Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #21
Mr Edmundo
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (15)
Montecristo
Mr Edmundo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tips For Smoking Outside In The Winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruce View Post
Dress really warm......
Layers upon layers. Take care of the extremities. They cool down the fastest. Expect the wrapper to crack. Just part of the deal. Shorter smokes for sure. Smaller ring gauges as well. Pick your moments. If you can sit where the sun is shining, makes a big difference. A white wall behind you will radiate back some heat.
January and February are the most brutal months.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #22
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Just got done smoking a Kristoff Maddie in the garage and had the same problem with the wrapper splitting. When I first started it wasn't too bad out there but than my wife was nice enough to open the garage door for 10 minutes while she got ready to take the dogs for their walk and it went from not so bad to F'in cold. That's about the same time the wrapper took off on me. (Thanks sweetie!) Ahh well, the smoke had to be smoked as I have been eye balling that stick since I bought right before Christmas. Hoping it warms up a bit next week like they are saying it should as smoking in 50 degree weather will be much more enjoyable than 30. Before tonight it was probably 2 weeks since my last smoke due to this damn weather. If this cold weather keeps up it looks like I'll be digging the Pepin Perlas and LFD Carajos from the back of the humi.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
madurofan
Random Idiot

First Name: Bill
Trading: (3)
Guantanamera Navy
madurofan has disabled reputation

Don't
Old 01-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #24
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurofan View Post
Don't.....
....move back up North from Florida.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #25
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
good time to smoke the Gurkhas!

NO TIME is a good time to smoke a Gurkha.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #26
Uflbassin

Well, Florida winters aren't too harsh but I have had the same problem before. Usually now I'll just light up a fire in my grill to keep me warm while I'm smoking. It seems like it helps just by keeping the area a good bit warmer, I typically don't have issues with the wrapper cracking any more. Either that or an outdoor heater may do the trick, not to mention making the whole experience more enjoyable.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #27
Smoking Q

Lately I've been sitting in my truck, sun roof open, garage door cracked, while ocasionally turning on the car for heat. It's 24 degrees right now and I'm enjoying a J.Fuego Delrium with no problem, I'll use some frebreeze when I'm done
Old 01-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #28
fsjonsey
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
fsjonsey is on a distinguished road

My solution is a bit unorthodox.

I own two Corvairs. Both are 1962 sedans. One is an Arizona car that is currently undergoing a full restoration, and the other, the white car pictured above, is a beat up summer driver, with terminal rust issues in every place that counts (lifetime Northeast Ohio car-road salt is evil stuff). The beater has become my winter smoking space. I ran an extension cord in through the window, removed the carpets so they wouldn't get stinky, hooked up a small space heater, and wallah.. instant heated smoking room. I sit in the drivers seat, and placed a sheet of thin plywood over the passenger's seat, which has become the table for my ashtray, reading lamp, and beverage. I open the garage door about half way to vent the smoke, and leave the car's windows cracked to let fresh air in.
The vinyl seats and dash pad dont pick up the smell, and once spring time comes around a quick wipe with a soapy rag takes away any traces of smoke smell that may be lingering. I've been doing this for two years. It's pretty much become my go-to space for getting my college readings done, most recently being Plato's Republic.

Last edited by fsjonsey; 01-11-2010 at 11:41 PM.
fsjonsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #29
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Awesome!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #30
dccraft

I just opt for some shorter smokes and save the larger ones for the warmer weather. Life in the garage is not ideal, but it works. The larger smoke I have had some issues with the wrapper but not so much on the robustos.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #31
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Matthew
Trading: (4)
paris1129 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
My solution is a bit unorthodox.

I own two Corvairs. Both are 1962 sedans. One is an Arizona car that is currently undergoing a full restoration, and the other, the white car pictured above, is a beat up summer driver, with terminal rust issues in every place that counts (lifetime Northeast Ohio car-road salt is evil stuff). The beater has become my winter smoking space. I ran an extension cord in through the window, removed the carpets so they wouldn't get stinky, hooked up a small space heater, and wallah.. instant heated smoking room. I sit in the drivers seat, and placed a sheet of thin plywood over the passenger's seat, which has become the table for my ashtray, reading lamp, and beverage. I open the garage door about half way to vent the smoke, and leave the car's windows cracked to let fresh air in.
The vinyl seats and dash pad dont pick up the smell, and once spring time comes around a quick wipe with a soapy rag takes away any traces of smoke smell that may be lingering. I've been doing this for two years. It's pretty much become my go-to space for getting my college readings done, most recently being Plato's Republic.
That is awesome!

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
paris1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #32
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
50?! How about we rename this thread to "How do I smoke in t-shirt weather?"
Posted via Mobile Device
As a matter of fact it was 55 and sunny here yesterday and I sat out in front of the house at the picnic table in my t-shirt and smoked a great PL Panatella.

Just try that at what it was last week -13 and windy.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #33
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

We do outdoor herfs in October in Metro Detroit when the temp is in the low 50s and I don't remember anyone having issues. Maybe your garage has a real low RH or something.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #34
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
We do outdoor herfs in October in Metro Detroit when the temp is in the low 50s and I don't remember anyone having issues. Maybe your garage has a real low RH or something.
Tried Again Yesterday Outside On The Patio @ 50*, 17RH. My House Stays @ 55RH Year Round With My Heat Pump & Special Humidifier & Cigars Are Stored @ 63-65RH, Indoor Temps 72 At The Moment. Nice La Riqueza Wrapper Completely Unraveled. Guess The RH Swings From 65 To 17 Are Too Much!

Last edited by longknocker; 01-12-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #35
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Would pulling the cigar you plan on smoking from the humidor a few hours prior to smoking help?
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #36
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

I don't think moving a cigar from 70 or so degrees to 50 should have any effect on how it smokes. Nor from 70 degrees to the teens. A quick drop in RH should not matter either.
My guess is that the whole cigar is not at the same humidity. It sounds like the lower RH of 65 is probably not accurate through out the entire cigar and the wrapper and the binder maybe too dry. As the filler is moister it will expand with heat.

IMHO it's very important that a cigar is stored for a long period of time in optimum conditions before it is smoked in any environment, extreme or not.
I usually age my cigars for three to five years before I smoke them. At least 6 months is enough for most cigars. If the entire cigar is in balance it should smoke well, unless it's a dog rocket to begin with.

I've smoked cigars with zero humidity in the desert at a 100 degrees, 100 percent humidity in the tropics, and zero humidity at 15 below on Mt. Washington. No problems. It's all about the care. Frequent rotation, lots of care for RH, careful temperature control, and lots of love.

As others have mentioned, you may want to stick with a good leathery wrapper from CT on PA. You go out in the cold you put some gloves on heh? Consider a nice maduro wrapper a glove for your cigar.
Wishing you the best of luck.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #37
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Gato View Post
I don't think moving a cigar from 70 or so degrees to 50 should have any effect on how it smokes. Nor from 70 degrees to the teens. A quick drop in RH should not matter either.
My guess is that the whole cigar is not at the same humidity. It sounds like the lower RH of 65 is probably not accurate through out the entire cigar and the wrapper and the binder maybe too dry. As the filler is moister it will expand with heat.

IMHO it's very important that a cigar is stored for a long period of time in optimum conditions before it is smoked in any environment, extreme or not.
I usually age my cigars for three to five years before I smoke them. At least 6 months is enough for most cigars. If the entire cigar is in balance it should smoke well, unless it's a dog rocket to begin with.

I've smoked cigars with zero humidity in the desert at a 100 degrees, 100 percent humidity in the tropics, and zero humidity at 15 below on Mt. Washington. No problems. It's all about the care. Frequent rotation, lots of care for RH, careful temperature control, and lots of love.

As others have mentioned, you may want to stick with a good leathery wrapper from CT on PA. You go out in the cold you put some gloves on heh? Consider a nice maduro wrapper a glove for your cigar.
Wishing you the best of luck.
Thanks, Jeff! I Did Smoke A Very "Tough" Perdoma Maduro 1 Hr. Ago With Just A Slight Wrapper Unraveling, Much Better Than The Fragile La Riqueza I Had Last Nite. I'm Very Picky About My sticks And Have Rested Most Of These I've Smoked At Least 6 Months. Think I'll Stick To The Maduros 'til The Weather Warms Up! Thanks For All The Tips, Inmates!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #38
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Has To Be The Humidity Drop From 55 In The House To 17 Outside. Fired Up One Of My Favorites This Morning Outside On The Patio With The Patio Heater Going. 43* & 58 RH. El Original Claro Lancero Which Has A Very Fragile Conn. Wrapper. Perfect Smoke! No Unraveling or Burn Issues!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #39
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
50?! How about we rename this thread to "How do I smoke in t-shirt weather?"
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm in agreement there.

I'm in the same boat here...I had some buddies up to my place recently and we were attempting to smoke on the deck but it was sooo cold (like 16 degrees cold) that it seemed like I was having a hard time staying lit. Can the cold have that affect on a cigar?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #40
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurofan View Post
Don't
That OR...............
Move to Florida!!!