Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #1981
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Haha no don't smoke infused, thanks guys!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #1982
Rob_M
Livin' on Island time

First Name: Rob
Trading: (2)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Rob_M is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:50 AM   #1983
Cookee
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Justin
Trading: (0)
Cookee is on a distinguished road

Was curious if there was a place on forums where you can post really like this cigar and get recommendations on similar cigars. Sorry but my fail searching is not turning anything up yet. A link or Subject would be much appreciated, did not want to ask in wrong place.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #1984
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Was curious if there was a place on forums where you can post really like this cigar and get recommendations on similar cigars. Sorry but my fail searching is not turning anything up yet. A link or Subject would be much appreciated, did not want to ask in wrong place.
After a time on here, you'll notice some inmates may have the same tastes as you in likes and dislikes. You'll learn whose recommendations carry more weight in your flavor profiles.

Otherwise a post with what you like now asking for similar profiles will net you some recommendations.
Just don't go crazy ordering hundreds of boxes of a current fave, because you'll find your profile may change in the future.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #1985
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I hang out me read the reviews looking for the profiles I might enjoy.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #1986
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm new here and to cigars and the best advice i can give from one noob to another is find your local B&M (brick and mortar ..see we're noobs) store and just ask the person working there, tell them what you like or are interested in and they should point you to lots of choices, it's worked for me. Also found while you shouldn't let them push you into buying 200 bucks worth of sticks it is polite to buy a couple there.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #1987
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Just saw this and since I had an answer, thought I'd post...

You are in the right forum. The All Cigar Discussion forum is the right place for a thread such as "I really like <X> what's similar". It will generate off topic comments, etc. but you will also get on topic replies. The All Cigar Discussion forum really is the place to discuss cigars and get input and ideas.

As has already been mentioned, don't just run out and buy a bunch of boxes. Sometimes it's best to look for a trade (you may not have access to that forum yet) and I'm sure that some people will contact you via PM for more in-depth discussions.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #1988
Mentallyrechartd
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeff
Mentallyrechartd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Just don't go crazy ordering hundreds of boxes of a current fave, because you'll find your profile may change in the future.
Excellent advice for someone new to our hobby. It can be tempting to find a cigar you love now, and then buy an entire box or two, thinking you've found THE cigar for you, only to realize halfway in that your palate has changed and they no longer have the same appeal. Also, be careful chasing the "limited editions" or "hard to finds". While fun, it can get expensive. Best to "tour" the regular selection at your local B&M, and expand your palate.
Mentallyrechartd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #1989
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

If I put cigars in a ziplock bag, and put them in my coolidor, will they dry out from the humidity not being able penetrate the seal of the bag?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #1990
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
If I put cigars in a ziplock bag, and put them in my coolidor, will they dry out from the humidity not being able penetrate the seal of the bag?
The bag will slow any of the regulating effect of the coolidor. If the sticks in the bag are too wet, they'll remain that way for a longer period, and if dry, it will be difficult to get them up to the proper humidity. Crack the top of the bag open to remedy that.

Last edited by 14holestogie; 01-27-2013 at 08:57 AM.
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #1991
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
If moisture can't get in, it can't get out either. The cigars would remain at whatever moisture level they were when you placed them in the bag.

Such being said, I don't think all ziplocs are actually 100% non-permeable / don't leak over time.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #1992
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

It's winter and of course my heat is on in my house. It's not forced air I have radiators but I know it still dries my house out. I have multiple humorous and the RH is dropping drastically. My temp is staying at around 70-72 degrees. But I have 2 table top humidors one 25 and one 50 count that have an RH showing 64%. One- 2 foot tall display humidor with shelves and some boxes on the bottom, My hydrometer is on the middle shelf showing 66%. and coolidor that is pretty good showing a 68 usually, but I added some goodies to it and it dropped down to 66% ( should level out when stogies get settled). But I am worried about 64% in the table tops and I'm worried if the cigars in the bottom stand up are also at 66%. I have plenty of gels and boveda packs in there Am I anal or should I be worried? I have expensive cigars and I'll be furious if anything happens to my stash, anything helps, thanks guys
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #1993
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

64% to 66% is optimum, IMO. Cigars tend to burn better and are less likely to develop mold. Subjectively, one can say they might taste better too.

