoking as a hobby. My question is : Can I get a good, relatively inexpensive (~$10) cigar at any given tobacco shack, or should I buy from online stores? I don't exactly trust buying anything online, but if it is a must, and can be done safely without having to worry about someone getting my credit card information, than I'll make an exception. Somebody help.
Welcome to the Asylum! Local taxes can really affect the prices of cigars, but you should be able to accomplish this. Go to a tobacconist who specializes in premium cigars and they can show you an assortment of affordable cigars, I am sure. There was a thread started recently regarding the same question with many good suggestions already. Just read some of the more recent threads in the All Cigar Discussion forum.

Also, there are several reputable online retailers where you can safely order cigars. Many, many members order online regularly and have very few issues. Happy smoking!
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #2458
LaugaBoy
Just in from the Storm

LaugaBoy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Welcome to the Asylum! Local taxes can really affect the prices of cigars, but you should be able to accomplish this. Go to a tobacconist who specializes in premium cigars and they can show you an assortment of affordable cigars, I am sure. There was a thread started recently regarding the same question with many good suggestions already. Just read some of the more recent threads in the All Cigar Discussion forum.

Also, there are several reputable online retailers where you can safely order cigars. Many, many members order online regularly and have very few issues. Happy smoking!
Thanks!
LaugaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #2459
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaugaBoy View Post
So, I've decided I wanted to try cigar smoking as a hobby. My question is : Can I get a good, relatively inexpensive (~$10) cigar at any given tobacco shack, or should I buy from online stores?
Start off at the local tobacco shop and there's plenty of great cigars under $10. Try the big names first and keep the size similar if you want to compare brands.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #2460
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

In my experience online is cheaper. Try some samplers from places like cigarsinternational.com or famous-smoke.com If you have any problems with your shipment their customer service is usually pretty good.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote