Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
Outlaw God
John 3:16

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (2)
Outlaw God is on a distinguished road
Default Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ Selectos Maduro Review

$7. pluse
5.0" x 50
Country Manufactured: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Strength: Medium-Full
Shape: Robusto

Prelight: Cedar, earthy barnyard, chocolate, some type of flora note

Drink: Jose's Colombia Supremo coffee

1st 1/3
Earth and big pepper right off, great draw

Smoothing out, getting now notes of cocoa, espresso, and caramel but lightly with earth and pepper dominating, burn is nice and straight.

With the flavors I'm getting there working together nicely and most of all no bitterness but giving me a creamy finish

Ash held for an inch and a half.

2nd 1/3
Mixing this morning stick with Jose's Colombia Supremo coffee I get at Costco, nice medium roast blend that complements well (pic below)

Burning cool, all the flavors mix now in a complex manner so desired by veterans of the hobby

The notes fade back and forth to the forefront as all good cigars should
Taking off the top cigar rings that' going to run into the 2nd 1/3 soon.

What I don't get yet and maybe won't is any sweetness in the cigar but that's fine because of the design.

Final 1/3
Unlike many of Pepin’s blends this one hangs back in heavy pepper and acceptable with me.
Going towards roasted nuts to smooth leather

Lower band now has to be taken off, wish I would save all my cigar bands in a fish bowl like I see sometimes in B&M stores .

Not recommended to beginners, definitely spicy and has strong full flavors from beginning to end.

This cigar is one of those that would age well in the humidor to tame the pepper a bit more.

Over all a great cigar but for plus $7. for me there are better stick to be had for my taste for sweeter flavorful cigars similar to Genesis The Project by Ramon Bueso

Ending with the roasted nuts, smooth leather and pepper notes, the nicotine hit was low and don't like a heavy N buzz anyway.
Happy 4th of July all!
Smoke time 1 hr 10 min
Score 8.5 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100081.jpg (118.1 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg 330711b.jpg (21.3 KB, 357 views)
Old 07-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ Selectos Maduro Review

My favorite of all of the DPGs.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Outlaw God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
My favorite of all of the DPGs.
I agree, a tamer Don
Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Wonderful Cigar right there!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

A wonderful cigar.
These used to run $230 a box not too many years ago, and were worth every dime. They've suffered quite a bit with mass production, but are still pretty close to where they began. They just aren't quite as full and the maduro wrapper isn't as flavorful.
I had always hoped they'd make a lancero, and still do. They made a handful in '06 or '07, I believe. You could get one in a sampler. I only had a few over the years, but if they made them now I'd have a box for sure.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Chico57
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (0)
Chico57 is on a distinguished road

This cigar is my favorite Pepin cigar. I think they are no longer made as it is getting difficult to find them. Does anyone have any info on this?
Chico57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Outlaw God

Good to know my reviews are accepted and respected but not my questions that I need to do my own home work and not trust the experience of other members
Old 08-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw God View Post
Good to know my reviews are accepted and respected but not my questions that I need to do my own home work and not trust the experience of other members
Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Really? Let's look at the "cellophane incident":
1) You posted the opinion of an author who stated that cellophane slows or even halts the aging process and he prefers to remove the cellophane.
2) Several very experienced smokers thought that went 100% against their experiences, especially since cellophane is porous and let's the cigar "breathe".
3) You took issue - rightly so - with those that criticized your point based on the author's photo.
4) Other's agreed with you for that.
5) To bolster your support for the author's claims, you posted two photographs of obviously moldy cigars, claiming it was plume while stating "...it's NOT mold", and wrongly stating that plume was an indicator of "richer aging", whatever that means.
6) Everybody and their grandma pointed out that what you were claiming was plume was in fact mold. Others pointed out that plume, when it occurs, is only an indicator of proper storage, not this nebulous "richer aging".
7) You claimed that a clique was out to get you through judgmental criticism and proceeded to label people who did not agree with you "despairing old men" and "the flaming pinhole view of life crowd".

You might want to step back and take a broader look at this. You expected people to take your opinion as fact, yet you refused to give others the same benefit. When it was pointed out - rightly so - that you were wrong in thinking that mold was plume, you resulted to name-calling and insults. Either just about everyone who responded to you is for some unfathomable reason out to get you or maybe...just maybe...you were in the wrong.

A question: did you ever take pnoon's advice and post your pictures of moldy cigars to other cigar forums and ask "Is this mold or plume?" If so, what was the result? If you had, you would have been told that it was mold. I would assume that in that case you would be adult enough to apologize to those you insulted here at CA.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
Outlaw God

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
O darn cant put you on my ignore list
I like that picture will uses it for my Avatar
I guess 76 reviews is not a contribution to the forum
Next Ill be accused of plagiarism
Old 08-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
O darn cant put you on my ignore list
Should only be the moderators (who own the site) and forum administrators. I'll get one of the mods to remove me from being a forum administrator just so that you can put me on your ignore list. You can ask them, but they may be able to load the entire member roster to your ignore list in one go. I'm sure it help you to enjoy the site.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Review this for us.
Someone please quote me on this post so he has the opportunity to read it.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Review this for us.
Someone please quote me on this post so he has the opportunity to read it.

Ask and ye shall receive.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Posts like this only invite criticism and ridicule.

Time to put the shovel down.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
pnoon
YNWA

Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Really? Let's look at the "cellophane incident":
1) You posted the opinion of an author who stated that cellophane slows or even halts the aging process and he prefers to remove the cellophane.
2) Several very experienced smokers thought that went 100% against their experiences, especially since cellophane is porous and let's the cigar "breathe".
3) You took issue - rightly so - with those that criticized your point based on the author's photo.
4) Other's agreed with you for that.
5) To bolster your support for the author's claims, you posted two photographs of obviously moldy cigars, claiming it was plume while stating "...it's NOT mold", and wrongly stating that plume was an indicator of "richer aging", whatever that means.
6) Everybody and their grandma pointed out that what you were claiming was plume was in fact mold. Others pointed out that plume, when it occurs, is only an indicator of proper storage, not this nebulous "richer aging".
7) You claimed that a clique was out to get you through judgmental criticism and proceeded to label people who did not agree with you "despairing old men" and "the flaming pinhole view of life crowd".

You might want to step back and take a broader look at this. You expected people to take your opinion as fact, yet you refused to give others the same benefit. When it was pointed out - rightly so - that you were wrong in thinking that mold was plume, you resulted to name-calling and insults. Either just about everyone who responded to you is for some unfathomable reason out to get you or maybe...just maybe...you were in the wrong.

A question: did you ever take pnoon's advice and post your pictures of moldy cigars to other cigar forums and ask "Is this mold or plume?" If so, what was the result? If you had, you would have been told that it was mold. I would assume that in that case you would be adult enough to apologize to those you insulted here at CA.
Yet another good example of people trying to help that seems to fall on deaf ears.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Being in sales, I did read that book. Twice, at least. There is actually some great general information in there.

Though I don't agree with "winning friends." Gaining friendship is natural, in meeting people who share the same ideas/concepts/worldview as you, or at least agreeable to them. "Winning" friends seems one is being deceptive to gain friendships, and I don't associate with people like that.

/splitting hairs.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I think it might be best to let the fires die down and ignore all of this. It is clear that the OP it not going to change his behavior here so continuing to push for that kind of change only makes this messy for everyone.

I think it would be best to limit all rebuttal comments to those that correct any errors and let everything else go.

Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #18
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my Top 5 sticks ever. Love these!!