70F/70% is a bullshit marketing ploy made up to sell PG solution.

Last edited by T.G; 01-28-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #1994
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
It's winter and of course my heat is on in my house. It's not forced air I have radiators but I know it still dries my house out. I have multiple humorous and the RH is dropping drastically. My temp is staying at around 70-72 degrees. But I have 2 table top humidors one 25 and one 50 count that have an RH showing 64%. One- 2 foot tall display humidor with shelves and some boxes on the bottom, My hydrometer is on the middle shelf showing 66%. and coolidor that is pretty good showing a 68 usually, but I added some goodies to it and it dropped down to 66% ( should level out when stogies get settled). But I am worried about 64% in the table tops and I'm worried if the cigars in the bottom stand up are also at 66%. I have plenty of gels and boveda packs in there Am I anal or should I be worried? I have expensive cigars and I'll be furious if anything happens to my stash, anything helps, thanks guys
Cigars are pretty resilient so there is no need to panic. You describe a common problem during the winter. Sometimes it's as easy to fix as re-seasoning your humidor -- the dry wood does not seal as well and re-seasoning causes the wood (and therefore the seams) to swell up.

If seasoning is not the problem you may want to upgrade your humidification -- adding more, or switching to a different type of humidification. You have lots of choices.

Finally, 64-66% RH is not bad -- many people keep their cigars at that RH. Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #1995
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

Thanks guys
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #1996
CJS
Lifting Expectations

First Name: Chrys
Cohiba
CJS is on a distinguished road

I have read somewhere that cigar manufacturer use either the Corona or the Robusto as the base sizes when they make their blends. Is this true?

And if it is the case, does this mean that a corona and a mareva of the same brand would taste exactly the same (or at least very very similar) and the difference would just be in the length?
CJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #1997
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS View Post
I have read somewhere that cigar manufacturer use either the Corona or the Robusto as the base sizes when they make their blends. Is this true?

And if it is the case, does this mean that a corona and a mareva of the same brand would taste exactly the same (or at least very very similar) and the difference would just be in the length?
No. Example: A Montecristo #1, #3, #4, and Tubos are all the same ring except for the length, yet they are all blended differently.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #1998
Fredo456
Addicted

First Name: Fred
Trading: (3)
Fredo456 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
No. Example: A Montecristo #1, #3, #4, and Tubos are all the same ring except for the length, yet they are all blended differently.
Where do you find the information about the specific blends? (For Habanos, but also for NC cigars)?
Fredo456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #1999
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo456 View Post
Where do you find the information about the specific blends? (For Habanos, but also for NC cigars)?

I've mainly been doin' the google and reading different reviews and form my own "idea" from that, as far as blends and what to expect on the palette, if that's what you mean. The reviews will often tell you the basics of the blends, wrappers used etc.,

Or you can try the blend database here http://robustojoe.com/cigar-blends/
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #2000
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I've mainly been doin' the google and reading different reviews and form my own "idea" from that, as far as blends and what to expect on the palette, if that's what you mean. The reviews will often tell you the basics of the blends, wrappers used etc.,

Or you can try the blend database here http://robustojoe.com/cigar-blends/
What you are doing by reading a cross-section of reviews to see if a particular cigar might fight your desired flavor profile is a good way to get an idea of what a particular cigar might be like, if you can drown out the conjecture and personal opinion in the reviews and just focus on flavors. Eventually, you'll find a friend or reviewer or two who seem to have similar tastes as you and you can just hone in on their comments and reviews when looking at a cigar you haven't tried yet.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what you read about NC blends as they are intentionally vague. For example, when you read "Habano" or "Havana Seed", this could be any one of scores of different strains of tobacco. Even "Corojo" or "Criollo" could be any one of a dozen plus. Some blends don't even tell you that much, they will say something like "Esteli" or "Jalapa", well, BFD, those are just two growing regions in Nicaragua, doesn't tell anything about what varietal or stain of tobacco, and to even further break it down, what seed supplier and which one of their tweaked varieties.

As for that list, I see no "blends" on there, it's more like a list of factories with the occasionally a blender, and it's not even a very accurate list at that.

Last edited by T.G; 02-05-2013 at 04:24 PM.